“Good”

Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Montreal, Canada
“Good”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

There should be a good rating. Average would be detrimental and very good not accurate.

The place was clean, quiet, walking distance to the beach and the staff friendly. This is not a five-star hotel, but since our goal was to enjoy the AC's beach, this hotel was just fine. The poor neighborhood might be scary at first, but finally, only the Tennessee St. remains suspect going to the beach. The only negative thing about the Hotel is that the WiFi was not strong enough and we couldn't get the signal.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in late June for 3 nights over a weekend. Couldn't get a non smoking room, which was a big surprise for us with the Wyndham group. We could have moved later but chose not too. On site parking makes it easy.
Staff were really friendly and helpful. We assumed breakfast was included, but wasn't. However, the Diner attached was great.
A block or two from the boardwalk, so close to the action.
Our room was adequate, pretty clean and comfortable. The safe did not work.
The hotel seems a bit tired now but was pretty good value for money. Atlantic City overall seems on the decline, but we had fun.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brett M
mass
Reviewed July 22, 2014

we were there for 3 days with 2 teenagers. It was wonderful. The staff was accommodating, the pool was clean and inviting, and it was within walking distance to the beach and the Boardwalk. we would definetely go back here again!!

Room Tip: our room had two double beds and with 4 people we had plenty of room. It's affordable and family...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank joshstruck
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I'm going to put this review simply by noting the "Goods, Bads, and Uglies" of our recent stay at Howard Johnson Inn in Atlantic City.

Let's start with "the goods," shall we?

THE GOODS:
1. Rates are cheaper than other places you will find in the area.
2. The hotel is about two blocks away from the Atlantic City boardwalk (convenient!).
3. All the employees at the hotel were friendly, saying hello and goodbye to us as we entered and exited throughout the day.
4. The room was clean; we could tell that the housekeeper did a nice job on a daily basis.
5. The hotel is situated across from a beautiful Catholic church.
6. Parking is free (and hassle-free! Plenty of spaces, my friends).
7. We felt safe in this hotel.
8. We had no trouble checking in or checking out.
9. The swimming pool is pretty decent--one end is about 6-7 feet and the other around 3-4 feet deep. And the lifeguard working there when we jumped in was super friendly.
10. There is a cute little diner connected to the hotel called Perry's Café--meaning that breakfast is only a few steps away in the morning should you so desire to dine nearby.
11. The windows in our hotel were quite large.
12. Free WiFi. Can't go wrong there.
13. The lobby was quite nice and welcoming.

THE BADS/THE UGLIES:
1. It can get a little noisy outside in the mornings. I recommend closing your windows at night if you prefer not to be awakened by people walking the streets outside.
2. Some areas near this street seemed a little sketchy--perhaps what I'm trying to say is that you should employ the buddy system.
3. There were some stains on our walls, along with stains on the bathroom floor.
4. The free amenities (we're talking shampoo and conditioner here, specifically) are super cheap. Prepare to bring your own.
5. Originally I had thought that this hotel served a free breakfast. Let it be known that they do not.
6. The toilet paper roll was placed in such an odd location behind the toilet. Prepare to reach.
7. While you're reaching, don't be shocked to come across a roach trap.
8. The safe in our room wouldn't work, and for some reason late at night we only had three channels on our television. Shame.
9. There were several large markings on our bathroom mirror, creating an annoyance for a girl who needed to do her makeup.
10. As we were checking out, there was an exterminator van located outside the hotel. Not sure if the vehicle belonged to a guest, or there was a pest problem inside. (Just making an observational note here.)

According to this review, the goods outweigh the bads by three. Would we stay here again? Likely, only because we really didn't have a problem with the place aside from the 10 slight inconveniences/irregularities I've noted above. And, like I said, the room rates aren't bad compared to what you might pay for others of the same breed in this area of Atlantic City. Should you go for it? We vote yes, as other cheaper hotels looked a little too cheap, at least from the outside.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went down for a weekend. At first I was a bit skeptical of the location because the area seemed a bit ghetto, but I was pleasantly surprised with everything.

The service was great, the people at the front desk were very helpful and friendly. I was a worried about leaving my car in this type of area, but they had people who were going out about every 5 minutes checking on the parking lot. They let me check in about 4 hours early and they also let me check out later with no charge.

The rooms were very clean, and the pool on the second floor outside was nice. Also they have a diner adjacent to the lobby called Perry's Diner where my boyfriend and I went for breakfast, which was very good.

Overall I was pleased with our stay and it ended up being better than I expected. The only complaint I have is that the room was expensive, but it was a weekend and we did book last minute.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anastasia K
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The location is not bad
Hotel quality don't know about it cuz I change the hotel because the rude stupid and races guy at the front desk
I booked the hotel and the itelneary was very clear that I got 2 room double bed but he insist that I have to get one room double bed
Any way he is lucky that I forgot his name, but be advised to not book in this hotel

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank liwaa84

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I've walked by HJ many times to Atlantic City, but never had the opportunity to stay there. On a recent trip I stayed and was pleasantly surprised with the room, service and location. It has a convenient and pleasant breakfast and lunch diner on the first floor and a small, but adequate pool on the 2nd floor which will be good for cooling off on a hot day. Perry Arsenis, general manager was very helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo