“Not impressed”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
“Not impressed”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

First things first, I'm glad I had a comped room through total rewards. My wife and I had a room in the claridge tower. The guy who checked us in promoted this room like it was the Ritz Carlton because it was "newly renovated" had a tv, mini fridge and in room safe? What room doesn't offer this? The smell through the entire hotel and in our room was terrible. This building is so old and needs to be torn down. When we arrived, two rooms down from us had a tray of food sitting on the floor outside their door. When we checked out, it was still sitting there? Restaurant selection wasnt overly exciting, empty drink cups and beer bottles laying at almost every slot machine. And finally the payouts were terrible. I know this is a budget casino/hotel, but I'm not one to complain and even I felt the need to write a review. Good luck...

1 Thank toothlesscarrot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,351)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to do a spontaneous trip to Atlantic City. As we have never been to AC, we thought that the place to be was the Boardwalk, but we were wrong. We are in our late 20's and the boardwalk area, including the casinos & bars, were very old fashioned (both style & crowd). We found a decent priced room for two nights (Friday & Saturday) at Bally's which is centrally located on the boardwalk. We paid for a king size bed, non-smoking room. I called in advance to let them know that we would be doing a late check-in and they said no problem. We get there at 10:15 pm & the line was at least 100 people deep. After waiting 2 HOURS, I finally went up & told them that this was unacceptable! The workers were very disgruntled & acted like it was a burden to even help me. While we finally get our room keys, the lady informs us that it would be a smoking room! I argued with her that that was not what I reserved & she told me that I was lucky to get a King bed ... It is only a preference & it does not mean I will get it. I was floored with her response. We got stuck in Claridge tower which is older & finally got to our room by 12:20 am!

The room of course smelled awful, but the room was so utterly disgusting. Everything was grimy ... The shower curtain had blood on it & the shower looked like we needed to wear flip flops while showering. The TV had a line down the middle of the screen where it was cracked ... We complained and they said there was nothing they could do about it. The service was just horrendous. We again kept feeling that we were a burden to them.

The casino is old & again grimy. I felt surrounded by old local gambling junkies than tourists on a trip. The next day we walked the boardwalk and it was a major let down. I guess we just imagined it to be completely different than what it actually is. Everything is old, cheap & crying for an upgrade. I also would not suggest the boardwalk at night ... I would say that I didn't feel the safest at night.

On Saturday night, my boyfriend planned dinner at Vick & Anthony's at the Golden Nugget as well as a show there. Now the Golden Nugget is the place to be!!! The marina area where the Borgata, Golden Nugget & harrah's are located is where I would suggest one stays. The casino & bar area felt so much like Las Vegas to me ... Upscale, swanky & just a much better atmosphere. It was a quick 5 minute cab ride from Ballys so I would suggest you stay in the Marina & cab it to the boardwalk & outlet for the day, but the nightlife is the best at Golden Nugget & Borgata.

AGAIN DON'T EVER STAY AT BALLY'S!!!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't get a room here ... Don't waste your time!!! There are so many other options in AC!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Karrie B

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

E Bridgewater, Ma.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed at Bally's in the Claridge section. The room was nice and we had a great view on the 18th floor. We did not use the pool as there is now a $5 fee for guests to use it. The check-in line on a Sunday was long but moved. The self check-in machines are gone. We ate twice at the "Sack of Subs" which was awesome. The chicken Caesar salad was big enough to share and very fresh and tasty. The steak sub was made as we liked it and excellent. I was surprised to see so may kids coming and going in the Claridge elevator lobby for off season. And it wasn't a school vacation week! No visible signs of the hurricane. It is right in the middle of the boardwalk with everything all around it.

Room Tip: Ask for a water-view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Terrible stay, will not be back. The rooms were disgusting. The only decent part was the 6th floor restaurants. Do not stay at this hotel for these outrageous prices, it is worth the extra $ to stay at borgata!

1 Thank Slh18
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Bally's last year and I swore that we would NEVER go back. Our room was dark, dank and straight from the 70s...maybe even the 60s!!!! A few weeks ago we had an event to attend in AC. We were going to stay with friends nearby but decided literally the night before that we would stay in AC. Long story short, much to my dismay, my husband booked a room at Bally's. This time we were assigned a room in the Claridge Tower....much much better then our last room! We had a corner ocean view room on the top floor. The room was bright, CLEAN and nicely decorated (albeit, circa 1996). There was a bizzare old wet bar in the corner with the faucet removed...not sure what that was all about but we had no intention of hanging in room so nbd! At any rate, our total time spent in room was probably only about 7 hrs...stayed out late then had to get home to kiddos. It was perfectly fine to "crash" for the night. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the bathroom clean with plenty of hot water for a quick shower in the am!

Room Tip: Definitely Claridge Tower!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rnfirefly
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed at the Dennis tower at Bally's for two nights to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. The restaurant Arturo's was great and the overall entertainment was good. The first thing we saw was a huge stain on the carpet in our room (Strike one). The first night we couldn't really sleep because the bed was itchy (strike two). The second and last night we slept like a baby because we had the housekeepers change the sheets. The morning before our departure I attempted to order room service for some breakfast... the lady who answered (I believe her name was Shirley) was extremely rude and sarcastic (strike three!!) I will not be returning to this hotel!

1 Thank cavenoceanbabe
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2013

After all the negative reviews we were worried about staying here especially since we normally stay at the Trop, but our fears were unfounded. We had a great weekend and were pleasantly surprised by our room in the Dennis tower. Atlantic City was hopping last weekend and most of the casino hotels were sold out. The hotels in AC are *very* expensive for what you get on the weekends - far more than Vegas which is a big minus for AC. We arrived almost at midnight Friday night and check in still took around half an hour - since they were booked solid it looks like the agents were scrambling to place people had weekend reservations. We got a room on the 40th floor of the Dennis tower and were very pleased with the room and the view. The room was clean, the bed was comfy and we didn't care that the tv was a tube type and not a newer flat screen.

AC seems to be upping their food offerings We ate twice at the Sixt coffee shop and for the price the food was outstanding and reasonably priced The casino was full and hopping - even at 5 in the morning, we had a blast and were able to play for long stretches of time without it seriously hurting our pocketbook - a big plus for this trip.

The town itself seems to be improving since we first started coming here 8 years ago. For the first time, the streets around the outlet mall were busy with tourists - a far cry from the scary slum that was in that area a few short years ago. From what we briefly saw on our way out of town - AC seems to be sprucing up the area tourists frequent - where as before anything off the boardwalk was a no go area. We even walked back from Trump on the boardwalk at 5am and it didn't feel as scary as it did a few years back.

All in all we had a great weekend. We love the energy of AC - which is something you don't get in the one horse casinos in PA or CT. The fact that you can drink, gamble and hop among a dozen or so casinos until the wee hours of the morning is what sells us on a weekend in AC. We're definitely going back in a month. As for Bally's, the room we got was far better we expected so we would definitely consider it again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple