“Loved the hotel, away from all the noise but close enough to walk”

Courtyard Atlantic City
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Family travelling with 3 kids. Lovely new hotel, one block from the beach. Large rooms, plenty of space, mini fridge, coffee maker, large bathroom, comfy beds and pillows. The only thing missing is a pool, but hot tub and gym are really nice. Staff friendly and helpfull, valet parking in and out as you please for 12 $ a day. We really felt our car was in good hands. Losts of restaurants close by. We travel to Atlantic City every summer and this Marriott was by far our best room so far.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Courtyard Atlantic City

Reviewed August 7, 2008

I went to the Courtyard Friday, Aug 1st for one night with my fiance. Chose it because 229 was a great rate for AC on a Friday night and I'd rather stay at a non-smoking hotel than a smoky casino.

The valet was quick and almost overbearing but nice and not too expensive ($12). The check in was a bit slow but the people were nice. Its a new place so I'm assuming they need to get some kinks out.

Room was really nice. I've stayed in a lot of great hotels and this room was top notch. All the amenities you would need. Nice bathroom. There is a decent size gym (for a hotel) with a hot tub. Halls smelled fresh and clean. Lobby is nice. Bed super comfy. It all felt totally new. Much fresher than the Sheridan or Trump Marina where I've stayed before.

The area is not the best though. Its a little desolate at night. We're in our 30's with no kids so we hopped on the jitney and went down the street to the Knife and Fork, where we had a fantastic dinner (go there if you want great food without the cheeseyness AC can bring). Then we walked back on the boardwalk and to the hotel. The walk from the Boardwalk felt a bit quiet but there were some people around. The strange part was that we walked to the outlets Saturday afternoon and between the hotel and the outlets there were a lot of people looking very strung out and we even passed a two men doing a pretty obvious drug deal. This was not in front of the Marriott but not far. I'm from NYC so this stuff doesn't really phase me but I"m sure it would bother some people.

This wouldn't stop me from going to the Courtyard or recommending it but maybe take a cab to get around from there.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Wife and I did an overnite junkit with Saturday nite stay here in mid-June. Property was newly open and still feeling its way through a ying-yang identity crisis. On one hand, the hotel's room rate was astonishingly low, especially for a summer weekend nite, suggesting best of the bargain basics and budget conscious are the marketing drivers. On the other hand, the lobby and bar area are very upscale and scream the resort theme, perhaps teasing younger clentele who want proximity to Showboat, Taj, and Borgata at hundreds less. Nonetheless, with the spartan amenities on-site and the so-so location of the property-- this is not the best boardwalk area or beach zone in town-- we found ourselves concluding this was just an average stay, but still a good value.
That ying-yang theme continued throughout: marble tile lobby and reception, but lackluster hallways and cheap doors, where you can hear folks at all hours....rooms are good size, but have zero decorative accoutrements.....bedding is upgraded and super comfortable, but furnishings and fixtures were below average and looked like they'd never last the looming waves of future guests.....adequate and clean bath room with good water pressure (a personal peeve), but low quality towels. Even the clientele exuded the extremes-- from the couplers like ourselves, to married with children, as well as lots of the rougher tatts and piecing crowd all confluencing trying to get their fix on the hotel beat. Ying-yang....ying-yang....ying-yang....
And yes, it's probably best to use a car to get about from here, at least until the new Revel Mega Casino Resort opens and brings back some momentum to this side of town. The AC Bar & Grille is a great, long-time spot right across the street, however, if you do want to grab a drink and meal safely....otherwise, we spent most of our time at Borgata and on the boards near Caesars anyway.
We didn't eat at the hotel breakfast although charging for that separately was suprising, especially for a Courtyard.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2008

My husband and I are elite Marriott rewards members. We ALWAYS try to stay with them if one is available because we find their chain reasonably priced and reliable. We elected to stay at this new hotel for our one year wedding anniversary for a single evening. We will not be returning, which is a shame because the hotel had potential.

POSITIVES: The valet was fantastic. Very courteous, helped with luggage. We never waited more than two minutes for them to retrieve our car. Outstanding service.

The hotel is new, and thus very nice. The common areas are well decorated. Our room was spacious with nice furniture. The bathroom was beautiful, large glass shower for two and a nice marble sink. The room had a small bar in the hallway with a mini-fridge in a cabinet underneath.

NEGATIVES: The hotel is in need of major staff retraining. The woman checking us in was slow and not able to make any decisions for herself. I told her it was my anniversary and asked what the price would be to upgrade. The woman told us she would have to ask the manager if there were any suites we could have. She returned from the back room and advised us that there were no rooms available. She then rudely told us our room was a king and would be just fine. The manager never showed in the front for a follow up. A second woman stood behind the counter doing absolutely nothing, while there was a line of 3 people behind us waiting to check in. Upon checking out, I called the front desk from our room to advise them that we would be about 15 minutes late leaving our room. The woman said “uh…you know check out is at noon right?” I told her I did, but that we would be leaving a few minutes late. She retorted “Well, I guess that’s going to have to be okay, isn’t it.” I wanted to reach through the phone and strangle her.

Though the hotel is new, it is not clean. We left the hotel at 10pm for a casino and there was smears of what appeared to be red jelly on the hallway floor leading from the elevator to the front door. It was STILL THERE when we returned at 2am. Yuck!! There was also a french-fry covered in ketchup in the elevator. The floors of the elevators were discolored and had sticky spots, like left over gum residue.

The bed was majorly uncomfortable, and the wall between us and the next room seemed paper thin. We were subject to some very awkward noises of adult activity in the room next to us at 3:30am. We heard the toilets flush in the room next to us and the room above us. The hallway noise was very loud, even though the bed is towards the outside wall of the hotel. We were the last room at the end of the hallway away from the elevators, can’t imagine if we were in a heavier traffic area.

We will not be returning to this hotel. The Marriott needs to come in and do a major staff retrain. I was truly disappointed, I have never encountered such rude employees at a Marriott before. A bad taste of our anniversary will return us to the Borgata next time.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank aemt006
Reviewed July 7, 2008

My husband and two teenage sons spent July 4th weekend at this Courtyard and were very pleased with the property and the staff. The rooms are new and well appointed. The regular rooms are a little small, especially for a family of 4, but the suite was great. I recommend asking about the suites at this hotel, because they don't seem to advertise them too much. Two nice size rooms, dining area, microwave, mini fridge and big bathroom with jacuzzi. Very small tub, but nice. The only strange detail was the lack of a door from the master bedroom into the bathroom. It needs one. The Manager of this hotel was amazing! He gave us comp tickets to see an exhibit at the Trump and upgraded us to the suite when we complained that the regular room was too small for us. They did seem to lack cleaning staff to turn the rooms over in a timely fashion. Several guests had to wait till clean rooms were available. I didn't mind the neighborhood and found it nice and quiet compared to the rest of the city. I think its a good value and would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2008

After arriving at the hotel one evening, we found several police cars in front and the valet unavailable. We had to find our own parking (in a shady area). When we rode the elevator and got off on our floor the entire floor reeked of marijuana. There were a few people sitting on the floor in the hallway and it was obvious they had been smoking. Our room also smelled like marijuana (smell traveled from the hallway). I called the management and all they said was "we'll take care of it." No one from the Marriott staff called me again or said anything after that. I had to spray my perfume all over the room to remove the awful smell just so that I could sleep. I travel a lot of business and always stay at the Marriott especially so that i can accummulate rewards points, but this Marriott was very shady and attracted really shady characters. I should have known when I saw the many police cars in front! I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank icechica
Reviewed July 5, 2008

Just returned from a last-minute getaway for the holiday weekend. Here is what my family (2 adults, 10yo, 3 yo) experienced :

Location: not the best area, but then again, much of Atlantic City is kinda run down. Wouldn't walk to the boardwalk through the back parking lot at night because it is rather desolate, but we felt ok walking on the main streets. Proximity to beach and boardwalk is great, but the actual beach and boardwalk do not seem very family-oriented. We ended up driving 35 minutes to Wildwood NJ and had a FANTASTIC TIME on the very clean beach and fun boardwalk. Ok, back to the hotel itself...

Structure: front lobby is nice and the rooms. hallways, etc were all very clean and modern (the hotel was just renovated after all). Our room was fine for our quickie trip, but the view was not nice (a run-down bar on a back road behind the hotel), and the walls are pretty thin. The room itself was very clean and the flat-screen tv was nice.

Service: this is probably where I give the hotel the highest marks. The valets, servers during breakfast ( btw, pretty good selection and very reasonably priced) , and during check in/out were very pleasant. When we checked in, we were first given a room directly across from the ice machine, then changed (at our request) to a room directly next to the elevators and then changed again(again, at our request) to a room that was further away. These changes were all conducted with a smile and genuine apologies for our trouble.

All in all, we had a fine stay. We were looking for someplace quiet ( in relation to the craziness of the boardwalk), not too expensive, and clean. The Marriott Courtyard met our expecations . This isn't the Four Seasons or Mandarin but it's certainly adequate if you are not looking for a 5-star full service resort.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family