“Bally's is the place to stay and play on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York
“Bally's is the place to stay and play on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

After a dicey stay at Bally's last July, I decided to give the sprawling complex another try.
I'm glad I did.
Bally's has three hotels, the Dennis "Tower", The Claridge, and its signature, 37 story tall, Park Place Tower.
In July, I was very disappointed to be given a room in the Dennis, not because of the hotel or the rooms themselves which are newly renovated and quite nice, but because my particular room had translucent film on the windows, admitting daylight but no view whatsoever.
This time around Bally's saw fit to give me a room on the top floor of the big tower, facing the ocean and Boardwalk.
What a room and what an incredible view!
The room is true luxury, with a real marble bathroom and quality wallpaper and wood decor.
The widows are designed with a ledge that is the perfect height to rest your feet on while you sit and sip a drink and survey your domain like you own the place.
Ok, I'm being a just a little dramatic. As great as the room was, it smelled a bit of cigarette smoke despite being clearly labeled as a non-smoking room. The bedding was showing its age a bit it in terms of wear, but everything was clean, neat and in working order. Still, all things considered, I really enjoyed staying in a room like this.
Kudos to Bally's.

As always, the casino was great. Friendly dealers, eager to help slot attendents, and an overall sense of newness, without the minor signs of wear and tear often seen in lesser casinos.

I am not a big fan of Buffets, but I decided to try Bally's Virginia City Buffet, mainly because most of the the other casual eateries were closed. I was pleasantly surprised.
The Buffet was laid out in an unusual way, with a number of distinct stations offering specific food types, instead of the standard long table with a mirror at the end. The food was surprisingly good and fresh, although a little bland for my tastes. You won't find a better value anywhere on the Boardwalk though. Show a Harrah's card and you pay about $21 dollars but get a $10 gaming voucher, meaning all you can eat for eleven bucks, soft drinks included.

In conclusion, enjoy what Bally's has to offer; just make sure you get a room with a view if that's important to you.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,441)
  • Korean first
NJ
Reviewed October 19, 2010

This place has the worst security and the most elemnets in the city hanging around waiting to rip you off. Twice were we almost robbed our tickets from the machine, when you can find secirity its so blaise that you feel like you are the criminal for being such a fool mto play and stay here. Never again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Hatboro, PA
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I stayed at Balley's this past week for a two day conference. I read the hotel guide that they give you in the room and specifically looked into the use of the gym facility. It clearly stated that if you were a hotel guess, the use to the gym weightroom was no charge. However when I got to the gym they charged me $20 to use the facility. Make up your mind Balley's, is there no charge or not. I have stayed at many hotels through the country and this is the first one , who charges for use of the gym. Pathetic
Last their hotel key cards suck. They demagnitize at the drop of a hat and it takes forever to stand back in line and get your card reactivated.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Bloomfield, NJ
Reviewed October 18, 2010

I just returned from a few days in AC. Stayed in Claridge tower which was very smelled like stale cigarettes and only one room was cleaned. The distance we had to walk was too far for the senior citizens I was with. Wish we had a choice or been told which tower we would be in before given the keys. I've stayed in Bally's in Las Vegas and it was beautiful and clean, I was extremely disappointed in AC's version. With all the nicer hotels on the boardwalk, will not be returning to Bally's,.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 16, 2010

I stayed in the Dennis Tower which appeared to be recently remodeled. The room was large with a king-size bed, table and chair and large flat-screen tv. Since it was a comped room, I didn't have a view but that was ok. I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Tokyo
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I have stayed in AC only once before, but I knew what to expect. Low quality of service, old and dingy rooms, buffets everywhere and cigarette smoke filling the air. My initial impressions of Bally's where better than expected, but upon entering our room, I was let down. Actually, I could smell the cigarette smoke before I even walked in. It was a powerful wave. I don't smoke, and ordered a non-smoking room. I called the front desk, and spoke to two different people, both suggesting they send Housekeeping to "spray" the room with a neutralizer. I asked both times to be switched and was then given a room on a lower floor. Keep in mind, walking back and forth to the front desk from Claridge tower takes a good bit of time.

When we checked into our second room, we couldn't believe the different. Fully updated room on the 7th floor far outdid that of the old, dingy space on floor 18. It was much nicer than I had expected for AC, so I was pleased in the end, even though this is nearly one hour after dropped the car off with the valet.

The bathrooms are quiet small, especially compared to the size of the room, lending hints to the fact that the building is old. Claridge Tower was actually built in 1930, so don't be confused by the newer Bally's tower, just on the boardwalk. Claridge sits about 1/2 block back from the boardwalk, but is connected via casino floors and lobbies.

Roomservice trays had been left in the hallway for periods longer than 12hrs, and I believe the housekeeping staff must wear earphones, because I can't believe anyone would make so much unnecessary noise they could hear themselves. Clanging of glasses and bottles being thrown away reminded me of college, freshman year. I could hear talking from the room across the hallway at various points as well.

Overall, the stay turned out pleasant, just be sure to ask for a renovated room (I believe the renovations are going floor-by-floor, up from the bottom. I would only recommend this hotel because of the extremely low rate and the fact that they do have renovated rooms. But don't expect any added value by staying here. The staff can be rather short with customers, and leave much to be desired if you need any advice. Keep in mind, you are staying in AC...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
BallysAC, Public Relations Manager at Bally's Atlantic City, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Thank you for choosing Bally’s Atlantic City for your recent stay! Please know that we truly read all comments that our guests leave regarding our hotel. Harrah's Entertainment strives to provide a high level of quality services and products for all of our guests and we apologize that we fell short and your experience did not meet your expectations.

We're so pleased to hear that the situation was turned around and that you've enjoyed your time with us overall. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bally’s in the near future! Thank you for being our guest!

Courtney
Customer Relations Coordinator
Atlantic City Operations
Jersey
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Great room for a weekend. View of the ocean and the bay. Room was clean. Bathroom was big. Usually stay in the Trop but this was just as good. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Bally’s Atlantic City for your recent stay! We're so pleased to hear that you've enjoyed your accommodations with us! We look forward to welcoming you back to Bally’s in the near future! Thank you for being our guest!

Courtney