“Run Away from Bally's AC”

Bally's Atlantic City
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Run Away from Bally's AC”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This place is horrible! We arrived on 12/23/12 as I booked a ruby room which is in the claridege tower for our Christmas getaway. What a big mistake this was. We were given non-smoking room 934 and as soon as I stepped on that elevator I knew this would not be good. The halls are dark and dank with a musty smell. I opened the door to 934 and the first thing I noticed was a faint odor of cigarette smoke. The room was like being in a smoking port-a-potty!! I immediately went back down to the hotel check-in desk and politely explained the condition of the room and was "upgraded" (her words) to the tower room 2238. By the way total check in time was 4 hours - UGH. I opened the door and was pleasantly surprised. I walked in the bathroom - which by the way looks absolutely beautiful but on further inspection noticed the shower stall had a thick coat of shower scum and the shower head was filled with what looked like mold and some kind of black gunk - YUCK. I would never ever ever return to this dump!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. I've never had a problem at the Hilton.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SoRoyal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,365)
  • Korean first
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is less family friendly as the W in Times Square. Too trendy, at least in the Claridge Tower. Plus, it's almost all casino. One casino is all black walls and the other is in the dead center of the lobby. If you have any choice, chose the Trump, or even Harrah's over this.

The best way to describe the rooms in the once nice Claridge, filthy. They were dusty and dirty and the sheets had stains. The room was the worst part pf the hotel.

As far as service goes, there is hardly any service. The staff is rude and, I don't know but I am guessing, unionized. The only service is opening your car door when you leave.

My reccomendation is to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Not the Claridge
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Matthew B

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The only thing I can complain about was the check-in line. Check in was at 4pm...I arrived at 4:30 and it took an hour. Seemed like the check-in are was understaffed all weekend long! The room I stayed at was at the garden tower on the 16th floor. The carpet walking to my room was stained and old and I was starting to have doubts, however, once I got to the room, it was obvious it was renovated over the lat few years. Very nice bathroom are and tv in the mirror. Bed was soft, but had no issues sleeping on it. Nice size room.

I really liked how easy it was to walk to the parking lot,Ceasars and the pier shops without going outside at all. The shops in the lobby were nice and the staff from the housekeepers to the bathroom attendants were su

Room Tip: Garden Tower was private. You had to place your card in before elevator can move.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Reserved with Bally's, so I thought we'd be staying AT Bally's. Our room was in the "Claridge tower". The room, bathroom and beds were smaller than expected. Also the room wall are paper thin. Traveling during the Christmas season we expected to see lots of children; but I didn't want to share a room with them. Our "next door neighbors" had a couple of kids with them and blasted (or at least it seemed like the TV was uncommonly loud) Disney musicals until 1am. When I called the front desk to get another room I was told to call back tomorrow. When I went to the front desk the next morning after what I thought was the worst attempt at a good night sleep EVER; I was told that the family checked out so there would be no reason to change rooms. Of course our new neighbors were a group of ladies celebrating something. So of course no sleep because of the party next door.

Besides the accommodations, we did try to use the amenities which were all located in the Bally's building so we had do some creative elevator changes and some additional walking to get to the pool. Thank goodness we brought money because we had to pay to use the pool, even though we were staying there.

I hadn't been to Atlantic City in years opting to travel to warmer climates during the winter so I was in prepared for all the "extra" charges for hotel amenities. If I was a gold or diamond rewards member then I am sure things would have been better, but I'll never find out.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LadyHeineken
Boston
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was my first time at Bally’s Atlantic City, and it will surely be my last. I have one word for the room we were given, GROSS. We were given a room in the Claridge tower, which is a hike from the main lobby area to the battered elevators which take you up to the rooms. The shabby condition of the elevators and the disgustingly stained hallway carpet should have been a clue as to what we would find when we entered our room. I can honestly say that nothing in our room was clean. The room carpet was filthy and had remnants of trash, crumbs, open safety pins and hair ALL over the place (see photo). Did I mention hair? Yes, there was hair everywhere in this room, long hair, curly hair, short hair, hair in the bathroom sink, hair on the vanity, hair in the tub, hair on the toilet, hair on the bathroom floor, clumps of hair on the carpet. I've never seen anything like it. I don’t think the room had been vacuumed or dusted in a very, very long time. I could write my name with my finger in the layer of dust on the bedside lamp. The closet’s mirror doors had fingerprints and smudges all over it. The carpet in the closet had about a 1/2 inch of dust throughout. There were very noticeable thick cobwebs all over the top of the windows; I find it hard to believe that housekeeping didn't notice this. Ever hear of a feather duster or vacuum, Bally’s?

The beds: There were numerous cigarette burn holes in both coverlet blankets on the beds, as well as a very big burn hole on one of the comforters under the top sheet. These should have been thrown out but apparently Bally’s thinks it’s OK to continue to use these and that their patrons will be pleased with a plethora of stains and burn holes. The beds have fabric covered box springs and one of them was so torn and stained that it warranted a photo. How does inferior, worn, torn, stained and burned bedding go unnoticed by housekeeping? The furniture was battered and worn and dusty, and the beds were small and beyond uncomfortable.

The bathroom was tiny with peeling wallpaper and dirty wall tiles in the shower. The floor was utterly gross and looked like it hadn’t been washed in months, there wasn’t one clean spot on this floor. There were also pieces of what appeared to be either cereal or cat food on the floor of the bathroom. The floor is light in color, so the filth, hair and food on the floor was immediately noticeable upon opening the half sized door. The bathroom light switch was so dirty and grimy that I can’t even describe it so see for yourself in the photos attached to this review. The air vent in the bathroom was covered in filth and dust, so much so that it really makes you wonder what you’re breathing in when in this room. The shower curtain smelled funky and had so many brown stains on it, I wondered when and if it was ever washed. The stiff plastic curtain behind it was equally gross. I’ve been in public restrooms that were cleaner than this bathroom.

The AC/heating unit above the window was peeling in several places and vents also covered in dust. What I don’t understand is how Bally’s could let things get this bad. It is quite obvious that housekeeping just goes into rooms to change sheets, replenish tissue and cups and does nothing more. This was not a cheap room at $250/night, and even if it were, it would still be unacceptable. I’ve stayed at Hampton Inn’s and Holiday Inn Express hotels and found them to be far superior to Bally’s in every way, at half the price. I think management needs to seriously consider checking up on their housekeeping staff because they are obviously not doing their job, but given the fact that the room was so filthy, it’s obvious that they just don’t care about quality or cleanliness. I have never been so grossed out in a hotel before, I wanted to leave minutes after entering the room. Sleeping in the car in 30 degree weather would have been better than staying in this room. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, ever.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Stella9
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Two day trip to celebrate my buddy's birthday. I was upgraded to a luxury room in the Bally's Tower. Room had great room and was recently renovated. Room was spacious and modern. I like staying near Bally's as it is a central location to other attractions (shopping, etc.) and casinos.

Room Tip: Bally's Tower rooms were most recently renovated.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jonnycol
Reviewed December 29, 2012

After reading a ton of horrible reviews on here I was extremely skeptical about staying at Ballys. The only reason I did stay at Ballys was becaus it was cheap and close to revel with surrounding casinos being sold out.
When I got to the hotel the front desk was extremely pleasant and assured me that my room would be fine and not as horrible as read on trip advisor. When I got up to my room I did a full inspection. The room wasn't bad, slightly dated but AC has been around for a long time. The only reason i gave 4s in certain categories was because I did find a bunch of hair on the mattress and the sink in the bathroom was dripping wAter constantly. other that that I enjoyed staying at Ballys and would stay there again!!!

• Stayed December 2012