“The WORST hotel I have ever stayed at.....”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York City, New York
“The WORST hotel I have ever stayed at.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I and another couple stayed at Bally's last weekend for our 14yr wedding anniv. I wanted to stay at the Sheraton but we were advised to stay by the Boardwalk. Most of us had never been to Atlantic City, we usually go to Mohegan Sun, but we wanted to something different. We have been to Vegas, NYC, Boston, Key West, etc.. We are not snotty or pretentious people, totally normal people who like to have fun, not rich, not poor - normal people. I was SHOCKED at how dated, dirty, smelly, and run down this hotel was.

We paid $590 for two nights for one room each - we ordered two ruby rooms, non smoking. Our room smelled so badly of smoke and chemicals that were probably used to cover the smoke. When I went to the front desk to ask to switch rooms because I had a headache from mine, the toothless man who works in some capacity told me there were no managers available. He gave me a ripped piece of paper to write my phone number down and someone would call me. This was at 10pm. I went to bed and woke up the next morning and I had a message from a manager, Melissa, from 3AM advising me to call if I needed anything......

The pool was hot, dirty, and unappealing. We went outside and lay on the lounge chairs by the outside bar. You need to stay one one side of this area because there is an air conditioner vent which is on the other side and is so loud you can't hear yourself think. The bar has rusted bar chairs around it and limited liquor/beer. There was garbage all over the area. There were a few really drunk older people dirty dancing on their lounge chairs and at the wall....I kid you not. Pure comedy.

The casino smelled so much of cigarettes that it gave me a headache and made me want to run outside for fresh air.

I could say SO much but I will finish with the next few final memories...

We were there 2 nights. On the second night we went to Borgata (was booked so we couldn't go there). We had dinner at Borgata at the Homestead and gambled. We went back to our hotel (Ballys) to have a drink at their bar. The bar was filled with teenagers, there was broken glass all over the center of the floor (I kid you not), and a homeless guy who got out of his wheelchair to dance and fell on the dance floor. His female friend tried unsuccessfully to get him up, all the while people were dancing around him. No security, bartenders ignored.....really? Pure comedy to come home and tell these stories, but we paid $590 for this experience.

I have so much more to tell but don't want to give this place anymore of my time.

I have used Tripadvisor for years......I have NEVER actually reviewed any hotel, restaurant, etc. We usually stay at Sheraton, Westin (starwood hotels) with 100percent satisfaction. This was the WORST experience ever. I was SO disappointed and disgusted by the hotel and its servce.

Unless you like filth, bad smells, awful service, drunk trashy people, etc....DONT STAY HERE. Same goes for Atlantic City, unless you go to the Borgata, Sheraton, or a reputable place, don't bother.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you like cheap dirty motels
Green Features: They are not environmentally friendly, garbage everywhere, smoke in non-smoking areas.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TaraBridie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,107)
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I asked a question of how to book online and mentioned how I'm getting a blank page. The response was that my browser incompatible. I've tried using it on Google Chrome and Internet Explorer 10, but it still doesn't work. I called the number provided to book an additional room for July 26th, but I am unable to without paying double the price I paid before. And on top of that, I am unable to use my Total Rewards promo codes ACM8CT56G30 or ACM8CT56G40 for the reservation, but there are no restrictions. The person on the phone is telling me that I am getting a friends and family rate of about $350 a night for the Ruby room at Bally's, and then I check online later to see that it's the same price as anywhere else. It's not a friends and family rate at all! Can't I just get an additional room for my total rewards promo rate? I didn't even use those promo codes to book the initial room!Horrible experience and will advise to book elsewhere going forward if nothing changes FOR SURE.

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at Bally's for a convention and the spouse wanted to do some shopping. Rooms are average, had a high floor and ocean view. They finally upgraded the television to flat screen!!! Little interaction with the staff. If you just need a average room close to the shopping then Bally's or Caesar's hotel is for you. Gambling floor was quiet even for a weekend. Did not have to pay for room, except for the state tax and Bally's own fee total of $13.00. Did not have to pay for parking (Diamond member) which is usually $5.00 or in some cases higher if there is a event or long weekends. Did not use the restaurants. Went to the Diamond Club for free food. Requested for a 1:00PM checkout which was not a problem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Worst hotel on boardwalk; customer service is non-existent. it is a shame with rebuilding from Sandy Bally's front desk staff is not helpful. Arrived 11am knowing we could not get into a room until 3/4pm. That's fine except 5 trips to front desk between 4pm and 8 pm, different story every time we did not get our room until 8pm. Was told "higher rollers" get room cleaned first. $700 for an adjoinging room in Claridge Tower was disgusting; even though it was non-smoking room prior guest had smoked. We told front desk so we were not ultimately charged on our check out and front desk was rude. Made no apologies or even attempt to accommodate us indicating they were 98% full. Avoid Claridge Tower rooms! Room service food sitting out in hallway when we arrived to our room and still there when we left the next day. Someone got sick in the hallway was there when we checked out (12+ hr later). Light fixtures were smashed all along the carpet from a drunken guest in the middle of the night. The only thing that maintenance did was sweep it to the side of the hallway. Bathrooms gross. Customer Service was truly lacking. I've stayed at this hotel before but you can bet that I will never stay there again. I'm going to Resorts next time to spend my money. The hotel needs to be re-built from the ground up. Clean the rooms and then spend some cash on customer service training.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

It is a shame with rebuilding after superstorm Sandy that Bally's front desk staff is not helpful. Arrived 11am knowing we most likely could not get into a room until 3/4pm. That's fine except 5 trips to front desk, different story every time we did not get our room until 8pm. Was told "higher rollers" getting checked in earlier AND that checkin can be from 4p - 8p. $350 room in Claridge Tower was disgusting; even though it was non-smoking room prior guest had smoked. We advised the front desk so we were not ultimately charged on our check out and front desk was rude. Made no apologies or even attempt to accommodate us indicating they were 98% full. Room service food sitting out in hallway all night; someone got sick in the hallway was there when we checked out (12+ hr later). Bathrooms gross, shower curtain mildew and bed lumpy.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Claridge Tower; that section needs a major overhaul.
Green Features: None. I think their vision of environmental friendly is not having light bulbs in all lamps so in room lighting was poor. Windows are sealed shut but again, very old.
1 Thank DChella
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stood at Ballys in June. We checked in early at 12:30. Ballys charges a $5.00 fee to check-in early during the week(more on the weekend). The woman who checked us in was very nice and waived the fee because I have a Platinum Card. We were given a room in the Ballys Tower with a fantastic view of the beach and the ocean.. The room was noticeably smaller than the premium rooms at other casinos, but was still very nice. Our room had a king bed, a mini-ref, and a safe. The bathroom was a nice surprise. There was a stand-up shower and a bathtub. There was also a picture window in the bathroom. Every time I went in the bathroom, I could see the beach and the ocean! There was also a separate area with just the toilet. I only have a couple of complaints about the room. 1. The room layout is strange. The bathroom is about a foot from the bed; when I was sitting on the bed, I could literally stretch my arm and touch the bathroom door. 2. The rooms in Ballys Tower are supposed to be luxury rooms. It would have been nice, if the room had a couch and a couple of armchairs in it; there was enough of room for them.
Ballys has a very nice pool area on the 8th floor. There is a huge pool, but it is only 5 feet deep. There is also a steam room, a sauna, and a separate area with 5 small hot tubs. Very nice. When we were there, only 3 of the hot tubs were working. Unfortunately Ballys charges you to use the pool. The current pool rates are $5 per person during the week and $10 per person on the weekend for Gold Members; the pool is free for Platinum and Diamond Members. Included in this price is a bottle of water; however, when we went, we were only offered a bottle of water on one day. There were people at the pool, but it wasn't very crowded. We did hear several people complaining at the desk about the pool fee.
We enjoyed our stay at Ballys, but the hotel has gotten greedy and charges too many fees.
Here is a list of fees that Ballys now charges: 1. There is a fee to park your car. This varies and shoots up on the weekend and holidays. 2. There is a $5 fee to check-in early during the week and a $15 fee to check-in early on the weekend. 3. There is a $2.00 fee for each bag you check-in at the bellhop. 4. There is a $25 fee to change rooms, if there is something wrong with the first room they give you. 5. There is a $60.00 fee if you want a room upgrade. 6. There is a $13.00 fee per day to use the internet. 7. There is a $5.00 fee per person to use the pool during the week, and a $10.00 fee per person on the weekend. 8. There is a $20.00 fee per person to use the fitness center during the week, and a $25.00 fee per person on the weekend.
9. Every time you order room service, there is a $4.00 service charge per person during the week and a $5.00 service charge per person on the weekend. These are only the fees I know about- there may be more. It is true that Ballys does waive some of these fees for Platinum and Diamond Members- but even so, they are really pushing it. When I go to a hotel, I like to know the total price upfront. I don't like it when the hotel gets greedy and starts padding the bill with un-necesary fees especially when they aren't upfront about it. In the future, I would have to think twice about staying and gambling at Ballys. I wouldn't stay at Ballys if they started charging me all of these fees. I would just stay at another casino that doesn't charge these ridiculous fees(which is any casino but the CZRS properties).

Green Features: Not changing the sheets in between guests is disgusting! When I go to a hotel, I want to sleep in a clean bed. I don't want to sleep in a bed with dirty sheets from the last guest. I don't know if the last guest was dirty or sick, and I don't want to catch his germs.
4 Thank Diane-Massacusetts