“Vegas vibes”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
“Vegas vibes”
Reviewed May 21, 2006

We didn't stay at the Borgata, but had dinner, caught a concert, and had post-concert gelato. The hotel has wonderful Vegas vibes and is newish. A little tricky to get to, but worth it. Be aware that they charge $5 for parking, less than the Skyline Towers/Fairfield, but a little more than other boardwalk hotels.

We ate at Mixx prior to the concert. The sushi is nothing special, though I heard someone raving about it later at the concert. We went with a series of appetizers and side dishes and enjoyed them all: popcorn shrimp (sauce was not spicy enough), chilled asparagus in black sesame sauce, wrinkled green beans (both awesome!), a smart fingerling potato salad with a hint of lemon, others that I can't remember. The waitstaff was pleasant and friendly, the manager helpful when we asked about the music selection.

As a concert, I'll keep it short and sweet. Fabulous, intimate venue. Couldn't ask for more! Depeche Mode rocked the house.

I just wanted to commend the staff at the Gelato shop near the Music Box. Despite heavy crowds at midnighton a Saturday night, they handled customers in a professional manner. I particularly want to thank the lady who was scooping out the gelato for patiently telling me all the flavors available (I couldn't see from where I was in line). I'm sure that she went through the flavor list 100x verbally! Also, I'd like to point out that Carolyn at the cash register was wonderful. A lady tried to cut in line because she didn't feel like waiting. She claimed that she waited in line for 7 minutes, which wasn't true. Carolyn tactfully told her that there was a long line and I told the lady that we were next in line, that she never waited in line. She is a disgrace to Depeche Mode fans. Carolyn handled her and another tough customer. She has the patience of a saint.

• Stayed May 2006
13 Thank LLori

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 15, 2006

This hotel is newish and modern, not worn down, has many restaurant choices (the buffet restaurant was excellent, as was the steakhouse), doesn't seem to cater to the nickel slotters, and has OK table games (5X craps odds, decent 21 rules). Rooms are at the low end of 5 star - not quite as nice as a Sheraton's Preferred Guest rooms, for example. Staff is professional and helpful, but the assertive uniformed security guarding the hotel elevators and demanding to see a plastic room key card - maybe found in the trash or on the floor, who knows? - is a little downscale. I would return, certainly, especially given the alternatives - ick - but if the Borgata wants to be World Class, it will have to try harder. (Caution: The Borgata is in the Marina area, which is not on the beach/boardwalk, nor is it nearly within walking distance of the beach.)

• Stayed May 2006
15 Thank CJG87
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 15, 2006

A few simple solutions would enhance their pool and gym area. The pool is only three feet deep. So it is not for swimmers. However, with the number of children in the pool, it is not for adults either. A new adult pool should be built outside. May increase insurance and lifeguard costs, but draw more customers. The gym has an entrance fee, and looked empty. With most people belonging to gyms, or having exercise equipment at home, there is no reason to charge for a gym. A cafe should be opened at the pool with newspapers so that adults could buy a cup of java and enjoy a daily read.

Buffet is average with price charged. Meal for four at buffet with tip will cost close to $140. Management of Borgata should visit Paris in Vegas to see how to run a buffet. Anyone under 18, should pay $9.95. Seniors over 62, should pay 9.95. Buffets are not for profit in a casino. You all get it now. As for the food, the Chinese food was average. Better authenitc asian food wil bring more asian gamblers.{ who all go to Connecticut but are babied with their own food choices.} Desserts are average. Meats good. Salads good.
They should set up a soda and beverage refill area, so that customers can get their own beverages if they prefer. Get a Johnnie Rockets!

The tables like in any casino are the focus of management. Friendly dealers, and of course great drink servers. Smart to have non smoking in casino.

Stores outside of Starbucks are silly and boring. Prices are rediculously high at clothing and jewlery stores. Even candy is overpriced by 75 to 125%.The stores are usually empty. You to can buy a pair of jeans with style for $ 140. Talk about a lost opportunity. Have to be a fool to buy expensive jewelry without getting a real appraisal.

Check in and Check out is above average. Depaends on ones arrival, but if you arrive early and they have the room they check you in. Check out is fast for they have express check out. Cusotmers that stay at the hotel should be comped for the $ 5.00 of parking in the parking lot. With gas prices rising, it can be an additional comp for travellers that are spending $ 60 on gas to arrive from NYC with tools included.

With a free room, and $ $ 60 cost of carry to get the casino from nyc, $ 140, for buffet, one needs to profit $ 250 to break even. Clearly if room rate was included at $ 200 a night, then one would need to make $450 to break even. Bettter off eating at local diner, and gettting a friendly game of Poker in your own residential area, with the $ 250 to $ 450 going to charity.

Stayed March 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Delaware
Reviewed April 29, 2006

This is the first day here at the Borgata. My husband and I absolutely love it. After reading some of the negative posts on here, I was a little worried. However, from the moment we arrived we were amazed. We are on the 6th floor, facing the bay and the ocean, so we have a wonderful view. The room is gorgeous, and so is the bathroom. I highly recommend the fiore suite. Having seen the sad reviews of the buffet, I was really surprised about my experience being so wonderful. The food is fantanastic, I ate so much I could barely move afterwards. Even room sevice prices are not bad for a place like this. I've been to other places that don't even compare to this, and their room services prices were horribly expensive. I'll leave a post later in the visit to Borgata, as of now I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank Jaimenremt51
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 23, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Borgata April 19th and 20th. We arrived around 9:30 p.m. and were told it would be 45 minutes before we could get into our room. We were given room 4025, which was right next to the elevators on the 40th floor. The noise from the elevators did not bother us during our stay, but we really did not spend that much time in the room. The room itself was just OK. The shower leaked and housekeeping did not leave enough towels and toiletries our first night. Also, we were disappointed that our only late night dining choices were a buffet (yuck) or room service (again, just OK). I think next time we will just book at Harrahs for half the price. There really isn't much at the Borgata that sets it apart from the other AC properties anymore.

12 Thank JanThirteen
Mesquite, Nevada
Reviewed April 22, 2006

We stayed here for the fifth time, and it seems just as nice now as ever. The pool is magnificent, the rooms are beautiful with extra comfy beds, the gambling is good and the food is as good (but more expensive) as the most Las Vegas strip venues.

5 Thank colonialmist
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 19, 2006

Borgata is disgusting and a total disappointment. It was my boyfriend's birthday and I planned a weekend getaway to the AC, a two-hour drive from NYC. I decided on the Borgata after reading reviews on this website. What a huge mistake. Before I go into why let me preface this by saying that my boyfriend and I don't go to AC often. We don't go to casinos, period. We're well traveled, cosmopolitan, and urban and generally our idea of fun is not sitting in front of slot machines feeding in quarter after quarter while slurping down beer. But, this being the bf's birthday, I thought this would be a fun surprise trip. What a huge mistake.

First, this hotel is tacky. After we parked our car, we walked into Borgata's shopping mall which sells, what else, tacky Borgata paraphrenalia. Where you can buy tacky tee shirts stamped all over with the Borgata brand. As if you couldn't enough of this ugly place, now you need to bring a piece of it home with you. Ick. There's a Borgata jewelry shop, Borgata gift shop, I almost did a double take when I saw a Starbucks because I expected Borgata Coffee Cafe. There's a faux water fountain in the middle of the shopping mall, with pastel marble ringed by plastic flowers. I don't need to go into why this is tacky.

The lobby of the hotel is tacky. The front desk is huge (we didn't have to wait to check-in), it's like a 1980s flashback. Neon lights and more pastel marble. And these indescrible tacky plastic chandeliers that look like a cross between a pastel Christmas ornament and something the ocean threw up.

Second, the smell. The casino floor, the lobby, the restaurants are permeated with this odd smell like ammonia that has been applied unsuccessfully over throw up. It's nasty, it's disgusting, and there's no way to get away from that smell unless you stay in your hotel room or leave the Borgata. The whole place is indoors: the shopping mall, the casino, the restaurants. There is no natural light. Just the weird pastel neon light from the tacky chandeliers or the glow from the slot machines. You can't get fresh air in this place. Instead you get this recirculated air that smells like stale throw up.

Third, I asked for a room that wouldn't face the construction noise. The front desk attendant asked me where I had read about ongoing construction. Trip Advisor, I told him. Hah, he responded, our competitors from other hotels post false information on that website to make the Borgata look bad. I can't substantiate that, but I can say that we got a room that overlooked the other hotels and the far far far away ocean that is close to all other hotels. We looked out the window of our hotel room, longingly and jealously at all of the other hotels that were within a stone's throw of the Atlantic Ocean. The Borgata is far from the ocean, you cannot walk to the Boardwalk. And we were advised not to because according to the desk attendant we'd be walking through "the ghetto" surrounding the Borgata and the other hotels.

(I thought the above remark was racist, my bf disagreed. The overwhelming race of the guests were white, they all looked like they were from the midwest. Well, they had that type of a fashion sense - sweatshirt, sweatpants, and running shoes at all times. And the occasional Harley's Angels has-been with a sunburn, tattooed arms, and a beer gut.)

The hotel room was fine. We were neither overwhelmed nor under. It was in short a hotel room. The bathroom could have been cleaner and we only had a shower no bath, but the bed was firm and comfortable.

Fourth, the food is disgusting in this place. We couldn't make reservations at the Old Homestead so we ate instead at the Metropolitan (the only place open after 10 PM on a weekend). The food was greasy, oil, unhealthy. Borgata food is all about carbohydrates, sugars, and fats. Very little protein, and very slim options for vegetarians. No wonder so many fat people waddled around the casino floor.

Five, the people. The Borgata staff was fine enough. They were polite and courteous, not rude contrary to what postings on this site says. But the guests? Ewwww... I got depressed watching all the septagenarians sit for hours on end, glassy-eyed, feeding small change into the slot machines. Or the chain smoking old Asians sitting at the blackjack tables at 2 am. The young people were no better. I don't understand people under the age of 40 who's idea of a good time is to sit at a gambling table, belching on beer, and surrounded by second hand smoke. The club Mixx looked lame, and silly pop music was playing when we walked in. We didn't stay long.

So conclusion:
1. The Borgata is tacky
2. The Borgata smells bad
3. The Borgata is far away from the ocean and other hotels
4. The Borgata will make you fat
5. Other guests of the Borgata will depress you

If you are
a) under 40
b) hip, trendy, and cosmopolitan
c) healthy
d) educated
STAY AWAY FROM THE BORGATA!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member