“Great service...what's with the pool?”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Waldwick, New Jersey
“Great service...what's with the pool?”
Reviewed August 15, 2005

As you enter the lobby of the Borgata, you forget that dirty, run down Atlantic City is behind you. It is so clean, smells so new. There's a long line to check in but honestly, that's with most hotels in AC/Vegas. As modern as they are with a paperless pay out system, why don't they just add electronic check-in stations?

Their website is also very amateur. I think they need to doll it up and create more excitement on it. It looks like a child designed it. I would love to see more pictures, include links to artists websites, etc.

The Gypsy Bar is great...try the nachos!!!

The rooms are beyond description. Marble countertops and glass shower doors on top of the incredible cleanliness of the room. Everything still feels and looks so new there. The beds are SO comfortable too!!!

The people who are looking for Vegas service should go to Vegas. I'm not sure what you are expecting out of New Jersey but get real people...this place is beautiful.

Lastly, my only true negative comment...you have this AMAZING hotel, a great casino, wonderful rooms, a very modern and impressive spa/gym...and then there's this regular, boring pool. First, shouldn't there be an outdoor one for summer months? Second...it looks like the pool in my friend's backyard...why not swim up bar? How come there's no cool or different design to the pool?

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
10 Thank surreal6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2005

From the moment you walk into The Borgata you feel like royalty. From the breathtaking lobby to the smallest detail, The Borgata is the epitomy of elegance. The rooms are beautifully decorated and equipped with everything from herb teas to nail files. The room service took a bit longer than I had anticipated, but the quality of the food was well worth the wait. The service and attentivness was equally phenomenal at the Homestead Restaraunt where we dined on another occasion. After dinner we chose to enjoy a cocktail at The B Bar where the staff treated us like old friends. The atmosphere was light and very enjoyable. Out of the numerous hotels in A.C. The Borgata is truly a resort worth staying at.

Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 12, 2005

Borgata really knows how to do it!! We stayed for one night and decided to splurge and get a suite. It was amazing! We checked in around 4. Line wasn't too bad...We waited about 10 minutes. The staff was very cordial. I am an absolute neat freak so I was thrilled to see that the room was sparkling clean. We had a wonderful view of the city. The floor to ceiling windows really make the room! The bathroom is very luxurious (and also very clean). What else can I say....If you want to do AC right, stay at the Borgata. The class of people is much better than the boardwalk hotels. It is worth every dollar you spend.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NYNY
Reviewed August 10, 2005

To rate this hotel #1 in AC is a joke. I went to see a concert in April and stayed overnight. The staff was VERY rude and unorganized.

First of all I made my reservation months in advance. They actually charged my credit card the entire cost of the room at that time. Not a huge deal but it I was a bit concerned. That has never happened to me ever at any hotel.

Check in was a mess I reserved 2 beds for me and my friend, I explained this to the front desk person who was obviously new and had no idea what she was doing. We get to the room guess what a king! It took awhile to fix this problem.

You can not charge anything to your room from the gift shop.

Room service was bad and the person who brought it was extremely rude and a bit scary. I was glad I was not alone when this guy showed up.
I travel a lot and this place was like a nice hotel wanna be. It looks nice but it has lousy service.

The rooms were pretty and the bathroom was nice. Other hotels in AC have nice rooms too though.

I liked the casino. The paper system is great. I went to vegas earlier this year and it has caught on there too. I am guessing that other casinos in AC have the paperless system too.

If you want a nice room and to be treated badly stay here.

Stayed April 2005
10 Thank Babymakes3
Princeton, NJ
Reviewed August 7, 2005

The Borgata touts itself as a luxury hotel. Last year I went and loved it - so much that I was really looking forward to returning. It is the only time I've been able to relax in a big beautiful steamy bath since having my 2 kids- there is no such thing as privacy in my house.

So we get there. The luxury room had a smelly mini-refrigerator. The door lock was broken off (the extra one at the similar to the old chain locks). The bathroom outlet was broken...worse of all, the tub didn't hold water - my visions of steamy bubbles went down the drain.

3 Thank angarone
Oyster Bay, NY
Reviewed August 7, 2005

that isn't saying much and it is quite expensive. I would give the hotel a 5 point rating if it weren't for the price. But, when you compare it to other AC hotels, the Borgata is definitely a 5 pointer.

There is no obvious reason that prices should be so high in AC, since all the hotels make a killing on gambling revenues. But after spending one night here and one night in Bally's, I see: a) why the Borgata is off the boardwalk, b) why they charge so much for a room, and c) why they keep their minimum stakes somewhat high. I think they are trying to keep their casino free of the trashier elements found in the boardwalk casinos. I'm not a big gambler so I found the whole experience to be a big rip off. But, if you are into gambling and you do not want the annoyance found in the boardwalk casinos, then definitely spend the extra $ for the Borgata. From what I understand, they are also fairly easy going with their comps, so it may be quite easy to get a free room here.

That said, the rooms were super clean and were pretty. The aesthetic of the hotel is simpler and more elegant than other AC hotels. Also, the shampoos and soaps were high quality.

The food is expensive, buffet breakfast: $14, dinner $28, and the quality is reasonable. We ate at odd times, so we had no lines. Service was a bit spotty as we seemed to be forgotten with drink refills and such.

I treated my wife to a swedish massage at the spa. It was reasonably priced at $115+gratuity for 50 minutes--about the same price that you would pay in Manhattan. She said it was luxurious and well worth it.

The pool and hot tub area were nice, and they were relatively empty in the morning. One very annoying thing about the Borgata is that they charge $10 to use the gym. It looks nice, but by principle I cannot pay to use a hotel gym where I am paying to stay. I have heard that if you have a spa reservation, you get to use the gym for free, but I never confirmed it myself.

Self-parking is a one-time $5 fee. The most annoying thing about it was that there were no signs advertising the fees as you drove in, leaving the impression that parking is free.

Finally the gambling...well its gambling. The casino floor is not too busy, but if you want to be at the $10 min tables, you may have to wait a long time, especially for blackjack. At the next highest, $15, we always found a free spot. There were more than enough slot machines, I would guess that only one in twenty to twenty-five were occupied.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank songfire
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed July 21, 2005

My wife and I atayed at the Borgata for the Last friday july 15th. We left the 2 boys at home and made a night of it. Our check in (@ 2:30 pm) was easy and were offered views of the city or marina and also chose the floor level. We picked the marina view on the 30th floor and were not dissapointed except that the trump marina needs facelift. We went through the indoor pool area and sat outside on the Laise chairs and ordered cocktails and read magazines. After a great shower in a huge bathroom we gambled before dinner at Sulian run by susanna foo. The food was great and the price is reasonable for a top notch rest. in AC. Two people with a bottle of wine $180.00 including 3 courses. The whole experience was fantastic. Paid 300+taxes. Will definatley do it again....

• Stayed July 2005