“Fun, elegant, nice Vegas vibe... with one exception”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I didn’t know what to think after reading conflicting reviews for Borgata here. Just returned from a stay there, and here’s what I feel the real scoop is. Borgata is as nice a hotel as any upper-mid level hotel on the Vegas strip, with the exception of some issues with the beds...

Don’t compare Borgata to all the luxury hotels you’ve stayed at around the world (?!?). It’s Atlantic City. Given that, Borgata does a great job looking and feeling like Vegas.

Casino -Huge poker room. Friendly dealers. Slots pretty loose. more 1c and 5c machines than I’ve ever seen, for those that like them. Nonsmoking areas, good ventilation.

Food - some nice, big name restaurants although PRICEY. Metropolitan and the Buffet were reasonable, good food, generous portions, nothing fancy.

Elevators - super FAST! This is an essential not found in many hotels.

Spa - very nice. Spacious, friendly; they were running specials on many services. Best facial I’ve had.

Rooms - nicely appointed and comfortable. But WHAT is up with the beds?

The "Bed Issue" causes me to take a star away from this review. There are no fitted sheets. The flat sheets wrapped around the mattress come away as soon as you pull down the sheet. There were no PILLOWCASES on the pillows- just shams that apparently they think you are supposed to sleep on - and they were none too clean. (It was 3am when we discovered this else we would have called housekeeping) We wrapped towels around them before sleeping. Sitting on the end of the bed causes the head of the bed to bounce up. Jeez Borgata, a hotel with all this invested in it certainly needs to improve the quality of its beds.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank danakate

Reviewed September 21, 2009

It was my first time staying at a Casino Hotel. I really like the overall cleanliness. Its very modern and nicely decorated. The staff were polite and friendly. Staying at Borgata is like staying in a mini city. My family and I didn't need to go anywhere else!! We spent the whole day there!

The slot machines were fun too! Try out the ones with funny themes (Jaws, monoplogy, the one with funny pigs running.....those ones were fun to play!!)

The only two things the could need improvements are:

1. Free Internet access?? I mean, nowadays, Internet access is free with most hotels, so, I don't see why Borgata, which is considered as high-end hotel, should charge people for Internet access! Give it away for free will be nice!!

2. A bit of warning about the content of the free comedy show! On the night I was there, the comedy show was great. BUT....it was very graphic with lots of swearing words. I enjoyed the show....but I don't think my uncle did.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I went as a girlfriends getaway. We stayed in a suite and paid $199.00 a night plus tax for Monday and Tuesday nights. I agree with a lot of the other comments that the lobby and casino are very trendy. I have stayed at all the upscale hotels in Vegas and would compare this one to a cross between the Bellagio and the Palazzo as far as the decor in the casino area. They have a lot of glass art around the main floor that reminds me of the lobby in the Bellagio. They have a few curtain type hangings from the ceiling also, but nothing like you see at the Bellagio, Wynn or Encore. That is why I mention the Palazzo as it doesn't have all the drapes and glass you see at Bellagio, Wynn and Encore.

The rooms aren't too bad. I would somewhat agree on the updates, but the hotel is only six years old and I think it is just the style of the furniture that makes it look to some that it is outdated. You can tell the couch and chair were probably expensive when purchased, just a different style than most people are use to. The beds were nice but the pillows are stiff. The bathroom is pretty large feels like a Vegas bathroom. I must say the towels were big and soft compared to most hotel towels. I know some people complained about the TV and it would make the room seem more updated if they went to a flat screen.

My friend that I was traveling with made herself some coffee the first morning we were there. The coffee maker is in the same area as the TV and is on one side of stand. She left that side open so the maids could see she had open a package of coffee and used the maker. To our surprise it was never cleaned and closed back up. It was the same as she had left it so she had to clean it out herself the next morning before using it again.

We ate breakfast at the buffet in Borgata and it was the best I've had in a long time. Everything we ate was excellent. The cost is $14.95. We went around eight in the morning and were seated right away. It's nothing like Vegas where there is always a wait. There were hardly any people in there. In fact, throughout the whole stay there never seemed to be that many people. Seemed kind of sad when they have such a nice hotel. There were quite of few more people at night in the casino area.

The Water Club hotel is right next to the Borgata and you can access it through a hallway that is lined with some upscale shops. Seems a lot like the Wynn and Encore, which are attached the same way.

We had rented a car so we drove down to the boardwalk and went into every hotel in AC just to see what they were like. A male friend of mine had told me when he went to AC three years ago that the Trump hotels seem to be well kept up. I totally agree with him. Most are old but not as run down like the ones in downtown Vegas, Laughlin, or Reno. I also found I lost money in every hotel except the Trump ones. Not sure why that happen.

Parking is $5.00 at just about every hotel. But, they give you a slip if you ask and then you can park at another casino for free. Once you pay at the Borgata you can go in and out all day if you are staying at the hotel but you will have to pay another $5.00 the next day.

We did drive around the town and found the outlet shops right behind Caesar's which cover quite few blocks to be very nice. The areas behind the north and south casinos are very, very run down. I wouldn't want to walk around there at night.

This was my first trip to AC and I would go back but not for a few years. It's just not the same as Vegas. They are building another new hotel on the boardwalk so maybe when that one is done I'd go back. I heard they had plans for three more but are put on hold for now. If they did that they may get more people going there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Not on the boardwalk, which is perfectly fine! A beautiful and elegant facility. Much nicer than the boardwalk hotels. Great restaurants, spa, casino, entertainment.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2009

This is truly one of the only luxury hotels in Atlantic City - aside from the new Water Club. Upon entry everything from the valet service and the front desk associates to the layout of the hotel and it's cleanliness puts The Borgata into a class of it's own. The staff is not only friendly but is overly helpful and accommodating. The hotel clearly caters to a younger crowd and has every amenity you could possibly dream of. We stayed in a king sized room overlooking the new Water Club and Harrah's and it was beautiful. We visited the spa, the pool, the casino and several restaurants and found everything to be top notch. The food was excellent and we would never stay anywhere else in AC again other than The Borgata. The one complaint we had was that the air conditioning wasn't working very well which made it a little difficult to get comfortable when sleeping.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2009

when i asked people where to stay during my first trip to AC, everyone told me - "definitely the borgata!" so, between that and the sheraton, i decided to give it a shot mostly because i'm allergic to pets, and the sheraton is pet friendly.

simply put, this is a hotel that strives to be trendy and compete with vegas-quality standards, but is seriously lacking. the main floor is great, but when it comes to the rooms, it's almost laughable.

pros: friendly service, pretty main floor, good security at the elevators, comfortable bed, thermostat that for once isn't finicky, towels are awesome!

cons: rooms are INCREDIBLY outdated. for a hotel that touts itself as being modern and trendy, i was surprised - CD player on the nightstand (really?! didn't know it was 1999), tube TV, and wired internet w/ a cord only about 2 ft long, thereby forcing me to write this review whilst sitting about 5 inches from the wall. also, no robe (which i feel like is a standard nowadays). bathroom sink is completley clogged (takes about 5-10 mins to drain), and shower smells like BO after a few minutes (and i know it's not coming from me!). i think the clogged sink is the worst offense though. certain maintenance issues like that shouldn't even BE an issue in the first place.

but, all in all the room was cheap ($99/night) so can't complain about that. i should also note i travel a lot for business and therefore see many types of rooms, but i was sorely disappointed here. i should additionally note that i just got back from vegas and stayed at The Encore, so in all fairness ANY hotel after that will pale in comparison!

Borgata tried, but there are some serious misses with this hotel. this hotel doesn't even compete with average-joe hotels. i'll take my marriott and starwood points over this place please!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2009

We decided to make a weekend out of it so we drove to Atlantic City from Washington, D.C. Because of all the talk we decided to stay at the Borgata. The rate was an astronomical $397 a night ! Let me say that I have stayed at the best hotels in Europe, Turkey, Virgin Islands, Las Vegas, and Tahiti and this hotel is an absolute rip-off. I will begin first by stating the good points of the hotel. The only good point is the lobby of the casino. It is very modern, nice, and a cheaper imitation of the Wynn Las Vegas Casino.

The problem I had with this hotel was the rooms. Now keep in mind the rate is $397. The rooms are outdated with really cheap furniture. There is no flat screen tv, but instead its this outdated "motel 6" style television set. The mattress is uncomfortable and the carpets need to be cleaned. The bathroom is so uninspiring from the cheap soap and shampoo they utilized to their awful towels. The overall ambiance and decor of the room is fitting of a room at a rate of $199 per night.

The staff is not very friendly and when asked whether I enjoyed my stay, I responded "no" to which they ignored me all together. I asked for a late check out since my wife was feeling a bit ill and they not only didn't give me a late check out but they actually moved my checkout out earlier than what they told me at the front desk when I first checked into the hotel!

The Izakaya restaurant was horrible. The food was extremely salty and we had to return our dish twice before we finally decided to order sushi. And even the sushi took 50 minutes to make at which point we just decided to leave the restaurant.

The hotel indoor pool is very uninspiring as well. Cheap plastic seats by the pool and I even tripped on a plastic chair that had been left in the jacuzzi.

The lunch buffet is okay at best if you like pizza and macaroni.

My recommendation is to stay at the Chairman's tower in Trump Taj Mahal. Half the price and twice the positive experience.

Avoid the Borgata!