“Claridge is okay by me”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed September 6, 2005

My husband and I just returned from staying overnight for the second time this year at the Claridge. Both times, the rooms were clean, decent size, and comfortable (in fact, the woman who checked us in said that the Claridge rooms were most recently renovated, as compared to Bally's). This time we were actually in a larger than average oceanfront room. And both times these rooms were comps!

I've never noticed any funny smells in the lobby or technicians serving drinks, as other reviews said. It's just a clean room to sleep in and a casino with low minimums to play in. We also made it to the pool this time, and although it's not huge, it was clean there too and great for a swim.

The Claridge is also aligned with Bally's, Wild Wild West casino, and Caesars, and they are all attached (also the Hilton, but that's down the boardwalk). We typically go from place to place and get our exercise in as well.

We're not big gamblers (if we spend more than $100, it's a splurge), yet we use our Connection Cards every time we play slots and roulette. (You can sign up for these cards for free and they take them at all affiliated casinos.) We've ended up with two comped rooms, a free show, free bingo, a free dinner, a free breakfast, and both times we've gone home with some winnings as well. Not bad for two low-rollers!

The Claridge isn't the newest or most posh place to stay, but the rooms are decent, the casino offers low minimums, the boardwalk is right outside, and you can go from place to place without having to go out. Sounds like a deal to me.

• Stayed: September 2005
15  Thank PDESK
Write a ReviewReviews (9,680)

A TripAdvisor Member
VIRGINIA BEACH, VA
Reviewed September 4, 2005

Horrible Service, Where do I begin?

1. There is no protection of your personal credentials. I was there from September 2-5. When I reviewed the bill for my hotel stay, there were erroneous charges. I called down to the front desk to discuss this matter with the manager FRAN, who was initially very rude. I was charged a Cigar Kiosk fee of $9.90, and someone ran a bar tab up over $100.00 dollars in the LOBBY LOUNGE. As always, you're always considered suspect. I wanted them to review the cameras for these instances to prove them wrong, and as you guessed the Manager attempted to blow me off. She then told me that it would take many hours to investigate this matter. As a Government employee, I was not going to walk out with resolution. She tried to convince me to leave the charges on it until they investigated it. I demanded to speak with the manager Mark. She told me that it was 5:35 in the morning and what did I expect her to do. That peeved me off! She indicated it was too early to reach him. The so called beverage manager could not assist me with the bogus Cigar Kiosk fee because he was not on the property. We're talking a 24 hr/7 day a week multi-million dollar industry, and this counldn't be resolved? Be aware, if you're concerned with the protection of your identity, they aren't. Without checking identification, anyone can sign and charge anything that they desire to your room.

2. Poor condition of rooms! Fri-199, Sat 219, Sun 199. A waste. Dusty and Musty. Holiday-Inn Express and Hampton Inn much more desirable than this place. Be aware, you may think that you're staying at Bally's hotel, you may end up at the Claridge as another couple we met did.

3. Poor attitudes of Managers and Desk clerks. They definitely need a lot of training with protocol and professionalism. In particular Desiree, nasty attitude.

4. I did appreciate Mr. Mark Lue who is investigating this matter. He was the only that seemed to be concerned about the privacy act and the protection of guests credentials. Unfotunately his night manager and day manager isn't the least concerned. I will allow him to investigate this to it's fullest.

5. Huge language barriers.

I will however not recommend this hotel to anyone. I travel pretty extensively, and this is the first time I have been victimized. I came to the Casino to get a break from the events of Hurricane Katrina that has affected my entire family. Staying here was an extension of my already horrible week. I will not book reservations here again.

• Stayed: September 2005
28  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Mohnton, PA
Reviewed August 27, 2005

Extremely Disappointed with Bally's! For all but $800 for 2 nights we had the smallest bathroom I have ever experienced; unclean and very old. Shower drain was clogged had to shower in 2 inches of water. How pathetic! Tape on the window, blue tape none the less. Our room was in the Claridge Tower we had to walk very far to our room. And to the other amenities as well. Light did not work upon arrival. Sheets if that is what you call them did not stay on the bed. Had to pay to self park after paying $800 for 2 nights. Will never return and I do not recommended this facility to anyone. I am sick about the money we wasted.

19  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Location is great, right in the middle of the boardwalk and convenient to the beach. Booked through the internet with the "Weekend Extravaganza Package." For the amount you pay, the room was nothing but average at best. The package did include 1 night's dinner at the Gold Rush Grille (only includes a salad, entree and non-alcoholic beverages...appetizers, dessert and alcoholic beverages are extra) which was very good. Second night there had dinner at Arturo's. The restaurant was expensive as all hotel restaurants are in the area but the food was excellent and was worth the additional money.

Personnel although nice, were uninformed. Had to ask 4 people before I found someone who knew where pool was located. Was looking for a local, reasonably priced restaurant and a florist (was there for our anniversary) and could not find anyone there who could give me an answer.

Based on the high price they charge and the average accomodations don't hink I would go back there.

Stayed: August 2005
14  Thank rdjrcd
Reviewed August 14, 2005

We left Canada Sunday morning 6:30 am, our plan was to stay the night in Scranton PA and than head out to Ac the next morning since we didn't want to drive all day. We arrived in Scranton much earlier than had planned, so we decided to head straight to AC. On the way tyhere i called Ballys and told them that we would be coming down todat rather than tomorrow and than i was informed that they had not one room available. The hostess gave me a cantral AC hotel Number to call and i tried that , there was 1 room available which was at the borgata for $300.00, needless to say i didn't take that so i waited a while and called backed Bally's just in case something became available, no such luck all sold out.

The hostess at bally's did give me a hotel to call which was in Absecon NJ a 5 minute drive to the marina casinos and a 5 to 10 minute drive max to the boardwalk casinos. We arrived there and took a look at the room before we booked it. The hotel is only about 3 weeks opened and the room was excellent. It was spacious, spotless and plenty of towels. The front desk clerk was very nice and they had a free coffee, muffins and donuts in the morning and the price of the room for the sunday night was 82.00 with tax.

We decided to shower than head over to check out Bally's and the boardwalk. Wow driving down White Horse Pike towards the marina we could see the Borgata and Harahs all lit up in neon , pretty awesome, than as we headed down pacific avenue we started to drive by the Taj Mahal all lit up ( really cool ) than we came to Ballys. We parked in the self parking which is free with a players card , than went inside, What a beautiful hotel / casino , the place was packed with people going here , going there . We looked around a bit than headed outside to the boardwalk, opened the doors and BANG there i was finally on the boardwalk in front of ballys , bright lights shining over everything , The old and young alike all seeming to be enjoying themselves, rolling carts pushing people up and down the boardwalk , the smell and breeze of the ocean , it was great. we than decided to head back to the Knights Inn and head back to Ballys early morning.

Arrived at ballys and went to check in , we got there about noon and the room wasn't ready so we checked our luggage to the bell captain at the end of the check in desk and headed out for a few hours. Came back 2 hours later and the room was ready , we went up to the tower room and i walked in and immediately felt dissapointed , the room they gave us was a corner room which was small and a crummy view of the parking garage. It would have been ok if it was a comped room but since i had to pay for our 4 night stay i wanted an ocean view. I headed back to check in and explained to them the situation and they gave us anotherr room , room 3029 , we went up to our room and i walked in. Well that was more like it, what an awesome view of the boardwalk from left to right and of the ocean and ball'ys bikini beach bar.

On further inspection of the room i found few things that had to be changed such as the shower curtain and one of the bed spreads because of some pretty gross stains and some hair in the bath tub. I called the front desk and they sent up one of the supervisors for housekeeping, she agreed with me that it had to be changed and she apologized and she prded up 2 brand new comforters in a bag and a new shower curtain, the maid who came up with her stayed 2 hours changing all the beds and cleaned and scrubbed every inch of the bathroom , the supervisior stayed for about 40 minutes talking with us cause she had friends from Canada. We kept trying to tell the girl cleaning that everytrhing was ok and it was clean but she just kept cleaning , i think my dad was trying to fix her up with me cause she was there with him for at least 2 hours while he talked to ear off and me and mom were long gone. I even called up to the room from an in house phone and he said she was still there cleaning and that was at the 2 hour mark.

While the housekeeping supervisor was up there she even called the front desk manager and when she got off the phone to our surprise they comped us the first night free ( Great Start ). The rooms have comfortable double beds , a safe, a big tv , hair dryer lots of towels & bars of soap & bottles of shampoos, conditioners & bath gel. NOTE : the cleaning cart is usually in the hallway early morning if you need anything lol !!!!!!!!!!

The Spa at Ballys was great !!! awesome pool and whirpools and a really huge outdoor sundeck overlooking the beach and boardwalk as well as a bar on the sundeck ( frozen drinks $6.00 and well worth it & you can charge it to your room as well as at bally's bikini beach bar )
Bally's hotel & casino was super clean and so much security all over the place day and night , if your staying in the tower there is security right there to check your guest card before you get to the elevators. There is also free cofee every morning until 11 am on the 6 th floor in front of animations cafe.

We took the Cape May / Lewis ferry over to the shopping outlets in rehoboth Delaware which was a nice ferry ride over the Delaware river and a day of tax free shopping. The AC Walk is really nice also for outlet shopping as well as the Hamilton mall in Mays landing.

There is a large variety of all types of slot machines and i won some lost some , typically went up and down , There however was a guy and his wife there playing slots and he hit around $79,000 playing right next to my mother. The drink service is really good at Bally's casino , The Wild Wild West and Pennyville in the claridge, The double pina coladas were flowing like water lol . One night i asked the front desk if people get assigned a slot host and her reply was usually only the high rollers or very frequent players get a slot host because normally everyone that signs up for a connection card uses that for their comps and cash back , that seemed logical but she said i can get you someone to take you to the slot host office if i wanted , i said sure why not it can't hurt lol besides who knows what goodies one can receive just by merely asking.

I was taken to an office and i introduced myself to the lady and proceeded to tell her where i'm from and that it was our first time here , she asked to see our connection cards and than she punched up all of our cards, she than said oh yes not a problem Kevin heres $60.00 in food vouchers and 3 free tickets to the legends in concert show , WOW what a bonus , she than gave me her card and told us that if we wanted to come back to give her a call and she would give us 3 nights free stay during the week anytime. She was very nice and pleasant to sit and talk with.

The Virgina buffet was really good , we ate there for lunch and dinner. Bally's Bikini Beach Bar is great with music & a very clean beach front. Caesars, and trump plaza also have a nice beach bar area.
We also got to eat at the white House Subs which was excellent ( i got the white house special ) No joking one sub could feed 2 to 3 adults .
We ate at the irish pub which is really cheap and excellent food, the service was friendly and the atmosphere is great and the patio is really nice also. We ate wings at planet hollywood which was a cool place, look for a $10.00 off coupon when you spend $20.00 , two orders of wings , a basket of veggies & a coke came to $9.00 with the coupon. The Rainforest Cafe is really cool also.

I played slots at the Hilton , Tropicana , Trump Plaza , Caesars , Ballys , Sands , Claridge , Taj Mahal , Show Boat , Harrahs & Borgata. All of the casinos were very nice each with it's own style and atmosphere. It really boils down to which casino and hotel you are the most comfortable with and which atmosphere you like to gamble in. I personally liked to play at Ballys , Tropicana , Showboat & Taj Mahal & Harrahs. The drink service was good at caesars and also the Tropicanna & Showboat ( didn't order at the taj )
The Elvis Story at Harrahs was abolutely amazing wether your a huge fan of Elvis or just enjoy his music this show will blow you away. Jamie Aaron Kelley who plays elvis is unbelieveable , his looks but especially his voice and moves and little quirks , you would think that elvis is there on stage. The amazing set and costume changes portrays elvis's career from the 50' to his death in the 70's. A definate must for anyone wishing to see a professionaly done show while in AC.

I walked the boardwalk all hours of the night , 1 am, 4 am, 5 am, and it is very safe. We also walked in front of the casinos from the Hilton to Ballys in the day time and it it fine, just not much to see but alot of gold for sale type places and the fronts of the casinos. The jitneys are 1.50 and will take you to any casino including the marina district.The Borgata and Harrahs in the marina District are also very nice . The quarter at the Tropicanna is a beautiful area. You could spend hours just walking around there. I also played poker in the new caesars poker room which is really nice and the drink service is great there as well as those comfy poker chairs, You really have to be careful though cause there are alot of the local younger players that team play at the tables i noticed .

Overall Ballys was a great place to stay and i will definately be back , hopefully in October LOL !!!!!!! Now that i have seen and done everything i wanted to, next time i can just relax and stay in one area LOL , I walked the boardwalk from the Hilton to the Showboat many times and back & it was a good walk, but most enjoyable to see everything , I never drank so many double pina colodas , caesars & white russians in my life LOL Oh ya and i never seen so many psychics in one place LOL . Overall with winning some and losing some i lost about $900.00 over 5 days which is awesome considering how much i played and all the casino's that i played in plus i played poker at caesars for 9 hours straight one night . Can't wait to go back I already miss the Action , Bright Lights and Sounds of ATLANTIC CITY !!!!!!!!

28  Thank terminator1
Reviewed August 12, 2005

I booked a package with Bally’s that included VIP check in and a guaranteed ocean view room in the Tower ($199/night), among other things. Check in itself was very fast, and the staff was courteous. The room (2830) had lovely ocean views from the bedroom and bathroom. It was a corner room, so it was a bit oddly shaped, but we thought that it actually made the room seem larger. We found the room clean, with no noticeable smoke odor, even though it was a smoking room. The mini fridge was a nice touch.

As it is the height of the summer season in AC, Bally’s was just packed. There were long lines at every eating establishment. We decided to go back to the room to order room service. Good choice – food arrived promptly, the portions were more than generous, and the food itself was prepared well. Used the high speed internet service in the room ($12) and it worked, but it was definitely not as fast as the high speed access I’ve used in other hotels. Check out the next day was fast, parking was free.

Not that it’s a big deal, but room service carts littered our hallway in the late afternoon/early evening and were still not removed when we returned to the room before bed. I think the hotel staff might have been a bit overwhelmed by the large crowds. Also, the other sections of the hotel did not seem as well kept as the Tower, so this review wouldn’t have any bearing on them.

17  Thank JanThirteen
Reviewed August 8, 2005

Bally's is centrally located on the boardwalk which is good for their business because lots of people gamble there, the majority of whom are not staying at the hotel. This makes for a terrible experience for patrons of the hotel; the lines are long at all the restaurants; the parking garage is packed; the casino has lots of foot traffic and it does not feel safe there. Even the classiest casino doesn't necessarily attract the classiest crowd, but the Bally's scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

The room itself was shabby--sheets, carpet, wallpaper looked very old. It was clean enough, but the style was very old, very heavy, and did not convey luxury at all. For $300, the hotel should convey some sense of that.

I have no comment on the staff because I only dealt with the check-in clerk, who was rather neutral on friendliness. Bally's gives you no sense that they are trying to accomodate you or make your stay pleasant.

The line at the buffet was so long that we chose not to eat there. Instead, we picked Johnny Rockets on the hotel grounds. The food was completely tasteless. The hamburger tasted as if they took the ground meat out of the package and steamed it. The onion rings were drenched in oil. Meanwhile, the wait staff of the restaurant do a 5 minute dance routine to entertain patrons. Maybe they should spend that time teaching the kitchen staff how to use spices.

If this hotel were $100/night you may feel like it was an okay value. At $300, it is a complete ripoff. If you want a pleasant time, it is better to spend the extra $150 at the Borgata. Simply put: DO NOT STAY HERE.

18  Thank songfire