“A mixed bag”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We have a 9 year old and were originally reserved at Harrahs but learned the childrens pool was being renovated so we switched to Ballys because they have a family pool. Pool was nice but chlorine smell is over powering.

Pros:

Video poker machines were looser than I expected! The drink service worked ok. You need to order drinks when you are not quite half done with your current one.

Great view and location.

Staff overall was very friendly.

Cons:
Sunday afternoon check in line took 45 minutes. Ridiculous $5 early check in fee. They tried to stick us in the Claridge (as expected). I fought for the Bally Tower and got it.

Maids did not clean very thoroughly.

A lot of seedy people throughout casino and lobby area.

We did go to Harrahs to look at it and it was much nicer than Ballys. Overall I would rate our Ballys visit a good experience

Room Tip: The new Ballys tower is the newest building but they have old style TVs. It is also closest to the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (9,511)

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Where to start....Let's just say when you decide to close the curtain to go to bed and discover semen stains at the base, you know it's time spread the word this hotel is the worst.

After a full complaint to the front desk, they "took off" the "Service Charge" fees from my bill. Really, that is all I get after subjecting my kids to a semen stained curtain hotel room??? Thanks Mr Manager.

How about the $5 check in fee for checking in the room before 3pm? What is that?? If the room is ready and I am there, why am I paying $5?

Is this what hotels have come to? Beyond comprehension. Never, never never will I go there again. And if you have reservations here, my advice is to run, run far far away from this dump.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CCC c
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The room was not very clean and had sheets with holes in them. The bathroom had mold in the shower. The place needs to be updated. At one time it was the best place to stay but continues to go down hill. Check in is so slow, it took close to an hour. A visitor should be spending money at the hotel not waiting in line. The staff is friendly and helpful!

1  Thank mariemousse
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Well I don't usually stay at Bally's but I was given a nice comp room so I took it. What can I say? It is an older hotel and it does not have the luxurious feel of the newer hotels. The slots were limited and the room was small. It was not dirty, but not exceptional in any way. The best thing about my stay was Harry's Oyster Bar and the fact that the hotel is right on the boardwalk. It was a nice Sunday and most of the boardwalk was open fo business so a lot of people strolling around.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Short version: Just don't do it. If we didn't get a free room, I would still be standing there asking for our money back.

Longer version. The check-in line was incredibly slow. On a Wednesday afternoon, we waited for about an hour. One person at the reception seemed to know what she was doing, the others were slow and frequently disappearing behind the back wall.
Tip 1: Make sure you're not thirsty or hungry when you check in. The line moves more slowly than in any other hotel we've ever been to. There weren't that many people in front of us.

We got a room at the Bally's Tower. The room and bathroom were decent size, and they were reasonably clean. The view of the ocean was gorgeous. One problem was finding flyers for local pizza places under our door. This was also the only casino ever where people hustled me to buy cigarettes from them. Not a casino employee as you sometimes see in Vegas, but a random person walking around with a bag of cigarette packs asking you to buy them. The idea that people can try to sell you things in the casino, and walk around the hotel as they please to leave flyers in your room, really didn't make me feel particularly safe.
Tip 2: Get a room at Bally's Tower, it seems to be the newest and cleanest. Or better yet, go to a hotel where somebody cares.

The casino staff is hands down the worst. On 5 different occasions, we tried getting a drink, by ordering it on the machine or calling the server. We succeeded exactly once. The other 4 times either nobody showed up, or one incredibly rude waitress gave us a lecture on how to order a drink on the machine. After she reached over my shoulder without a word to cancel the drink on the machine. I almost smacked her. When I started telling her that clearly the system doesn't work because we didn't get our drinks twice, she turned her back and walked away. No apology, or asking if we would like to order something.
Tip 3: If you like having a drink in the casino, go somewhere else. Otherwise good luck. I have never seen staff as rude and inefficient as here.

Final random tip: Make sure you're moving very quickly in and out of the elevators. The doors close very fast. Every day we saw people getting hit by the elevator doors, particularly if they couldn't move quickly.

At some point, I decided to try to talk to someone in the hotel about some of the issues, primarily security and waitstaff in the casino. It's just that I couldn't find anyone to talk to. If you just want a place to sleep, and be at a good location in the middle of the Boardwalk, it's OK for a night or two. But if any other service is important to you, go somewhere else. As soon as you walk into the casino, you will see that sadly, nobody takes any pride in keeping this place up.

Room Tip: Bally's Tower rooms are relatively spacious and reasonably clean.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

About 1 1/2 weeks ago we went to Atlantic City for a few days. We took my husbands parents down to get them out of the house for a while. When we got there we checked in and got two rooms a floor apart in the Clairage tower. They did not have handicapped rooms, so we went to the first on which was at the far end of the hall. It was a medium sized room with two double beds. As we walked down the hall we noticed two room service cart in the hall with garbage and dirty dishes on them. My father in law is 93 and doesn't walk well. So we went to the second room. It was a floor up but was across the hall from the elevator. That room was a nice size with a kingsized bed in it and a great view of the ocean and Park Place. We let the elders have that room and took the other one. Over the next two day, the amount of dishes and garbage continued to pile up on the carts. I finally called a couple hours before we left, but they were still there when we left the hotel. The one bed in our room had a piece that stuck out from below the mattress that had a sharp corner on it. I hit it with my ankle and cut myself. I reported that too, but don't know it that was fixed.

I must say that the front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were well cleaned. But the double beds had kingsize sheets on them so that they were dragging on the floor. The food court in the hotel was fair and over priced. The corner cafe was not good. They served dried out microwaved waffles that were awful. The little snack bar next to it was better. We used the pool, which was an additional $5 per person. We did get a good deal on the room, so I didn't mind the extra charge.

I don't often go to Atlantic City, but I was disappointed in the run down appearance of the hotel. The casino was nice and the Johnny Rockets had decent food for the price. But it is apparent that Atlantic City is past it's more recent resurgence.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks Park Place
1  Thank morningskywoman
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel before and was never disappointed until now!
The hotel's best feature is it's location, right at the center of the Boardwalk.
The staff and maids are very courteous and friendly and overall Bally's is not a bad place.
The problem is that I upgraded my usual hotel tower location to the Dennis Tower. I paid extra to be in the Dennis Tower, I paid extra again to upgrade my room to a Luxury, Deluxe room and on top of that, they charged me extra because we were there earlier than the 4 o'clock check-in time.
I guess I expected more for what I was charged.
Dennis tower is obviously the oldest and has not been updated as the other towers have been. I wish I new that before I booked there. The hallways were worn and dark with marks all over the walls. The carpeting and furniture were old and worn. The dresser had holes in the top where something was mounted once, but at least the room was clean. Forget about having any kind of view.
If I ever stay there again, I will stick to the Claridge or Bally's tower.

Room Tip: stay away from Dennis Tower.
2  Thank 100west