“Save your money”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
“Save your money”
Reviewed August 27, 2005

I stayed at this place on 8/28. They charged my credit card at the time of the reservation and tried to charge it again at check out. To top that off, they tried to charge me at a higher rate. Got dinner at the Ombre on Sat night. All I can say is save your money. The food was average at best, and the service was horrible. Our waitress forgot to bring us our drinks, and once we ordered wine our wine glasses remained empty for long periods of time. It also took over 2 hours to get our main entrees. As for the pool - its inside, but if you want some sun, you can put a chair out on the concrete outside. The cocktail waitresses were unpleasant, and couldn't be bothered to take an order. Rather, they hung out and chatted with the bartenders. This place may look nice but they treat their guests horribly. My husband and I dropped a ton of money here, and will never go back again. The one thing I can say is that the spa is awesome. That is the only good thing about this entire hotel.

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 22, 2005

First let me say, the lobby is fantastic! I loved the marble throughout, the subdued lighting throughout the hotel, casino, rooms. Everything was clean, casino bathrooms, beautiful oakwood throughout. The Casino very, very large and easy accessibility to the restaurants, bars, etc. I was treated to the Spa (Swedish massage) highly recommended. I can't say enough. I wanted to stay longer. Everything ran smoothly! I enjoyed the restaurant Metropolitan you get alot of food for your money. The drinks excellent. The buffet at the restaurant was also fantastic. I recommend it very much. Thank you, I will definitely come back. I think the hotel is situated very nice and near the other higher end hotels (Marina and Harrah's).

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 21, 2005

Contrary to some opinions check in at the Borgata was good.
We arrived at 11:00PM . Our room was not ready so the desk clerk gave us $50.00 comp at the bar , which I thought was more than fair. It bought us
3 drinks and we left the rest as a tip.
The room was facing the city and the ocean. The veiw from the 36th floor was excellent. You could see all the lights.
The gambling and the crowd was fair. Not enough low bet tables. I don't mind betting $200.00 or more per hand on blackjack but I want it to be my option.
Not much vibe at any of the tables.
The spa was nice but they have no outdoor pool with is kind of strange.
The food was above par. We ate at the Old Homestead and the prices were
reasonable for what you got. The other resturants were good but the lines
were very long.
There were not enough bars only 2 and 1 nightclub. The smoke in the three places was unbearable . They should have more places to go since you are a captive audience, because you are so far from the boardwalk and the other hotels. You just can't walk out and go somewhere else.
Check out was quick and the valet service for the car was quick but Just make sure you leave before 11:00AM otherwise it can get crowded.
Overall it was a OK trip.
I think I would rather stay at the new Trop or Bally's or Caesar's Palace

Stayed August 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at the Borgata. Overall, it is nice and very clean. We checked in at 7:45 P.M. It was a Wednesday night so we didn't expect large crowds. Check-in was pretty simple. We really didn't have too long to wait in line. When we got to the counter, our reservations were for a SMOKING floor, (we made the reservations two weeks prior), we did not request a smoking floor. And strangely enough, It was almost like she acted like she was doing US a favor by putting us in a different room. Unfortunately, we got the 4th floor, views of the casino roof and the Trump Marina. We paid for our room, as my husband and I are not big gamblers.
Anyway the room was very nice, although for a casino that is 2 years old, one should not expect the wear and tear the room had. The bathroom wallpaper was peeling in the toilet area. But that didn't matter much- the bathroom was very very nice. Granite countertops, the shower was beautiful. The towels were hard, but nice quality. The actual room was pretty nice. The bed was comfortable and I liked that the sheets were white. They basically layer a bunch of white sheets and a little white quilt- maybe a little duvet cover? I wasn't sure what the top layer was. But it felt very clean. The casino floor was pretty nice. The slots didn't pay very well. And the blackjack tables were very crowded. And if you can bear the smoke cloud from the people at the top of the escalator dying for their cigarette/cigar because they can't smoke at the poker tables, you should take a little trip down the escalator to the poker floor. very nice. The shops were typical casino shops. Unfortunately we wanted to see the comedy show and there was no show the night we wanted to see it. We had dinner at Suilan which was phenomenal- and we eat out alot. Expensive though. The pool area was much nicer than I had imagined. I took a picture of it because I wish I would have seen a picture of the pool on tripadvisor before I went. Anyway, one problem for me was the amount of kids in the pool. And at the hotel in general. Maybe I am delusional, but I was really mad that people brought their kids to a casino! I was tripping over strollers all over the hotel especially in the elevators. That really bothered me. My husband and I left our little babies at home to escape the 'kid thing', little did I know that there would be alot of kids at the Borgata. And one in particular that decided to scream for about 10 minutes outside our door at 9am the next morning. Anyway, there is an area outside the pool area for lounge chairs and that was very crowded. On the same floor was the gym. My husband was really mad that he had to pay 10 dollars to actually USE it! What a load of crap!

Parking was 5 dollars and what they don't tell you is that if you leave and return to the hotel once in the same day you don't have to pay twice- get a transfer. The nice people at the Tropicana told us that when we bought tickets to their comedy show (which was pretty funny!) and then returned. We asked if we could have done that when we returned to the Borgata and they said we could have. dang!

We had breakfast buffet which was 14 bucks a head. Not bad- the restaurant is very nice. The booths are cozy. The food was pretty good. Our waiter seemed very busy but handled our drink orders pretty well.

Overall it was a very nice hotel. The service left much to be desired. I don't know where these people get off treating you the way they do. They seem miserable. Every single person that worked there that I encountered seemed pretty rude. Our remote control batteries went dead and when I called housekeeping they seemed annoyed. The service was not that good. And please I beg you- leave the kids at home. Like the comedian at the comedy club joked- "what is it with all the kids in Atlantic city casinos? You don't see me bringing any hookers to Disneyworld, do you?"
hahaha.
Anyway, nice place to visit and it served its purpose for us.

22 Thank missphilly
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I stayed at the Borgata about 2 times this year, and gambled maybe 6 times. I spent over $13,000, and still have to argue with a front desk person about getting a free room. How much do you have to spend to get a comp? I have 6 other friends that spend as much as I do, and it seems a bit ridiculous to charge such customers $500 a night, and not just that, to have the nurve to lie and say the hotel is sold out, and at the same time, offer the rooms on their website as available. It might be clean, smells good, pure oxygen pumping throughout the casino, but hell, if they don't want my money, I'm going somewhere like the tropicana that has the same energy as the borgata. Who cares if the rooms are a bit older, how much time do you spend in the room. I had the best time at the tropicana drinking martini's at the piano bar not caring I just lost a couple of grand.

The borgata, you got to see the ridiculous setup they have for sunbathing. They layed out a bunch of lawn chairs on their lawn. No pool outside. You really do feel like your in someone's backyard. Not to mention all the little tiniboppers strolling troughout the casino all drunk. That place needs to be boarded up.

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed August 15, 2005

Last October I went to AC and stayed at the the Borgata. Great casino, great poker room and great room. I just went to AC again and stayed at the Trop on the boardwalk because my wife wanted to go to the beach. We stayed in the new Havana Tower which is their answer to the Borgata ....wrong. Not even close. I am returnig for a poker tournament at the Taj Mahal in late September. I will be staying at the Borgata and looking forward to it. It is the only place to stay in AC in my opinion.

If you are considering staying at the Trop in the new Havana towers instead of the Borgata, don't even think about it.

• Stayed October 2004
2 Thank SCSTWG
Waldwick, New Jersey
Reviewed August 15, 2005

As you enter the lobby of the Borgata, you forget that dirty, run down Atlantic City is behind you. It is so clean, smells so new. There's a long line to check in but honestly, that's with most hotels in AC/Vegas. As modern as they are with a paperless pay out system, why don't they just add electronic check-in stations?

Their website is also very amateur. I think they need to doll it up and create more excitement on it. It looks like a child designed it. I would love to see more pictures, include links to artists websites, etc.

The Gypsy Bar is great...try the nachos!!!

The rooms are beyond description. Marble countertops and glass shower doors on top of the incredible cleanliness of the room. Everything still feels and looks so new there. The beds are SO comfortable too!!!

The people who are looking for Vegas service should go to Vegas. I'm not sure what you are expecting out of New Jersey but get real people...this place is beautiful.

Lastly, my only true negative comment...you have this AMAZING hotel, a great casino, wonderful rooms, a very modern and impressive spa/gym...and then there's this regular, boring pool. First, shouldn't there be an outdoor one for summer months? Second...it looks like the pool in my friend's backyard...why not swim up bar? How come there's no cool or different design to the pool?

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business