“Mid -Week Getaway”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed one night during the week in Bally's Dennis Tower. The room was small but no complaints overall with the room. Part of the casino is under repair. Only drawback with the casino is with the beverage policy. They require a Diamond Card for a bottle of beer at the tables but mixed drinks or a small glass of draft beer are free. Being a bottle beer drinker, I don't get it. You can play blackjack at a $10 minimum table for 2 hours but cannot get a bottle of beer.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (9,507)

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed at Bally's Atlantic City for 2 nights in July 2013. Needless to say, the hotel was over priced for such old accommodations. The room had a very dark decor and not enough lighting. The bed was uncomfortable to sleep on. They have an early check in fee which I have never seen before. In Vegas, if the room is available, you can check in with no extra fee. The shock for us was at the check out and seeing a room assessment fee of $5.00 per day on the bill. Considering that our garbage was not emptied one day, how can any hotel charge a room assessment fee? To us this was ridiculous. We will not plan to go back there again. Several years before, we stayed at the Taj Mahal and the accommodations were much better than Bally's.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I went to Atlantic City for a work conference and was quite excited to arrive. Once I got to Bally's... that excitement went straight out the dirty window. Checking in was a nightmare, I had to stand in a 40 minute line up after travelling for almost 12 hours to get there. Once I got to the front, I was advised there was only "smoking" rooms left. Telling the hotel agent that I couldn't be in a smoking room, she sighed and then went into a back room leaving me to stand at the counter for 20 more minutes (while people all around me seemed to have found non-smoking rooms). Once she finally came back, I was given a room with a murphy bed (one that comes from the wall), the door to the room would hardly open... I had to push with my whole body to get it to swing, the bathtub was crumbling in on itself, the comforter on the bed had stains, where the bed connects to the wall there was a lot of cement and wires hanging out. The room was hands-down the worst room I had ever stayed in. Had I been footing the bill, I would have went elsewhere for sure. Overall, my experience at Ballys was poor. You couldn't pay me to go back.

Room Tip: I'd be surprised if there was a good room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank jennywaz
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Bally's used to be a high class hotel. Top notch. We waited 1 hr 43 minutes to check in (almost as much it took to fly there). My 87 yr old mother had no place to sit (not a single chair in the lobby.

So many things not up to par...low energy casino, no guide books in the room (you only get a 3 inch booklet and it you need readers, forget it), they used to have a wonderful spa lunch but no more. To use the pool you pay $5 but get a bottle of water and a towel. For 3 days straight they had no water. When I asked for an extra towel instead of water I got attitude (she said she was "only a lifeguard). No buffet, nor in caesar's. There was garbage in the elevator for hours before it got ckeaned up.The top lock on our door was broken....much more. I ask you to consider a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Marg S
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went with another couple for a mid week short vacation and we had a good time, everything was fine, but the rooms do need some tender loving care. The people were very friendly, service was great, no complaints whatsoever, it's just that the rooms are looking very worn and tired out. The carpet in our room was really ruined in front of the coffee maker. The beds were very comfortable and clean, as was the washroom. They are updating the casino floor, doing some major renovations, so maybe the rooms will be next. It was quite quiet when we got there Wednesday, but picked up to a full house by Friday night. It was really good to see the people lined up to check in Friday night and the casino floor hopping!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights for a conference. I'm not a casino person. Check in on Sunday was a mess, with a huge line. As my husband and toddler came with me to stay for the first night, decided to grab dinner before checking in. We found out the hard way it is impossible to get around with a child. They are not allowed to walk through many areas that lead to the boardwalk, or eat in any restaurant close to the casino rooms. Big pain. We were finally directed to a little mall area extending out over the beach where we finally found a restaurant for dinner. Headed back to check in at about 9, and although the line was about half, it still took an hour to get our room. The room itself was pretty nice though a little dated, with a north facing view from the Bally's tower. As other reviewers note, it could have been cleaner. Found a big wad of tin foil under the bedside table, which looked like food remains. I never touched it, and neither did the cleaning staff. I was happy that my non smoking room did not smell of old smoke, and happy the family left the next day.
This visit did not convince me to return for any reason other than work.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Husband and I stay at Bally's 1-2 times per month. We used to go more frequently---but the place is clearly going downhill.

Husband had $20 stolen out of his locker at their spa. A shady looking man was lurking around--clearly not in spa attire. The $20 is not an issue--husband should not have left it in his locker. The fact that random characters can enter the spa and look for trouble is an issue.

Spa used to offer juice, and newspapers for reading--those have been cut out. Locker room attendant said they were cost cutting measures.

Free slot play never works properly--this trip we had to call attendant over---took her 15 minutes to figure it out--although she was very nice.

Room was ok--having a Diamond card keeps us out of the really bad rooms---but most all the rooms are dated. Elevators in Bally's tower didn't work correctly---were always backed up.

Line at check in is sick--again--Diamond card helps---but it is insane that paying customers are made to wait 30+ minutes to check in on a regular basis.

Despite being a Bally's supporter---I have began cutting back my patronage and will continue to do so until management begins addressing the issues.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple