“Visit to Atlantic City”

Wyndham Skyline Tower
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 28, 2007

We stayed at the Skyline from Wednesday Dec 26 to Friday Dec. 28. Check-in was a breeze, and we by passed the timeshare offer. We found that the property allows use of all 3 elevators, so that is no longer an issue.

The room was large and up to date. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite on the 17th floor. The first room was a combo living room with a kitchen area and table.

The bedroom had a king bed, and a LCD television on the wall. There was a problem with the mattress which had a blood stain on it. Housekeeping could be a tad better! Plus we found gum (which obviously was left by a prior guest) which was not found by the cleaning crew.

There were a few restaurants nearby such as the AC Bar & Grill, Perry's Cafe, and the Irish Bar which we frequented. We enjoyed Perry's Cafe so much for breakfast that we went there both mornings. For dinner one night we went to the Irish Pub, so has excellent prices for food but only average taste. And the drinks are a little pricey for an Irish pub. Another day we tried the Atlantic City Pub & Grill, and we left there because the service STUNK! After we were seated the waitress took our drink ordered. She then went to another table with six people and also took their drink order. To our surprise the waitress didn't return with our drinks, but rather the group of six! She turned to us, and stated she'll be right with us! That was enough of that! We thought about Perry's Cafe for dinner, but they only serve breakfast and lunch. But next door was Popa Pizza, so we ordered a vegetable lover's pizza. Which was quite good!

All in all a good trip!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ledzep1061

Reviewed December 27, 2007

We just left this hotel early this morning, after being there less than four hours. The property itself is clean, newly renovated with modern decor and in basically good condition. The room was a one bedroom with a jacuzzi, was nicely appointed and pretty spacious (the bathroom is a little small - not much sink counter space). Check in was not a problem at approximately 8pm. We left the room to eat and when we returned at around 10:30, I pulled down the bed and saw a bedbug on a pillow. Unfortunately, on further inspection of the bed, I found more. We were offered another room, however; we opted to leave. It was just too creepy and I know bedbugs can travel from room to room.
I have stayed at many Wyndham properties and never experienced this at any of them, until now. I am not considering this as a reflection of the Wyndham chain, but since I use TripAdvisor so often for honest reviews, and this is a timeshare property that families would use, I had to post this experience.
Fortunately for us, this hotel is less than an hour from our home, so going home was an option. I'm just glad I found the bedbugs before I got in the bed.
Attached are photos of the bugs.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
30  Thank Lisa E
Reviewed November 15, 2007

The Tower is very convenient and very comfortable place to stay in Atlantic City. The one bedroom was very nice with a good view of the city. Only problem is waiting on elevators as there are only two for guest use and they stay pretty busey and I guess paying for parking even though the guys do a good job of getting your car when you need it. Stay away from so call Update session as all it is of course is a sales pitch and lengthy.
Will return as we do like the conveniance to Boardwalk and casino's.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank dandburt
Reviewed November 12, 2007

We just returned home from the Wyndham. It was our first trip to AC and were traveling for the weekend with one other couple. We chose the Wyndham based on room size and price. Our room was a one bedroom condo. The bedroom had a King Bed, it's own sink and a jacuzzi tub. It connected to the bathroom, or you could enter the bathroom through the living room. This was convenient so after one person showered they could finish getting ready using the second sink in the bedroom. The sleeper sofa was a queen size and typical in lack of comfort. We had a large balcony, overlooking South Carolina Ave. and the new Marriott. The 6th floor of the hotel offers free laundry facilities, an indoor pool and hotub, ping pong and pool tables, small arcade, rentals for DVDs, board games, coolers and a host of activities daily. They even offered Karaoke with free beer! Plenty to do for kids and adults.

The Wyndham is next door to Resorts casino, an easy walk that was well lit and always had people around. This is the easiest way to access the boardwalk. We went against the advice of many, and ventured around the hotel. We needed alcohol for the room and had to walk 2 blocks down Pacific to a party store. Also on Pacific we visited the AC Bar and grill. We continued down Pacific (one more block) and made a left on South Tennessee. We went to Maloneys and Pic-a-Lilli. All 3 local bars were very friendly. We never felt unsafe as a group of 4.

Overall, we liked the location, price, and space of the Wyndham. Everyone agreed we would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank HappyJenn
Reviewed November 6, 2007

The hotel is clean and the service is quite good. Every thing was fine except the early 10 AM check out. We were told there was no way to get a late check out except to pay $35 for the first hour and a $100 for the second. That made it hard to get everyone up (including a two year old) and out of there in time.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank Cartman72
Reviewed October 30, 2007

This is probably one of the best hotels my family and I have ever stayed in. We were initially worried how our two little ones, ages 8 and 9, would be “bored” since we came to Atlantic City with gambling, not amusement parks, in mind. But this hotel has everything to keep the little ones continuously occupied and content. The hotel offers so many activities for the kids, as well as for the adults. My kids were able to make their own ice cream sundae, sing karaoke, play billiards, play ping-pong, enjoy a hot tub, swim for hours in a good sized pool, play video games, use a high speed connection desktop pc, etc.

We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe condo unit, which had a full kitchen, dishwasher, living room, dining room, and a large tv with dvd player in the living room. The bedroom also had a decent size tv and a king-size bed. The living room had a comfortable queen-size sofabed. Deluxe simply means that the unit also had a jacuzzi. The kids loved that amenity. We also took advantage of the terrace. Everything seemed so new and modern inside the unit.

At check-in, we were asked if we were interested in a 60-minute timeshare presentation. I initially refused to partake in any typical high pressure presentation, but agreed after the woman informed us that we would be paid $60 even if we decided not to buy after the presentation. Of course, the presentation was not 60 minutes, but 90 minutes, and in the end, I gladly accepted my 60 bucks and my wife ended up spending it at the Taj Mahal. You should know that the hotel charges you 10 bucks per day to valet park your vehicle. The good thing is you can use your car throughout the day and they don’t charge more money even if you come and go ten times. The bad news is you are somewhat obligated to give the valet guy a tip every single time.

The staff was very, very pleasant to deal with and even the employee by the swimming pool who repeatedly asked my son not to jump into the pool, because it is only four feet deep, was always smiling and forgiving. I know this is a timeshare hotel and everyone is on their best behavior because they want you to buy a unit, but it appeared that the employees were genuinely happy to work there and even went out of their way to accommodate you.

Now for the bad part of our stay. I must emphasize how this was the only negative portion of our stay and it had nothing to do with the hotel, but more with the location of the hotel! We were warned by different people who stayed in Atlantic City before how the entire casino and boardwalk areas are very nice and safe, but that the surrounding areas are not so inviting. That is a complete understatement. The surrounding areas are absolutely horrible! I am originally from New York City’s mean streets and grew up in poverty. So I am, or was, accustomed to an economically depressed and crime ridden environment. The project development where I grew pales in comparison to this neighborhood. Even walking down the desolate side streets during the day on our way back to the hotel brought a bit of fear to my wife and little ones. Even at two o’clock in the afternoon there are many local drug addicts walking around like zombies. The boardwalk is only two to three blocks from the hotel, but we decided to take a shortcut instead of walking down the main strip. That was a mistake. It’s a good thing that I am a big muscular guy because I am certain the lowlifes can spot an outsider instinctively. We were glared at by the lowlifes and, I am sure, would have been mugged had it not have been for the multiple police cars driving down each and every block throughout the day. We even saw police officers at three o’clock in the afternoon looking for, presumably, drugs on the ground and in between the cracks of the sidewalks. What validated this sentiment was one night when I called a local Chinese takeout place and when I told them the address of the hotel, they tried to charge me a few bucks more to deliver our food even though their menu said free delivery. I ended up cautiously walking the three blocks myself. It is so amazing how mere blocks separate the hotels and casinos from the riffraff of Atlantic City.

The boardwalk is absolutely fantastic at night. Because we were guests of an owner, I purchased a four day, three night package from a seller on eBay, we were allowed to check out at 11:00 instead of the usual 10:00. Our rooms were also ready at 2 in the afternoon when we arrived so they let us go up two hours early. One last thing, I would have preferred to have had a washer and dryer inside the room, but the sixth floor where they had them was pretty convenient and they did not charge you anything to wash and dry your clothes. We would definitely stay at this hotel again. Because we got such a great deal on eBay, that is exactly where I would buy a package from again. When I called the hotel in the beginning of September 2007 directly, they indicated they were booked through November, we stayed September 13 through September 16. They charged about $185 for a Friday night and $230 for a Saturday night for our condo unit, but because I bought the package from an eBay owner, I ended up paying about 100 bucks a night. What a steal!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
12  Thank ShockinSean
Reviewed July 30, 2007

This Hotel was A++++ Our room was great it was a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite with a huge kitchen and a huge living room. There was a nice balcony that overlooked the Taj Mahal and the Resorts Hotel both owned by the amazing Donald Trump.

The lobby was very nice, very clean. It was pretty cold in the lobby though. We arrived at 1am and the lobby was very cold even though it was 85 outside. The front desk was not as helpful than you would think. Asked someone a couple questions about the city and did not know really too much.

Atlantic City itself is a pretty boring and tired city. I really can't see how anyone can spend more than 5 hours on the boardwalk, there are many homeless people on the boardwalk and it was very humid. The bright spot about Atlantic City is the amazing 3 story mall on the boardwalk right on the beach. Simply Amazing mall with sitting areas looking out at the beach and boardwalk.

If you are thinking about going to Atlantic City than just go for a day check out the Trump owned bulidings and than head to Ocean City. Ocean City is a lot more family friendly and great for eating and shopping.

Stayed: June 2007