“Basic- dont expect a resort”

Econo Lodge Beach and Boardwalk
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
South Jersey
“Basic- dont expect a resort”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for an overnight stay on Saturday 10/12/13. I read the reviews before I booked and they were all terrible. However 1) we weren’t staying overnight for the amenities at this hotel 2) We live 45 minutes away and just wanted a place to sleep, get up and go 3) My other options nearby ranged from $199 to over $600. We checked in and dropped our bags off at 6:00PM, went out and came back at 1:00 PM, slept, had coffee and were out of there by 10:00 am. Don’t compare this place to a resort. If you are looking at a budget hotel like this one then you will be completely mistaken to expect five star service and amenities.
To be fair, I am rating this place three stars because the front desk staff were very friendly, the coffee they served in the morning was A+++ delicious and the $69.99 price can’t be beat. We have BMW and we were not afraid to have this car in the lot the short time we were there. The other clientele had late model cars, a few Mercedes, lots of late model SUV’s, etc.
The room was plain, the bathroom and closet doors were horrible. If they would only replace the doors, then they rooms would appear 200% better. This place does need a remodel. It was just taken over by new management so maybe they will pay attention to these things.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank finerflower

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Burley, Idaho
Reviewed October 6, 2013

On our way thru the north east we also stopped to see the Casino capital of the northeast. The hotel was affordable and clean. It was also only miles away from the casinos and beach. The parking lot was well lit at night and the staff nice and helpful. Good visit and nice stay. The free breakfast was perfect for the price we paid. Good value hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had read reviews before we booked there. Most were good. The complaints that I read were it was noisy, prostitutes, moldy bathrooms and a very limited breakfast. It was a little noisy, but it didn't bother us. Atlantic City is a 24 hour city. The bathrooms are outdated, but so what?? They were clean. The carpet was the most bothersome for me. It was just old and very worn out/stained. We slept very well. The breakfast was limited, but it was free. It was enough to eat. They should put directions on how to use the waffle iron. We knew what to do, but there was a man who had never used one like that before and he ruined two waffles. The service was nice. The front desk people were nice.

Room Tip: Actually, the location was not the best. But for the price it was ok.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bottineau, North Dakota
Reviewed August 26, 2013

As a person that works at a Bed and Breakfast Inn, I am one who can "Critique"!
!. No Communication between Reservation Persons & Management! Ex. I requested a "Coffee
Maker", in my room,{because I had a room across the street in the motel that they Bought Out} and did not want to cross the street constantly to get Coffee! I was "Promised by the Person of whom took my Reservation", and Did NOT get one and I was there for (4 Days)! and I made numerous requests for one and ''NEVER'' got one!
2. Bathroom had small Flies, indication of unsanitary bathroom!
3. Rooms on the East Side or Ocean Side, across the Street, NOISY from Guests, who come in after 2 AM or Depart at 5 AM!
4. Need more People who can speak ENGLISH FLUENTLY!
5. I have Stayed here before, numerous times, but I ""WILL NOT BE BACK"!!!

Room Tip: Get one on ''OFFICE SIDE'' and Second Floor! Get down to Breakfast Area Early, afte...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank abbynormal1971
HotelManagement403, General Manager at Econo Lodge Beach and Boardwalk, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Patron,

First, we'd like to offer an apology for your experience with us. It seems we have failed to meet your expectations. Secondly, I'd like to take this time to point out that we are an equal opportunity employer. Your note of "Hiring more English speaking employees" is offensive to myself as well as our staff. We take pride in our mutli-cultural and diverse staff and so do many other guests who get to share travel experiences and languages with them. Our staff works very hard to make sure each guest has a great stay. They all try their best to communicate with each other and guests. We nor they can not help an accent. It is offensive to minimize them because they do not speak a fluent tongue like yourself.

You have noted that you will not stay with us again even after you have stayed with us before. In defense of my employees, I welcome that. They do not deserve to be subjected to such ignorance, especially in 2013.

Thank you again for your patronage, and we wish you luck in the future.
sanchepa
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I was able to check in early which was nice. Unfortunately, the place is filthy. The covers on the bed were stained. The sheets under the covers were also stained. I slept on top of the bed because I didn't want to sleep under the covers.

The worst part was the bathroom. The window here was only attached with duct tape. There was a mat over the shower floor. It was very moldy.

Next time I will spend the extra money to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank sanchepa
HotelManagement403, General Manager at Econo Lodge Beach and Boardwalk, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

It seems that you have mistaken us for another Econo Lodge in the Atlantic City Area. We please ask you to review the address of your stay as your description of the rooms bedding does not fit ours. We do not have covers on our bedding packages. We have a turned down, triple sheeting package., with white Tone on Tone 250 thread count sheets. Any stained linen would clearly be visible by our housekeeping and of course the guest.

If by chance, this is the correct place of your stay, please call us at the property so we further look into this matter. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year after getting married. My husband and I wanted something inexpensive just for a couple nights away from home. We found this hotel and never checked the reviews. I was looking through my bag in order to change for a nice romantic dinner and noticed a roach on my suitcase. I was like 'hmm maybe he came in from the outside" and didn't worry about it. The next morning I woke up and there were two in sink. Then I saw a dead one behind the TV. Which, we never used the TV. First, the remote had dead batteries and the front desk could not provide me with new ones. Then the cable went out. Real classy. Apparently there was a continental breakfast? I was never informed of it?

The hotel is awesome if you like hobos creeping in your window and hearing the people above you arguing violently!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Pamela U
HotelManagement403, Manager at Econo Lodge Beach and Boardwalk, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

While your experience at our hotel seems to have been taken place a year ago, as stated in your review, I would still like to apologize for the experience. We do have a regular reputable (Western) commercial pest control company that maintains our rooms twice a month as routine preventive maintenance just as most commercial establishments do. If you can call our property and ask to speak the manager, we can look up your name and date of stay as well as contact our Pest Control company to make sure the proper measures were taken place. As to date, we have not had any other complaints for such occruances.

In the mean time, we do hope you would give us another try! We have brand new renovated and furnished rooms! Professional Photo's will be distributed to all travel websites shortly!

Thank you again for your comments as I make sure such occurrences may not happen.

Management
west deptford nj
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was in ac for the night to see a concert so I booked a room at the Econo Lodge for a night stay. The room was clean. it was equipped w/ a refrigerator and a microwave, and the bed was really comfortable. So it suited my purpose. I almost forget about the FREE continental breakfast in the morning was really good also. I would def book again for a quick 1 night stay. The negative is if u r a light sleeper it was def noisy outside and would prob keep u awake but hey its a city and yes the neighborhood is a lil " sketchy" as someone else described it but once again its a city so when venturing out of your room be aware of your surroundings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends