“Luxury at its Best”

Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Central NJ
“Luxury at its Best”
Reviewed August 5, 2006

Well after gambling there once before we were invited to a complimentary room at the Borgata for one night in July and one night in August. We picked July 31st and Aug 1st and it worked without any problems. We got arrived at the hotel about 855 pm on Monday July 31st. After receiving our keys we went to the elevator. The elevator to the left seems to be the cheap rooms, so we were in store for a classic room. Once we got up there, we saw people leaving our room. We went downstairs and told the front desk a nice story stating how we brought our luggage up there and all and our room was already occupied. I mentioned upgrade about 3 times and then the manager gave us the "Best room in the Borgata" and it was our first stay as well as a 2 nighter. After staying in this room, i realize why the Borgata is the best. Two 50 Inch LCD Tvs, one in main room, one in bedroom, and one 20 inch lcd in bathroom. Two seperate bathrooms. A remote control for the blinds/shades. Three couches, a small conference room. Two doors that lead into the bedroom that open and close. A computer with free internet access, one of the most comfortable beds i have ever had. Paintings all over the room. Bose Radio with Bose surround sound. A digital temperature gauge, i lowered it to 50 but it wont go lower then 65. My girlfriend and I are 25 and 24 and i assume we were just lucky because this was the best hotel compared to the Resorts, Taj and Hilton that i have stayed in before. Which made things better, the slot machine unloaded $960 to me the next morning with only spending $50 to get there. The club Mur Mur had an extremely long line, so we didnt get in there. Everything about this place is great. Our 2 night stay was comped and upgraded. I hate hearing how people complain about the rooms but dont do anything about it. If my room had a half a bar of soap or dirty windows i would complain and get upgraded regardless. I even almost forgot the little things like the two robes, different facial scrubs, slippers, chocolate candies on the bed. Regardless of the room i got, i was expecting a 5 star hotel/casino and it lived up to its name. I will always remember the Piatto Suites.

• Liked — Everything, they really make you feel important.
  • Disliked — Hmm...that i have to drive to the boardwalk
  • Tips/Secrets — When they say what kind of room at you interested in, use the words Jacuzzi, or Suite, or Upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank noxscape

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 15, 2006

Stayed/Played @ The Borgata Saturday July 15th,2006. This was my first visit to the Borgata. I arrived around 1pm, too early to check in. I was hungry, so decided to check out the New Cafeteria downstairs. If you are on a budget or just want good food fast, try this out. I had lunch at Panda Express, very good Orange Chicken. I then had dinner at The Fatburger, great burger, later in the day. I played around on the $.25 slots to gain abouut $15.00 in a hour. I'm not a big high roller, so that was good, payed for my lunch. If you are fairly young, as I was (22), go to security and get your hand stamped. You won't be bothered by security asking for ID. I was carded once and given this suggestion from the friendly security guard. I was stopped one other time and just flashed the stamp, the woman apologized and wished me luck. I proceeded to the hote lobby around 3:45pm to join the masses checking in. I had reserved the Classic Room for $379+Tax. I was a little surprised to find an additional tax charge of $8.79 at check out, due to the sales tax increase from the budget crisis. The front desk was very friendly and I was asked if I wanted a high/low room. I replied it didn't matter. I ended up with the 20th floor overlooking the pool area with a great view of the strip. Having the cheapest room rate, I expected worse. As it has been said, you do have to flash your room key to the security guards to get access to the elevators. The room was very nice. The coffee bar and mini-fridge were a nice touch. The shower was great, definately sit down! It sounds odd, but it was nice chilling in the nice shower! I also had tickets for the Jim Gaffigan performance, which was great. The Music Box is a nice venue for shows like this. Several people were confused thinking the line was for the Paul Simon show at the event center. I slept for 9 straight hours on the very comfortable bed. The 300 Count Egyptian cotton sheets rocked! I also went to 4 other boardwalk hotels. While I had a good time, I felt more at home at the Borgata. It is definately more for the younger crowd. I felt like I was at a retirement home at Bally's and The Claridge. As for the comments on the "attitudes" from the staff, I'm not sure where everyone got that from. I'm from central PA, no means am I "stuck up" or "snooty" and I felt I was taken good care of. Even the bartenders were friendly. I asked for directions without even ordering a drink and they helped me out with no complaint. Would I go back? Definately. Enoy The Borgata!!

• Stayed July 2006
10 Thank CenPennTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 15, 2006

I received an offer for a free night at the Borgata from MGM (Borgata is a joint venture of MGM and Boyd Gaming), so I was anxious to take them up on it. Arriving at the hotel (which was a monster to find, I made a wrong turn and that was it. I’m a AC novice), aesthetically, it’s beautiful, every bit a match for the hotels in Las Vegas. However at check in, the problems began, the over-tanned, over-blonde person (named Janice) at the front desk was rude, cutting me off mid-sentence when I was trying to be friendly.

It took an hour for me to get the non-smoking room (at 9:30pm!) I’d requested on the phone when I made the reservation. Once I got to the room I had to check out what all the hubbub I’d heard was really about; the full length windows, were so dirty I couldn’t see out of them; the bathroom, had a half used bar of soap sitting on a washcloth that was covered by hair in the shower; the sheets on the bed – had holes each night I stayed. Needless to say – I am disappointed.

The buffet was par with what I’d expected, however service there was lacking – I had to flag someone down to get refills on my drink both times (lunch once, dinner once) I was there. The best meal I had was at the Metropolitan, the lines were too long anywhere elsewhere to merit my waiting, even with reservations I passed on the Old Homestead as there was a line to get to the hostess stand! I would of liked to go to one of the bars, but the band at the Gypsy Bar was borderline offensive, and the B-Bar was way too loud for such a small area.

I doubt I’ll return to the Borgata, from the non-existent customer service to the dirty rooms. I’ll save my money and go to Las Vegas in the future.

26 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2006

This place gave me a breath of fresh air again. With a family now I had put the gambling and partying behind me; my friend/poker buddy kept calling me telling me about this place called the Borgata! Finally, I had a business trip in NJ and met him at the Borgata, which was ez to find and parking was great. I walked in and felt alive again. Immediately sat in on a poker table in a packed poker room. Stop gambling for awhile and went to Club Mixx, which was a blast! Played a late nite poker satellite tournament....I talked to management which was nice and polite to go a long with the first class atmosphere. They make everyone feel like VIP not just the high rollers! Its one stop shopping you dont have to leave the building. I wont say the best place because thats too broad, but definitely the best building I have ever visited!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seminole, Fl
Reviewed July 6, 2006

Checked in on July 1 on a reservation I've had for months. Not a good sign when reservationist says, "Uh Oh". Walks over to young, seated, computer clicking suit. Feels like I'm buying a car and the salesman is playing the manager-water cooler game. Impressive Guy comes back and with furrowed brow exclaims, "Ok here's the situation we are in." Hmmm, haven't moved an inch and I'm already finding myself in a situation. Impressive Guy with doting reservationist now at his side but offering no eye contact (another not good sign), sighs sound of regret that because this is a holiday weekend, a number of guests have decided to extend their stays and my suite is no longer available. Feeling a bit Seinfeldian, I begin to quip about taking reservations vs. holding them, when I trail off and simply ask what they are going to do about it. Impressive Guy now, incredibly, offers to give me a downgraded room but chare me a regular room rate. He says that they (presumably the MGM accountants) are not making much off of the incredibly graceous offer. I say, 'neither am I', but this is lost on Impressive Guy and doesn't even register with Doting Reservationist. I accept the offer, hit the room, leave my wife, daughter and niece to hit the Pat Benatar concert (Fantastic, but she would be so in a parking lot) and then a marathon at the slots. My wife heads to the spa to check things out (after falling in love with it on the web) and is chastised by Finger Wagging Spa Chick for having the audacity to enter without an appointment. When wife asks for a brochure, Finger Wagging Spa Chick screeches, "don't you have internet in your room"? Not really heading in the right direction. Well, it can't get any worse than this, I naively chortle upon hearing the tale from my now ex-wife. Kidding. But, amazingly, then the real fun begins the next morning. Getting ready to check out at 11, after my wife was chastised and nose-sniffed at by the maid for asking for an extra condiment packet for the coffee, and answering a phone call from Stringent Housekeeping Gestapo about our intent on vacating before 11, the toilet begins running, spilling, drenching and is not in the mood for stopping. My wife is going ballistic, using all the towels to stem the tide of flotsam, and I make the call to the front desk. Can we get a few extra minutes to check out? Everything is sopping wet. Not so incredibly I guess, Steadfast Front Desk Woman sniffs about it being a holiday weekend, and that every minute counts and this request can not be honored. I repeat the part about the Borgata's toilet exploding and she huffs, with disgust, "Ok, sir, go ahead", and hangs up on me. Several foks have written reviews about this place being for the upscale and the self important. Must be really cool cats who step in it and come out smelling like roses. Me? I need a Lifeboat, I mean Showboat.

33 Thank KTMachine
NYC
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I'm not sure what's going on with all these negative reviews because when I stayed at the Borgata it was amazing. The hotel is gorgeous and still has that brand new look to it. The room was very comfortable, the beds were amazing and everything was just first class all the way. Didn't spend much time in the room but then again at a place like this who does? The casino was lots of fun, spent a lot of time playing the slots. Also happened to be there during a time when a concert was going on so I saw a few celebrities in the casino. The stay was great, I loved it and am returning this summer!!

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank alohamari
Randolph, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2006

OK, so who knew the State would ACTUALLY shut down Atlantic City's casinos as a result of their budget impasse. We took a "gamble" knowing it could happen and headed to the Borgata on their representation that, even if the casinos are not operating, it would be "business as usual" at the Hotel (restaurants, shops, etc to remain open). So, when they DID shut the casinos down (and, let's be honest - there is LITTLE else to do in AC) we hung in there and figured, if nothing else, we would stay in the Borgata's VERY NICE rooms and enjoy a selection of varied, upscale eateries. BUT, we quickly learned it would NOT be "business as usual," as management decided to close most of the restaurants, shops and other amenities.
So, we checked out a day early and headed home. Upon check-out I asked the front desk to waive one night's room charge based upon their representation that, except for the casino, we would be able to enjoy everything else. We were handed over to the front desk manager who abruptly brushed aside my request and briskly offered $50 off. I told her, in light of their representations, this was unacceptable. Her only position was to "hold the company line" and continuously repeat her $50 offer. This was our second time at Borgata and although the hotel is absolutely beautiful and the rooms are nice, most of the hotel staff is "full of themselves" and are in need of an attitude adjustment.

• Stayed July 2006