“Birthday at Borgata”

Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York, NY
“Birthday at Borgata”
Reviewed April 14, 2007

I had been to The Borgata a couple other times, but only for one night. My girlfriend and I spent two nights here this time...the first night being my birthday.

The rooms are clean and gorgous. I was a little upset that the
bathroom and shower were smaller in the room this time for some reason.

Had dinner at Bobby Flay's. Got the ribeye cooked medium rare and it was fantastic. The 1/2 lobster appetizer could've had more meat on it though...

I love the gambling floor and layout of the hotel. The lobby is
beautiful. The bars and restaurants are all in view. The cocktail
waitresses are all attractive (and well endowed, thanks to the strongest push up bras known to man!)

For the first time ever, I actually WON money on the slots...but of course, I gave it all back over the next 2 days. :(

The indoor pool is luxourious. They play music under water, which is amazing. Lots or pretty trees and windows too. I do have one major complaint though.....TOO MANY KIDS!!! The first time I went, there were no kids, but the last 2 times, there were 20-30 kids around and it's just not relaxing at all. A seperate kids area would be ideal if they ever renovate.

We went to the comedy club and laughed our butts off, too. It's always nice to have a good laugh.

One complaint I have..and I wonder if anybody else has had this
experience..is The Metropolitan cafe has the absolute WORST service ever. We ate there for dinner and breakfast on our last visit and we litterally walked out...that's how rude they were. Cold food, slow service...at one point, the waiter literally took my girlfriends food away from her, saying in a mean manner "This isn't yours"...but it was hers! Very weird moment and I wouldn't be surprised to see this place get a makeover soon.

Other than the kids in the pool and the cafe...everything else is first
class.

Stayed April 2007
8 Thank musicandthecity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 14, 2007

Borgata was the destination for my group's convention in early April. While Atlantic City itself was a little worn down, the Borgata was shiny as a new nickel. The check-in process was smooth and the standard room is nicely appointed including a marbled bathroom with fragrant toiletries and a bed with comfortable mattress, pillows and sheets. Relatively speaking, the Borgata costs significantly more than other Atlantic City casinos. Perhaps the Borgata can incorporate their $10/day Internet cost into their overnight rate?

The meeting rooms were well appointed including a state of the art video screen and very accommodating porters who delivered packages at the booth and tear down.

I'm not a big gambler but was a little surprised to see slot machines that didn't operate with coins. Instead you get a ticket/voucher. That removes some of the excitement with all the jackpot coin noise of "cling cling cling" gone.

We had a memorable and decadent dinner at the Old Homestead seafood/steak restaurant (not Bobby Flays). Ask the waiter to prepare an appetizer with a seafood selection --- then try to not let your jaw hit the floor when he returns to your table with a 3-tier silver platter with huge, fresh shrimp, oysters, crab... Amazing!

For a casino that supposedly caters to high-rollers, I was surpised there weren't more exclusive shopping opportunities on premise or nearby. The elevators can be slow and crowded. Most disappointing was the poorly coordinated exit by the valet and bag handers. The very poor driving instructions from the car valet when asked how to return to Philadelphia and he muttered, "take the highway." It would have been more helpful if he described the route to access this highway as we ended up on a detour through local streets. Regardless, Borgata was crisp, clean, entertaining and likely the only place I would consider staying at if I visited Atlantic City again.

• Liked — Nice rooms, good restaurant selection.
  • Disliked — Location away from the Boardwalk. Distance to Philadelphia Airport.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank HappyTrailsChicago
New York
Reviewed April 11, 2007

I stayed at the Borgata on April 5, My room was a comp so I shouldn't complain, but as far as rooms go, it was rather small. Kingsize bed on the 14th floor with a city view. Looked a little run down.

Anyway, the Borgata poker room is rather nice. I like the automatic shufflers at each table. I consider myself an above average poker player, but when someone calls your all in bet with pocket threes, and I'm holding Kings, and he gets his set on the turn, it can put a bad taste in your mouth.

The dealers are average. In most casinos, I sense an overall low morale with the casino staff. Some dealers are friendly, some are not. If the Borgata wants to be number 1, they need to instill better attitudes in their casino staff. Maybe a little hospitality training could help.

The Borgata was generous on comps. All my meals were covered. I just wish I had better luck.

I'm off to the Atlantis in the Bahamas in May. Hope this review was helpful.

• Liked — It was a comp
  • Disliked — Room was small and seemed a little run down
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JJCNewYork
NJ
Reviewed April 5, 2007

My husband and I recently went to The Borgata for their Rejuvenation Massage Package, which includes the breakfast buffet. We decided on the 50 minute Swedish Massage. I have to say, we enjoyed it immensely. Before the massage we waited In the spa waiting room and there was water, juices, fruit and cheese to have if you like. An added touch was, you can use all of the spa facilities all day long.

We decided to eat at the buffet for dinner. It was very good and had a good amount of seafood which we always look forward to.

We're not into gambling too much, but I did play the slots, but no winner here.

Our room was on the 35th floor with a beautiful view of the casino skyline. Beautiful room and quite large.The bathroom was very large, with a wonderful walk in shower. Toilet was in a separate area with a privacy door.

We've been to Las Vegas 4 times and we have stayed at The Taj and Harrah's Marina before in AC, but I now would always stay at The Borgata....first class all the way.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank HulaGurl
Smyrna, Delaware
Reviewed April 2, 2007

I normally write very long reviews, but since I stay at the Borgata every time I go to AC, I will keep this one relatively short.

This is the only hotel to book when in AC, unless you are a highly rated casino player that can get the best rooms in any of the other hotel/casinos. Their standard room is always clean and their bathroom is extremely nice and large. It has a very large stand up all marble and glass door shower, a separate room for the toilet and lots of space. I've had the opportunity to stay in a suite and was impressed more with the bathroom than the hotel room itself (the Borgata suite bathroom is almost as big as my room at Ballys).

The decor is very modern and the casino has all of the latest slot games. They have a lot of restaurants for any price level and taste. I normally go to the N.O.W. for lunch to order my favorite Asian style noodle soups. I have eaten at Bobby Flay's steakhouse and also got a tasty Philly style cheesesteak from Tony Luke's in the new cafeteria.

The clientele is much better than the bums, trash and hookers that walk around the boardwalk casinos. Most of those are outdated and hard to navigate anyway.

Bottom line - I am a very picky traveler and even the most basic room at the Borgata is acceptable by me. If you must find an alternate hotel, stay at Harrahs Marina hotel. Stay away from the boardwalk hotels unless you want to be close to the boardwalk itself.

• Liked — Modern, clean, lots of restaurants, best casino floor in AC
  • Disliked — Cab ride is $11 if you want to go to the boardwalk
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank Vaison
New York
Reviewed March 31, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Borgata for 4 nights for our anniversary. March 11-15th. As always the Borgata doesn't disappoint.
Sunday March 11- We arrived in Atlantic City at 11:15 in the AM. Had a 1130 reservation for the Caesars Brunch. It was well worth the 44.95 per person. They had a flutist, a violinist and a guitarist. I had my share of shrimp, crablegs, salmond, roasted turkey, prime rib and other selections as well as Mimosas and Bloody Marys. Checked into the Borgata at about 1pm. What long check in line but they moved pretty quickly. Missed the 2 million dollar winner. She won on the 5 cent progressive wheel of fortune the day before.

We got a regular room for 4 nights (1 comped). We were put on the 31st floor - room 3130 with a beautiful view of the casino skyline. Played a little and lost some money. We decided to go to the other side and took a jitney. Left the car parked. We went to the pier and looked at the new stores they added since we were there in August and its coming along. Had dinner at Rainforest Cafe and enjoyed the meal. Headed back to Borgata since we had tickets to the comedy show. I must say didn't know what to expect since I never heard of the comedians but it was very funny. After the show hit the slots a little and then headed to bed.

Monday, March 12- Anniversary- This is our 4th anniversary and we headed down to the buffet and as usual we couldn't complain. Borgata always had a great buffet. Afterwards we tried our hand at the 5cent wheel of fortune. Of course you had to wait because everyone wanted a chance since they had the big winner. No luck so we headed to the penny machines. I am not a high roller so was more than happy. Found a super jackpot party machine and put in our twenty dollars. We were on that machine for about 3 hours and we had a ball. I had to shue the hubby away a few times. Told him go find his own machine. We bickered a little and entertained those around us but we were just having so much fun. By time we finished it was time to go register for the bingo tournament. Now mind you this is my first time and when I tell you those folks don;t play, they come prepared. Played eight games and it was hilarious. Didn't win but the older folks were so entertaining. There was not a empty seat anywhere. Everytime someone yelled bingo, you should have heard all the moans. Didnt win.. did I say that already but we had fun. Now we decide to go to the room and freshen up. We decide to go to the Tropicana and we had dinner at Carmines. It was perfect for us. We ordered a Shrimp Parmagana with Spaghetti. They tell you ahead of time that the meals are made to be shared and belive me, one is all you need. After we stuffed ourselves, we did a little window shopping in the plaza at the Tropicana and decided to head back to the Borgata. Played some more slots...won about 110 dollars and then decided to go to bed.
Tuesday, March 13--Headed down to the buffet again and took our usual jitney to the other side. Went to Caesars and won about $50 and decided to head to brookstone to get our daily massages in their wonderful chairs. Can't beat free. After our massages we went to the walk and looked in the shops. Then we decided to walk futher down and went to the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory- Bought a Strawberry
Cheesecake Candy Apple with Crushed Graham Crackers. OH MY GOD.. It was so good. Hubby bought a chocolate chip cookie. He was in heaven. It is near the converse factory outlet across from Ruby Tuesdays on Atlantic Avenue. Decided to walk back to Caesars and I said hey lets go to the Wild Wild West. Found a Bonus Frenzy penny machine and put about $10 in it. First spin hit for $5. Second spin about another $5.
Third spin hit $50 dollars asked hubby was he ready and he say no spin again and what do you know. I look and say oh I hit for $100 no it was over 100 thousand pennies. Man comes out of nowhere and says I was on that machine all morning. You didn't win $100 dollars that is $1000 dollars. Shut up... no its not and sure enough it was for $1012. We cashed out and was gone. Now we think we are high rollers we go to the 25 cent machines and I hit one for $50 and Hubby hits one for $90. We were happy so we first got our new bally cards and then we went to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner. Had a few drinks head back to Borgata to play some slots. Hit another $80 and decide to call it a night.

Wednesday. March 14- Buffet again and then go to the other side. Visit my Aunt who works at the courthouse. Stay for a little bit and then go to Taj Mahal. Hit again for $50 but this time put it back into the slots. No Worries. Walk to Caeasars and play a little. Hit for about $30. Leave and go get our daily massages at brookstone. Get hungry and go to Rainforest again and then head back to Borgata. Play a little slots. No luck. Turn in for the night. Thursday, March 15- Guess where...buffet again... see an old friend...have breakfast...play slots...out by 10:45 am and home in Harlem NY at 12:45. Smooth sailing on the Garden State and the Turnpike to the GWB.

Overall we had a wonderful time. We have a new system playing the slots.. we call it the stick and move. If we hit collect and go to another machine. Until our next visit.. Have a happy St Patricks Day.
Harlemgirl

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank harlemgirl720
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 13, 2007

We get a free room 1 night per week at this hotel. We have stayed at the Borgata 5 times over the past year and we couldn't be happier with the facilities and the amenities this hotel has to offer (not that we got to use them much since we were always at the tables).

The room is very clean and has a nice bathroom/shower, although a standard room seems small for a 5 star hotel (comparing to Venetian/Bellagio in LV)...

BobbyFlay has a very nice atmosphere staffs are attentive. NOW serves some good noodle dishes, but the service is slow..

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple