“It's time to find a new hotel to stay at in AC...avoid the spa and don't count on eating here”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We lost power in Cape May last weekend, so we went to Ballys (where we have stayed before) - got a great rate since we had comps. The room was nice although in need of a good dusting. The hallway had dirty dishes outside several rooms, and they sat there for two days. Even though the hotel was fairly busy, the restaurants and bars were mostly closed. We had to eat at 6ix's which was edible, but certainly not great food. Forget trying to find a place to have a drink and watch SUPERBOWL. Unbelievable - as crowded as it was - no bars open and hardly anything available to eat.

Although the room was ok for the price we had at least seven people in the room next to us - kids yelling, slamming doors, etc. I called the Front Desk and they said they would send Security over right away. Four hours later, no one had come over yet, so my husband had to go talk to the guests. Apparently, the parents were at the casino, and left a bunch of kids under 10 in the room by themselves. Not Ballys fault, but they could have sent someone over to check the room after I called.

Since we were here for a few days, I decided to treat myself to a day at the spa. They had a decent deal - three treatments plus lunch and use of the facilities for under $200. Being a female, it was the first time I had a male for a massage, which was no big deal to me, although my back is still hurting three days later - he was a bit rough. My third treatment was a body scrub and was supposed to be with a woman. Much to my surprise, the guy that did my massage (Joe) came into the room.. Joe told me that Ben (the spa manager?) said that he spoke to me and that I ok'd having a male. I should have told Joe I was uncomfortable and come back the next day for my third treatment, but he was a nice guy, and I just went with it. He said he didn't often do the scrubs, and I believed it - he was so rough my skin felt like he was scraping me with Brillo. I spoke to Ben about the mixup and told him he DID NOT speak to me. He denied saying anything to Joe about speaking to me and had a smirk on his face and really did not care at all. He could have at least offered me another service. Last thing about the spa - the "wrap" is not a wrap like I've had at other spas. Just a few warm towels thrown on me.

We decided we're going to try the Tropicana or The Trump next time. At least we won't go hungry. It was way too cold out to go looking for a place outside the hotel for dinner and we were too tired to walk too far.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bally's Atlantic City

Reviewed February 3, 2010

The toilet, coffee maker and tv were broken, and the pillow shed all over me - gross. They apparently had no other rooms available. I read the (bad) reviews before I stayed (had a free room), but I wanted to check it out for myself. Stay away. The security guards were always in a good mood regardless of the time of day, and that was the only positive thing about the place. I never leave reviews, but I was completely disgusted by this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank FLGIRL017
Reviewed February 2, 2010

I found some free time to take a last minute trip down to AC. I checked my available comps on line. I have stayed in deluxe rooms before (the Claridge) and have been less than thrilled. But I found I could get a comped premium room at Bally's. There was about a 15 minute wait on line. I listened as others were checked in and directed to find their room in the Claridge. It happened to me before that although booking a room in the Bally's Tower I have ended up in the Claridge. I anticipated it would happen again. To my surprise the agent said, "oh no, you are in the tower." If this is a "premium" room Bally's is much lower on the ladder than I ever knew. The room was not terrible; it was clean and the bed was comfortable. I remember staying there in the 80's. Aside from new carpeting, I don't think they have changed the room at all in 25 years. Considering it's dated design and aged furnishings it was in remarkable condition. Some of the wall paper was sagging off the wall and the sink in the bathroom had been shattered in several pieces and was glued back together. The granite counter top was pitted and scratched from decades of use. The wooden vanity that I remember as being so classy in the 80's was stained and faded. I was there for one night at it was comped, so it was no big deal. But if you are looking for any level of luxury cross Bally's off the list. I normally get a basic room at Showboat, that is far superior than this outdated remnent of AC's first boom of almost 30 years ago. This room is a poor commentary on the property if it is worthy of the title "premium."

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank MichaelonLI
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We went to Atlantic City and stayed at the Claridge for our one year wedding anniversary and we were totally mortified! The rooms in the Claridge tower are disgusting! They are worse than the cheapest motel room you can imagine! The radiator was making A LOT of noise all night and it was leaking water which actually got on my laptop! The drapes and bedding are old, stained, and disgusting. The bathroom, well, lets just say you might need a tetanus shot after you step out from it. Basically, I will never go back, and i would never recommend it to anyone, not even an enemy!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kourny
BallysAC, Customer Relations at Bally's Atlantic City, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent trip to Bally’s Atlantic City. Your comments are very important in helping us to ensure that the services and products we provide to our guests are constantly improving to meet and exceed your expectations.

Please know that we read every comment and listen to what our customers are saying. We value all feedback provided as a means of monitoring and enhancing the service we offer here at Bally’s Atlantic City. Our goal is to provide a warm and hassle-free experience for all guests, so it is always disappointing when we hear otherwise.

We would like to address your specific concerns and ensure we make the appropriate changes that will not only meet but exceed your expectations. Please feel free to email us at harrahstripadvisor@harrahs.com. We do look forward to hearing from you about your stay.

Reviewed January 18, 2010

Booked for a Deluxe Room on Orbitz for $273.00 mind you this is a Sunday.Got to the front desk checked in went up to room and found it is not the marble floor tiles or 32 inch flat screen and ocean view,this was one of the cheaper rooms. call front diesk and they were quite nasty. spoke with a manager who challenged us that we did not pay for deluxe room. we took our paperwork from orbitz and they finally gave us what we paid for; however room had NO view at all and overall shabby. very unhappy with management and service.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank keshNewYork

Reviewed January 13, 2010

We had a good time at Bally's. I'm assuming we were lucky and got an upgrade as we were put in the Dennis Tower. Not bad for $39 a night actually darn fair and the room was very clean and nice. The people serving us were always nice and helpful. Restaurants were very affordable. The convenience in the fact it is basically 3 casinos connected to each other was nice because we didn't have to go outside to have some choices. Bally's was the only one of the three which had a smoking section too which was nice. As for some cons, snacks and conveniences in the stores and vending machines were overly expensive. I got a cold immediately the first night and I can't blame that on the casino but I refused to pay $12 for $6 cough medicine. Also we did not have a fun time gambling as the slots, video poker and blackjack were extremely tight and we are too casual to try the tables out. Well next time that will change because it was a waste with no significant wins in hours of playing. Pool/Spa was being renovated..oh well. $12.99 for internet was also a joke - Best Western offers it for free, you're a Casino trying to get people to gamble..not buying the internet for $13. Overall though we had a good time and we look forward to going back. I know the reviews here are very mixed and my story might have been different if we were put in the Claridge tower, but as for my own personal experience, it was completely satisfactory on the hotel side of things.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for choosing Bally's Atlantic City for your recent stay! We're so pleased to hear that you've enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Bally's Atlantic City in the near future! Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed January 12, 2010

I was alittle leary of staying at this hotel after all the reviews. I was not disapointed with this hotel. I got a great rate of $55.00. We got to AC at 10:00am after a 3 hour drive. We were able to check in immediately. We had a room in the Bally's Hotel. The room was very nice and spacious. The bathroom was spacious, clean the shower was great. It had a huge shower head with great pressure. I was very happy about this considering I had heard alot of negativity about the Claridge. The casino at Bally's was great. Won $1,000 on a penny machine. The only thing I didn't like about the casino was a room that had high limit slots in. I was not allowed to go into this room because I wasn't a diamond member. That kind of got me alittle out of sorts. What makes a diamond member's money ANY better than my money. If I have it to spend (which I did) I should be able to go in there. It is a sort of discrimination in my opinion. Didn't complain though, I would like to get my comped rooms.

The hotel is internally connected to The Wild West casino and to Caesar's. That is very nice considering how cold it was there this past weekend. We walked up to trump and signed up for the players card and got a $25.00 free play for the slots. The slots are tighter than a bad face lift.

I was very leary about going to Atlantic City. It will be a great alternative to vegas when we get the urge. I will be staying at Bally's again. Make sure that you sign up for the players card. It won't take you long to accrue the points. You can use the points for a $5.00 voucher so you can get free parking. It is an all inside walk from the garage to the hotel, maybe 5 minutes at the most.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends