“One of my favorite hotels in Atlantic City”

Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We just came back from 3 nights at Harrah's. Upon checking in, we were told that we were being upgraded to the Waterfront tower for free. I have no idea why they did that, but it was a nice surprise. Our room was HUGE, that bathroom was remodeled and really nice with a huge shower, etc. The view was pretty nice as well. Not full waterfront, but nicer than many other rooms we've stayed in at other resorts.
We used valet and always had a pleasant experience with them. It never took more than 2 to 3 minutes to get our car when we needed it (we left the resort every day) so that was very convenient for us.
We really enjoyed the selection of restaurants and bars in the resort as well and we wished we had brought our bathing suits because the pool was so enticing every afternoon.
A few things to note - the room service menu is EXTREMELY overprice. For example, toast or an english muffin is $4. Seriously??
We found it frustrating that there were always a bunch of table games closed in the casino. We enjoy playing roulette but the tables were always over crowded because they didn't have enough open. Also, the minimum was always $10, yet we found $5 roulette tables at Showboat. It would've been nice if they at least had one $5 table open.
They have the convenient system of ordering a drink from a slot machine and they always came relatively quickly. However, they don't have flavored vodka at the service bar, so if you want it, you have to go and buy a drink from the bar.
The mattress was not very comfortable and luckily I had brought my own pillow from home.
We didn't eat at the buffet this time, but we had eaten there a few months ago and it was awful. For some reason though, there was a line to get in every night. I guess a lot of people have comps for the buffet because I'd never pay $25 per person for that food.
The only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was this - when we checked out, we called the bell desk to have someone come pick up our bags for us from our room. When he came to get them, we tipped him. We then got our car from valet and tipped the guy who brought our car. Then there was another guy who brought our bags to the car. We didn't feel we needed to tip him because we had already tipped the bell hop previously, and we didn't request his services. But he stood at our car window, basically asking for his tip. My husband said "we already tipped the other guy" and he seemed annoyed about that, and continued standing there until we gave him a tip. I just found it extremely rude that he was flat out asking for a tip. I understand that they work for tips, but on the other hand, we didn't request his services and shouldn't be required to tip him. Next time, we will carry our own bags, even if we have 6 of them like we did this time.

1  Thank cindy9178

Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

it was one of the best hotels I stay in the US.do not miss the buffet !!!!!! this is one of the excellent buffet I ever tast.
rooms are very clean and big.
the service is very good all the hotel staff are very nice.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have stayed at Harrah's many times and usualy it's a great trip but the last time I stayed was not as nice! We always stay in the water tower and the room is always clean and comfortable but this summer my room and the pool area was just not as clean as I'm used to! The room including the bed linens was dirty,I did mention this to the maid and she changed the sheets but once again this is not what I'm used to at a place like Harrah's! The pool area was grundgy and reeked of stale beer both days we went! I would like to tell Harrah's that if your going to use the pool area as a night club you should realy power wash the remnants of a frat party away the next morning! All in all I will stay there again because it is a nice hotel and we had a wonderful dinner at Mcormic and Schmidt's and had a blast dancing the night away at the eden lounge!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joe M
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed there with a buddy of mine in September. Upon arriving there was a long line up to check in, about 30 people ahead of us. The staff was working diligently and the line was moving quickly, we got to the front after half hour, so not bad. The young lady checking us in was friendly and granted my request for a room in the Waterfront Tower, original booking was for Marina tower; but since it was getting mixed reviews I thought to try for a better tower. The room was very nice, big, and very comfortable. We had a nice view of the water. Large flat screen TV, lots of channels. The bed/pillows were super comfortable, loved the quality of sleep. Large bathroom, with large walk in shower, no tub. The room was clean. Room had small fridge, and coffee maker; only drawback was they only put one pouch of coffee (really???). That was quicly fixed, I located one of the housekeepers in the hallway and asked for more coffee, which he gave us right away. All the staff I had dealings with were friendly and helpful. The property is off the boardwalk, but we had a car, so no issues. Parking is for $5, which is something I am not used to, but whatever you are there to gamble for lots of money, so $5 won't break the bank. We ate at their buffet, which was very good, a little pricey though, 33 per person. The slots were very tight, put lots of money in and payouts were tiny. Played some blackjack there and did better. Went to the pool once, and it was nice, nothing as nice as Vegas pools, but still enjoyable; you need to show room key and I.D. to get in. This stay was comped except for $13 tax per day. Played briefly in their poker room, nothing special. Overall I would definitely go there again.

Room Tip: Waterfront or Bayview towers have nicer rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank geoa5
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I guess since I had heard of Harrah's, I must have had my expectations raised. But, it was just an average hotel. Rooms were clean enough. But smelled like cigarette smoke even though we were in no smoking. Hallway carpets needed attention as well as painting around the entire hotel. We had gone after Labor Day and were told that this is their off season. Two of the restaurants were closed and the pool/hot tubs closed at 7pm. Very disappointing. We asked the bartender where the excitement was, he told us to go to the Borgata. So, we took the jitney over there. Very nice, delicious food at the Metropolitan. Also, more reasonably priced food than at Harrah's.
The next day, we took the jitney to the boardwalk. A great day and were very impressed with the casinos down there. Beach is quite dirty with trash, boardwalk terriffic.

1  Thank scoutingabout
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I reviewed Harrah's a while ago and just wanted to add a few tips that came to light during a recent stay. My previous review was from the new tower of rooms and while I still enjoy going to Harrah's, I would encourage you to try to avoid the old Harbor tower. There is a noticeable difference in the quality of furnishings as well as the overall facilities and service as well. When we checked in on a Sunday there was a dirty room service table down the hall from us, and it was still there Tuesday morning when we checked out! On Sunday the ice machine on our floor was out of order and leaking all over the floor. I reported it and on Tuesday morning it was still broken and leaking. They did put a yellow caution sign there but that's not acceptable for a resort like this. Also the hot water was very slow to the shower and I probably wasted fifty gallons of water waiting for it to heat up. I know that there have been cut backs to staff in all the casinos, but have they gone too far?

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank landsold
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Be sure to stay in the Waterfront Tower or Bayview Tower. The rooms are exceptional and the view is beautiful. We were not impressed with the food at the burger cafe. The variety of casino games is great. If you are a Caesar's Entertainment Card Player, BEWARE of using your comps for purchases of any kind. Everything is 2 for 1. A big ripoff. The Diamond Lounge is very nice, you must pay $20 per couple (using comps only from your Diamond Card); however, they have a buffet that is certainly worth the price. Parking is free is you're a Diamond Card holder. I would recommend a car if you want to see the area and go to the boardwalk. There is a shuttle, but sometimes you must wait quite a while before it comes around and then it can be full.

1  Thank Pg59