“over rated”

Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
new york
Reviewed December 28, 2005

what a disappointment.my husband and i went into the hotel with high hopes of a wonderful room.it seemed like it was going to be the best.we got our key and the biggest disappointment.the room sucked for the price.it was small and ugly.it wasn't very clean.the worst place we have ever stayed.i could of had a better room at the super 8!the worst view ever.the air conditioning vent wasn't my idea of beauty.never again.overrated!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2005
21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (11,278)

Pearland, Texas
Reviewed November 14, 2005

Two of my co-workers and I stayed at the Caesars Atlantic City in October 2005. First thought, lets stay at Caesars (based on the Caesars in Vegas we thought - Cool!! :-)) Once inside, it was very nice. When we arrived into the room, it was not WOW. One of my co-workers said, "Motel - No-tel." The rooms were a nice size, but the beds were leaning,
the beds were not comfortable and the view was of the wall of the next building. The bathroom was SMALL, but nice black tile floor and corian basen. I wouldn't have been so upset had we not paid 309.00 per night in October!!! The resturant was very nice..pricey, but nice. The food was very good and excellent service.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 3, 2005

When Caesars opened its Atlantic City casino in 1979, it took over the old Howard Johnson's Boardwalk Regency Motor Inn as its hotel , and bulit a new casino adjacent to the inn.

Unfortunately, that Howard Johnson portion of the hotel still exists, and over the years, other Caesars hotel towers have risen around it.

The reason for such a disparity of opinions on Casars is that your personal experience varies wildly depending on which hotel tower you are in.

The original Howard Johnson's motor inn isn't even visible from the street because the rest of the Caesars facility has grown around it.

Thus, you will read complaints of hotel rooms with no windows or natural light. It's a rather strange thing, for sure, but theold motor inn has been completely swallowed by the rest of Caesars, and yet they still rent out its rooms.

On the other hand, the newer "Centurion Tower" at Caesars is a modern 4-star hotel with fine rooms and amenities.

Harrah's recently purchased Caesars and is promising vast (and much-needed) upgrades. The old motel portion has been rumored to be slated for demolition.

In the meantime, it truly is a gamble as to what kind of room you will get. Rest assured, the bizarre former Howard Johnson's rooms are not shown on the website, but you could unwittingly end up in one.

Until upgrades are made, it might be a better bet to stay in a more modern facility.

Stayed: September 2005
35  Thank Ted_in_DC
Reviewed October 24, 2005

We paid $200 for a room at Caesars one Friday in June, our first visit to Atlantic City in 10 years, because we wanted to attend a concert held there. It was a GREAT experience! ** And thank you to the TripAdvisor reviewers who recommended we ask for the Centurion Tower -- lovely room & the view is spectacular from the 26th floor. **

Because I'm also a slots player (penny & nickel machines mostly -- certainly not a high roller), all summer we got enticements by mail to return . . . cheap meals, small amounts of "free" cash to gamble, free parking. But we live 2 hrs. from AC, and didn't want to deal with summer traffic & crowds. So I had just chalked it up as a wonderful one-time experience.

Comes the fall (as in autumn). Suddenly Caesars was offering us a free room! We went back in September -- free room, free parking, a meal discount. Had a WONderful time -- room on the 32nd floor.

Then October's "deals" arrived -- better meal deal, free room. We just got back from the October trip, and could NOT be more pleased. We always ask for Centurion Tower, they always accede, and we keep moving up. This time we were on the 34th floor. Gorgeous view. Very nice room with two double beds, small table & two chairs, nice armoire for TV, and plenty of floor space for luggage and just walking around. Very large luxurious bathroom (marble & granite) with separate adjoining toilet area. Although we were next to the elevator, I can assure you noise was NOT a problem.

As nice as the room is, the very best part of staying at Caesars is the genuine friendliness and warmth of the staff. Over and over, everybody we have come in contact with goes out of their way to be helpful.

If there's a downside, it's that the less-expensive restaurants are just OK. Breakfast & lunch buffet -- OK. Cafe Roma, the "coffee shop" type restaurant (though they serve liquor) -- depends on what you order. I had a GREAT Ruben sandwich last night, but have had mediocre entrees in past visits. And for some reason, everytime we've been there the Gladiator Grille, another option, has been closed.

The first time we went, we tried to make a reservation at Caesars' high-end restaurant but none were available. As a great alternative, try Dock's Oyster Bar restaurant, a cheap cab ride away. A blast from the past in terms of decor, but wow! great seafood and outstanding service.

Next morning, back at Caesars, rather than get the breakfast buffet, especially if you're not a big eater in the morning, go through the inside passage from Caesars to Wild Wild West's casino-level coffee and pastry/bagel cafe. Lots cheaper and really delicious. (And Caesars comp points work there, too!)

If you're about to go to Atlantic City for the first time, and Caesars is one of the hotels/casinos you're considering, we certainly recommend it! They treat you very well, and the facility overall is beautitifully designed and well-maintained. But service is THE distinguishing characteristic.

Stayed: October 2005
14  Thank wythany
Reviewed September 20, 2005

Stayed at Caesars Sept. 18-20. At check-in I asked for an ocean-view room in the Centurion tower and got it. Big room and bathroom, nice side view of ocean. Elevators are so fast! Located center of boardwalk. Beautiful hotel. Cons of this hotel: Not lively enough, pool is nothing special. I would stay at Tropicana next time. Live bands later at night, more restaurants, bars, clubs...entertainment.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
11  Thank redrhodes
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 14, 2005

This place is absolutely horrible. The rooms are old, the hallways smell and are dirty and the staff could not be any more rude or unhelpful. They are currently undergoing some sort of a construction, which starts around 6am, right outside your window! Avoid, avoid, avoid...

• Stayed: September 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 3, 2005

Well I have to say that I stay at Caesars in Atlantic City once a week on average. I have never had a bad experience, the rooms are spotless and clean all of them. The Centurion tower is so clean you can eat off the floor. The Ocean tower is elegant and spotless, the North and South tower are also very clean but it is the original hotel and I have to say that some of the rooms in the North tower smell like smoke when entering, but they also are spotless and very nice. The check in is always smooth whether I use the VIP or regular I never have problems and the girls at the desk are most helpful. One other thing which is most important the slots are great I have never won so much money in any casino as I do in Caesars if you work a slot chances are it will pay off. I have been there six weeks in a row and I have hit for over $20,000 on the 10x machines and the 12x machines quarter value. So I would highly recommend this place to anyone. I hope that harrahs taking over does not ruin it because if it aint broke then don't fix it. My accountant is gonna love me....

• Stayed: August 2005