“Pretty much a dump”

Caesars Atlantic City
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I would not likely stay here again as it is unlikely I will make come back to Atlantic City. Even if I do some back, I would not prefer to stay here. Not sure what tower we stayed in, however, hope it is was not the updated one. This place is outdated and smells. General overall feel was that it is a dirty place. We requested a king bed and upon check in were told they were sold out of King beds even though this is what we reserved months ago and it is their policy not to guarantee a bed type but if we would like we could pay 60 dollars extra for a King bed in a different location. No apology...they really didn't care. Atlantic City is a very sorry attempt at being "little Las Vegas" It falls very short. Vegas is a whole different playing field. I personally don't understand why people come here. I came for a concert only. Next time I want to see a concert, I will drive a little further somewhere else to catch the show. Atlantic City is a dump!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bluiz1997
There are newer reviews for Caesars Atlantic City

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I just returned from one night at Caesars Atlantic City, and overall, we had a nice stay. Caesars is generally a well-kept property with a good number of things to offer. It’s a good option in Atlantic City. However, I do think the hotel could benefit from a little more attention to detail to really live up to its 4-star status and compete better with the newest properties in town. It’s nice, but not as nice as it could be.

My girlfriend and I stayed for just one night on a Sunday at the beginning of March, since she had a comp for a free night valid at any of the Total Rewards properties in AC. We were both available and figured we might as well go for dinner, stay overnight, and enjoy a spa day the next day. We chose Caesars over the other properties, since Total Rewards seems to bill it as their best property in Atlantic City. They offered us one of the upgraded Premium Rooms in the Centurion Tower with the comp, so we were excited to go and see how it is.

We go to Atlantic City relatively frequently for things like dinners and shopping at the outlets, so we were familiar with Caesars ahead of time. We’ve walked through it and eaten at the Pier on multiple occasions. One thing that I do like about Caesars is how easy it is to get to. Nothing in Atlantic City is hard to find, but it’s nice that Caesars is basically right there, straight ahead when you come in off of the AC Expressway. There’s no driving through depressed areas of Atlantic City required.

We always use self-parking. Self-parking rates vary depending on which day of the week it is, but it is always $5 if you have a Total Rewards card. It’s definitely worth signing up for one in the casino if even just for the parking. You do have to pay for parking each time you exit the garage, even if you’re a hotel guest that wants to come in and out. Self-parking is also a bit of a hike to the rest of the property. There’s even an airport-style moving walkway in one section. However, it’s just a reality that all of the casino properties are large and spread out in some way. As they go, I actually don’t think Caesars is too bad in terms of being too confusing or unnecessarily sprawling.

The way the property is set up, the parking garages are set furthest from the beach. Going from the parking garage toward the beach, you next hit the lobby, which carries out the Roman theme with décor that looks like an Italian square at night, complete with the obligatory over-the-top statute of Caesar. If you keep walking from there toward the beach, you pass a couple of gift shops before hitting the casino. There are two levels to the casino. Depending on which level of the casino you’re on, you can either walk right out to the boardwalk and beach or connect to the Pier shopping mall, which is built over the beach with various levels of shops and restaurants.

We arrived at the hotel around 7:30 on a Sunday night to check-in, so it was pretty quiet, which I expected. There were only a couple other parties checking-in at the time. After reading other reviews, I was nervous that there could be issues at check-in, such as rude employees or not having our reservation fully honored. I definitely do agree that the front desk staff at Caesars was rude. The woman who checked us in was not welcoming or hospitable at all. Before even determining that we were there to check-in, her opening line was “I need a credit card and an ID”, and she really didn’t get any friendlier at any point. Don’t expect a gracious welcome when arriving at Caesars.

We were given a non-smoking king room in the Centurion Tower, just as we had requested. In terms of rooms here, there are three major types. The lowest level is the Deluxe Room. Deluxe Rooms are in the Temple Tower, which is accessed directly off of the lobby by the front desk. Although I can’t comment on these rooms otherwise, definitely be aware that many of them have windows that overlook the lobby, which is an interior view. It’s not an open atrium-style lobby with lots of light. Rather, it’s completely interior and pretty dark with a bluish light at all times. If you know this will bother you and you’ve booked a Deluxe Room, definitely request one with an exterior view. However, if you’re committed to the Roman theme and don’t need natural light, a lobby view would be fine.

The next room type up is the Luxury Room. These rooms are located in the Ocean Tower, which is accessed from elevators that are located between the lobby and the casino. From what I’ve been able to gather about these rooms, they seem to be decorated very similarly to Premium Rooms, but simply don’t offer ocean views.

The best room type is the Premium Room, and these are located in the Centurion Tower, which is where we were. As far as I can tell, Centurion Tower rooms have the nicest décor (which at least from the pictures online appears identical to Luxury Rooms), with the added bonus of good ocean views from many of the rooms. The Centurion Tower is the farthest from the lobby. Walking through the casino a bit and making a left leads to the Centurion Tower elevators. The elevators are located near some meeting rooms and the indoor walkway from Caesars to Bally’s next door.

Our room was on the 41st floor of the Centurion Tower. However, don’t be fooled by the room numbers. It’s not a 40+ story tower. After floors 1-4, I believe the numbering skips immediately to 25 or 30, rather than 5. I think we calculated that the 41st floor is actually 21 stories high or so. I was definitely impressed as soon as we got off of the elevator. The hallways looked very nice and upscale, so I was excited to see the rooms. The room itself was very nice. The décor is pretty neutral, in shades of cream, tan, and brown mostly, with darker wood and some marble. There is nice molding throughout, including on the ceiling. Everything seemed to be in relatively good shape, and the room was a good size. It wasn’t the largest hotel room I’ve ever had, but it wasn’t small. There are two chairs with a table in a tiled area by the window, and we had a great view. The room looked toward Bally’s next door, along with a nice view of the ocean and boardwalk.

The bathroom was also nice, with a large tile shower and the toilet in a separate room. I think the bathroom could have been a bit larger, but it was still quite nice and featured bath products from their Qua Spa. The bathrooms in the Centurion Tower feature a TV built into the vanity mirror, which was a fun touch. Be aware that the bathrooms in the Centurion Tower don’t have a typical door, but rather a sliding frosted glass door. It didn’t seem to me that this door would be a privacy issue, but if you want a true door that closes on the bathroom, the Centurion Tower may not be your best bet.

Another fun feature was the do-not-disturb sign, which was an electronic system with a button to press inside the room. This would turn on a do-not-disturb light outside the room. There was another button for housekeeping, as well as a doorbell.

Overall, I found the room itself to be very nicely decorated and mostly worthy of being in the 4-star category. It felt upscale, and for free, we were quite happy with what we saw upon entering. Over the course of our stay, though, we did notice some things with the room that were a little bit bothersome. For one, the walls were paper-thin. Our room had a connecting door to the room next door. The hallway doors were pretty substantial, and the connecting door was the same type of door, so I assumed we wouldn’t have any noise issues. However, we could hear our neighbors very clearly. We could hear full conversations between our neighbors without any difficulty, and it was clear that they weren’t shouting or being loud. It sounded like an older couple that was just simply sitting in the room talking. They seemed to go to bed pretty early, so there wasn’t really continued noise, but we heard them again very clearly in the morning. I’m sure it was the same on their side as well. The walls and ceilings also just generally seemed thin. I heard noise above us several times, as well as the sound of toilets being flushed in other rooms. None of this was a major issue or kept us awake, but it was annoying and made the room feel like less of a retreat than it should have been.

There were also a few other little things that should have been better about the room. We noticed a hole in one of the sheets. There were a couple hairs from someone other than us in the sink when we arrived. The hairdryer had basically no power and appeared to be 15-20 years old. The TV was just hard to work and more limited in its channel offerings than what I typically see in hotels today. When I got out of the shower, I also felt like I smelled faintly of chlorine, as if I had just gotten out of a pool. I’m not really sure what was going on with the water. These little things were not major and didn’t ruin our stay, but I would expect better from a hotel that claims to be four stars.

Other than the room, we enjoyed dinner at Continental in the Pier. The Pier is a nice place to walk around and eat. It is basically a 3-level mall attached to Caesars, built over the beach and ocean. It was meant to be an upscale shopping and dining destination, and the physical facility itself definitely reflects that. Retaining tenants has proven harder for the Pier, so there are definitely a good number of vacant stores. However, it’s fun to walk around and see the fountain show they have each hour or sit on the Adirondack chairs on the top level that actually sit in sand while facing the beach. We also really enjoy the dining on the top level. Continental is one of our favorites for a good meal, with fun cocktails and a menu full of tapas-style portions of crowd-pleasing things. It has a retro theme, complete with an ‘indoor’ section as well as an ‘outdoor’ patio and fire pit. Buddakan is also a great Asian option that we’ve tried in the past, and is right next to Continental. The food is good and the atmosphere is really fun, made to look like an outdoor Asian courtyard. Both of those are Stephen Starr restaurants that also have locations in Philadelphia. The Pier also offers Phillips Seafood and a sushi place as well.

Between the restaurants in the Pier and the restaurants within Caesars itself, there are plenty of dining options without ever leaving the hotel. I haven’t really tried many options within Caesars that weren’t in the Pier. The only place I’ve eaten previously within the hotel itself is the buffet, which we found to be pretty small and not very good as casino buffets go. I think the only thing lacking in terms of dining here may be some better moderately priced options.

When it came time for breakfast, we just wanted something small, like pastries, so I went down to Tazza, which is a bakery in the lobby that seems to be open 24 hours a day. I was shocked that it was $9 for just a chocolate croissant and a piece of pound cake. The food there is definitely overpriced, and it honestly wasn’t very good. I have had the gelato there as well, and I found that to be better, although similarly expensive.

Other than dining and the room, we didn’t really do much else at the hotel. We were in the casino only very briefly, since it’s simply not our thing. The casino environment often annoys me, but I don’t find the casino at Caesars to be too offensive. I like that most of it is on a lower level that is more separate from the rest of the hotel. We came for a spa day, and I was somewhat interested in trying the Qua Spa since we were already staying at Caesars. However, after reading some bad reviews, we ended up going to Revel for the spa there, since we had already tried it and knew that we loved it.

Overall, I’d say that we had a solidly good stay at Caesars. The room was nice, and I like that the property itself has things to offer if you’re not into gambling. The outlets are right outside the hotel, it’s beachfront for the summer, and you can enjoy the Pier’s shops and restaurants. We had a nice time, even though it was winter. Based on a past stay, I would say that the room we had in the Centurion Tower was very comparable to the Waterfront Tower rooms at Harrah’s. They’re both nice with upscale features, but could use a bit more attention to detail to really be great. My girlfriend has stayed at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas and felt that the Centurion Tower rooms here are about comparable to the standard rooms in Vegas.

I think Caesars needs to tighten things up if it wants to really be able to compete with the rooms at newer properties. Our stay was good, but I didn’t walk out with the feeling that I can’t wait to come back to the hotel over other properties. All in all, I would come back, but price would be a major determinant. I know not to expect perfection from hotels in Atlantic City, so going in with that mindset, you’ll likely have a very nice stay at Caesars overall.

Room Tip: Premium Rooms in the Centurion Tower are the best. Be aware that many Deluxe Rooms have interior vie...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mrg0137
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights recently and was pleasantly surprised. The hotel seemed relatively full during the week which was a surprise in itself. Been to AC a lot, maybe my third or fourth overnight stay.

I had an Ocean Tower suite that was clean, nicely furnished and had a killer view. The room was a smoking room, which doesn't bother me since I am a smoker. The bathroom was large and nicely appointed. The suite was 700-800 SF at a minimum, maybe 1000. Everything was in working order. Bed was comfortable. Water was hot. Temp control was easy. No mini bar which is kind of weird.

Check in was easy enough. Valet was easy. It's tough to get anyone on the phone to ask questions, but once you do, they are efficient and helpful.

The property has a lot if food choices and the obligatory buffet, which is pretty bad, but is what it is. Atlantic Grill was pretty stellar and the Pier Shops offer a few solid choices. Morton's is on property and seemed like it was doing a decent business. Place could use a nice diner type restaurant for sandwiches and eggs etc.

Spa was pretty cool. $50 to get in, but a relaxing break, I would do it again. Steam room, sauna, plunge pools. Ample exercise equipment. Big outdoor component that looks like it could be nice in nice weather.

The casino floor has a lounge that I didn't love, service was fine, just kind of a bad design and strange layout. There were never enough waitresses on the casino floor which is kind of annoying, one or two more would make a big difference. The dealers are nice and professional.

AC has seen better days as we all know, but this property is solid. Would definitely stay again and plan to.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank SecretCD
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here because we got a couple of comp nights because we gamble at Harrahs casino's. They gave us a nice room on the 38th floor of the Centurion Tower, it was overlooking the ocean, boardwalk and The Pier. The room was vey clean with exception of some stains on the toilet. The walls are very thin for a room that has surround sound in it. Overall the room was nice but the Caesars buffet could have been a lot better. The food at brunch was a little on the cold side and there was not a lot of variety.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Let me start by saying we've stayed at this property numerous times and have always been very pleased with our stays here. This time however we were somewhat disappointed. We were comped 3 nights so I hate to complain, but I think management is dropping the ball in several key areas. The first thing that happened when my wife and I checked in to our room in the Centurion Tower, there were 2 individual coffee packets 1 decaf and 1 regular. We had travelled 9 hours to get there and were a little tired and wanted a caffeine fix before we started donating to the slot machines so I called houskeeping to request another full strength packet. I was quickly told no that only 2 packs per room per stay. Really?? Next, there were dust bunnies on the ceiling and the furniture in the bathroom and living area were scarred pretty bad. This scarring could have been addressed easily with a stain pencil. This is Ceasars right? The drink service was also dissapointing in Ceasars, Wild West, and Ballys. There were several times we would be in an area for 30 - 45 minutes and no one showed up for drink orders. We go to Ceasar's properties several times every year to be pampered, but this time that was missing. I will comment the Bell service was as good as ever.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fredash1958
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Caesars was another fun Hotel. We had a nice room that overlooked the Casino 3 floors down. Didn't do too much gambling but overall the Hotel is a nice place to stay & a good site to see. If you're in the area, try staying for at least one night, i'm sure you'd enjoy as much as we did

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Frequent visitor but first time staying overnight at Caesars in AC I must admit it was a delightful experience. Check-in was a breeze however; I don’t know why they don’t have designated Platinum card holder line as they do in Vegas –no matter. I was assigned a Premium room in the Centurion Tower. The room was well appointed, very clean, with a marvelous view of the Atlantic Ocean. The casino as is the hotel itself is immaculate and every staff member I came across gave a nod and a smile.
As not with other AC casinos I’ve encountered the dealers here have personality and seem to enjoy their work. Dinner at Morton’s Steakhouse was a treat. I will definitely stay here again; as a matter of fact I already booked a room next month.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo