“delicious!”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Brooklyn, New York
“delicious!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went here unexpectedly, without a rservation and waited about 15 minutes for a table for 2 on a Thursday night. Atmosphere is typical steakhouse--very cozy, yet upscale. Our waiter was attentive and knowledgable, and made the overall experience great! We started with the fried calamari in thai sauce--a must have if you are a calamari lover--it was not at all rubbery, freshly crisped. I got the petit filet mignon, which was cooked to perfection. Fiancee got the 32-ounce signature steak, and I must say it was enough to feed a family! He did not finish it but came pretty close! We did not know our meals came with small potatoes, so we ordered onion rings and garlic mashed potatoes on the side--equally delicious. For dessert we got the drunken banana--bananas carmelized in a caramel brown sugar rum sauce over cinnamon buns--a MUST HAVe. Overall, a great experience.

Visited August 2013

• Polish first
New Jersey
“Best steak in town!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Everything was perfect! We ordered the steak and the salmon. Crab cake appetizer was giant. Perfect garlic mashed potatoes and sauted spinach. We did not order dessert but again- the portion size was incredible. The table next to us had the hugest piece of cheesecake and ice cream sundae. Service was wonderful and so was the wine!

Visited August 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“$50 steaks should be cooked to order”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

For as expensive as Old Homestead is, you would think they have mastered how to perfectly cook a steak. My medium well petite filet ($48)? Overlooked like jerky. My husband's medium filet ($54)? Rare. The room was so loud, full of large, drunk bachelor parties, so we could barely hear each other. Service was good, but when we showed the server our barely eaten steaks, he simply offered a free dessert. Over $100 in food and $100 in wine... Glad they felt they could make it right with a piece of cake (we did not accept). Stick to the NYC location!

• Visited August 2013
Middletown, New Jersey
“Terrific food in the Borgota”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

You will pay a good price for this meal, but if you like good stake then its well worth it. I dined at Uncle Jack's in NYC a few days before the Old Homestead and I really thought that the meal at Uncle Jacks was good, but that was until I eat the Filet Mignon at the Old Homestead. There was no comparison. The Old Homestead was not only significantly better but a lot less money. The Old Homestead is a very large place, modern, not what I expected, but I have to say even with the large size the service was excellent and the food was even better. If you’re in Atlantic City and you have some extra money, the meal at the Old Homestead is well worth the money.

• Visited May 2013
New Castle, Delaware
“Ask for Server Larry”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This steakhouse is supposedly a 2nd one of the original that opened in New York somewhere in 1868. I found it to be a very upscale place with a good vibe to it. The entrees were all served promptly and were delicious. My husband had the prime rib which he said was great and I had the Chilean sea bass which was also excellent. I ate every bite. We ate there twice in a 3 day period and found that the server Larry made it much nicer than the server we had on a previous visit...can't remember his name..he was not memorable. Larry was very formal and made us feel like we were dining in a restaurant of the caliber that the Old Homestead wants it's customers to feel. For dessert we had the cheesecake and it was way too creamy...almost like eating butter... I would not order it again. Someone near me ordered the chocolate cake. It looked like a better option for dessert. Note that they charge for every drink refill...so be aware of that before you drink 5 refills of iced tea...you will see it on your bill 5 times. That is probably the only thing I did not like about this restaurant. Wasn't crazy about the macaroni and cheese either. Seemed like Velveeta which I expect better from a place like this. The rest of the sides which we tried were veggies and were all delicious. The onion bread here is very good. Overall they get an excellent rating because of the food quality and atmosphere.

Visited July 2013