“Worth the wait”

Ranked #3 of 407 Restaurants in Atlantic City
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went to this diner after reading on the internet. We were met with a HUGE line up but decided to do it anyways, and are so glad we did! The long wait in the hot diner was worth it! Half of the experience is watching the workings of this place - the sandwiches are huge, the order system unique and the pictures on the wall an easy way to pass the time while you wait to receive the best steak and cheese sandwich you will ever eat!! I don't know what they put in those humongous sandwiches, but...wow!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,280)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I rate this "Excellent" Five stars against other similar restaurants and sandwich shops.

It's been more than 30 years since I've been to White House. I had to get my favorite, a cheesesteak with fried onions and mushrooms. Fantastic! Just like I remember it....and those rolls! Not as good as I remember, but still great. The meat is always tender. They don't have to chop it up, it's good the way it is.

The place hasn't changed a lick since I was there last. If it had, I would have been disappointed. Two days later, I went back. I had to get my fill of it because I don't go to AC very often. On my return, I got a Chicken cacciatore sub. This was totally amazing. One of the best sandwiches I've ever had.

It's nice to go back to a favorite haunt. It's like no time has past at all. Guess that's why all of those stars up on the walls make it a habit to visit when in AC. Why hasn't this place been on Diners Drive Ins and Dives yet?

Cash only. They have an ATM.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We purchased a White House Special which we have purchased several times before. The only problem is too much meat (smile).

Reviewed August 28, 2013

this is a place that survived the Sandy Hurricane! It was damaged but brought back to its original wonderful self. The absolute best sub shop anywhere. My favorite is the green pepper steak sub. Only 1/2 since you really can't eat a whole. Loaded with steak and the greatest bread you have ever tasted. Indescribeable, really. Just 10 booths but worth the wait. Pictures hung on the walls of the entertainers and politicians that ate there. You name it, from Frank Sinatra to Pres Clinton. Dress in jeans or anything you want and you'll fit right in. I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stop at one of their locations every time I am in town, I recently came to A.C. for a 2 day business meeting and ate at White house 3 times over the 2 day time period. (the meeting was in the Trump Taj Mahal so that is the location I frequented most recently.I have never had a bad meal here and the place is always packed so be prepared to wait as all the sandwich's are prepared fresh before your eyes. Here is an interesting fact although they show the sub sizes on the wall, the actual sandwich's are larger than they appear- the 6" comes out as an 8" and the foot long is nearly 15". Very filling and delicious, I have tried the breakfast subs and they are good too. Long lines are common so it is advised to go at off peak times. a great value and great fun.