“Great weekend retreat”

Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed March 8, 2005

We spent the past weekend at the Borgata for our anniversary and had an incredible time. I would suggest making dinner or spa reservations before leaving for AC because most of the restaurants that required reservations were fully booked two days past our departure date. The Borgata is separate from the other casinos, which is good or bad depending on whether or not you like to gamble in different places. The only restaurant I would not suggest is N.O.W. because the average wait time vs. the quality of the food is not worth it. All of the other bars and restaurants were fantastic. It is pricey, but worth every penny for the best hotel and casino in AC.

• Stayed: March 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

A TripAdvisor Member
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 1, 2005

My Husband and I just got back from our first stay at the Borgata. We have been to top Las Vegas hotels and The Borgata rates right up there. The Classic Room was very large, especially the bathroom....the shower was large and wonderful. The service was excellent, the restaurants were wonderful and the slots were fun and somewhat loose. The only complaint was that even though you were a hotel guest you had to pay to valet park your car!! We were very pleased with the comps and can't wait to go back to the Borgata!!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 27, 2005

I am reading all the negative replies and am shocked! We have stayed at the Borgata at least 20 or more times since it opened. It is the cleanest, most luxurious hotel in Atlantic City. There are many, many regulars that often stay there. The casino hosts and staff know many guests by first name and never forget you. Generally, my hubby is the one that plays - I go down with him when we don't have the kids (about 3 times a year), but they even remember me (by first name)! The entire stay usually goes picture perfect. The comps are FANTASTIC - they do in fact get better and better. When our contact knows we are coming alone, he makes extra special arrangements for my husband and I to enjoy our night away from children. When we bring our 4 girls with us, he also goes out of his way to make sure that the kids and I have a terrific time! We never wait in line to check in. When we get to our room, a crib awaits us along with baskets of goodies for the kids. They have even picked us up in MD twice by limo, both times arriving very early to the house - very punctual. I am a compulsive when it comes to cleanliness and I will only stay at the Borgata in AC because they care so much about their hotel and ensure that every aspect is clean.

We often eat at the buffet when we have the kids - - it's probably the best buffet that we've been to (we go to Vegas a lot too so I'm comparing to just about most buffets). Their steak house is to die for - anything you order will melt in your mouth. Their spa is wonderful too.

The only thing that could be improved upon (and is, in fact) is their pool - - it's small and it is cold. When I had my hair done there last, the staff told me that they are building an additional tower and adding a great outdoor pool. Even though they discourage kids to visit, I am soooo happy about this! I love to CLEAN my house before we leave for a weekend -- it's a great home away from home and the kids always enjoy going.

6  Thank thetoyfamily
Reviewed February 26, 2005

Arrived at 2 p.m for check-in. As I had anticipated based upon previous reviews, there was a bit of a line. However, we were able to check in within 15 minutes. Our room was clean and comfortable. One thing we appreciated was that there was no bed-spread (otherwise known as "top-blanket that never gets laundered"). 35th floor view of the harbor was very nice.

Room service of surf and turf was disappointing. The lobster tails were mushy -- giving me and my wife the impression the lobster had been dead for weeks... (not fresh)

Casino was hopping on this Saturday night. Won at blackjack, 4-card poker, and Caribbean Stud. It was nice to have a free room and take money from the casino.

Comedy show was entertaining. I purchased tickets thru Ticketmaster and was assigned specific seats. Upon entering the showroom we were told that there was not assigned seating. Misleading -- they should fix that.

If you want to play lower limit table games, go to another casino. At 1 a.m. it was difficult to even get a seat at a $50 minimum blackjack table. Lotsa annoying accents and yellow gold on the fingers and faces of New Yorkers/Northern Jerseyites. Even though the rooms are pricey, you still get the typical A.C. crowd.

9  Thank PeterCyr
Reviewed February 20, 2005

At the end of my stay at the Borgata, I was in the bathroom shaving and I looked to the left and noticed a sign that stated if you take something from this hotel we will charge you for it. This about summed up the attitude of the Borgata. Most luxury hotels treat you like they are absolutely delighted to have you staying there. The Borgata treats you like you should feel priveleged to have been allowed to use their facilities. It is a beautiful hotel, but the beauty is only skin deep. Underneath is a truly ugly attitude.

I travel extensively and have stayed in many luxury hotels as well as high end casinos, and I have to say that the customer service at the Borgata is among the worst I have ever encountered. I went here truly wanting to like this place and went away vowing to never come back. Most of the staff was surly and unhelpful. The dealers were unfriendly and the waitstaff was hassled and distracted at best. Every aspect of this hotel, from the gift shops to the restaurants to the bars to the casino was handled wrong.

Some things to consider.

-- Everything in this hotel - from a bottle of coke to a restaurant meal - is priced about 25% higher than the other casinos in Atlantic City. That would be OK if it was delivering 25% more service, but it actually doesn't match any of the other AC hotels I have stayed in. Be prepared to spend a lot more than you expected to.

-- Make sure you apply your comps before you leave. Most casino's automatically apply your comp balance to your final hotel bill, assuming quite correctly that you don't wish to save them when you have the points to spend now. The Borgata makes you physically go down to the desk and ask to apply comps, presumably hoping you will forget and they will collect both the money you spent and your unspent comps.

-- Free drinks are much harder to get here than most casinos. We played Blackjack for several hours and there was one coctail waitress for about 30 blackjack tables who came by about once an hour to get a drink order. And forget about getting a drink at most of the slots. I assume this is to force you to go to one of their bars and buy the drinks instead.

-- Don't expect help from the dealers at this casino. Of the Blackjack dealers we had, several couldn't speak much English and several others simply refused to interact much with the table at all. To be fair, there were a couple good dealers as well, but they were not the majority.

-- For those not familiar with Atlantic City, keep in mind that the Borgata is at the Marina and not on the Boardwalk or near the beach. If you are just going to gamble, this is no big deal (though I would recommend either Harrahs or Trump over the Borgata if that's the case). If you want to have the boardwalk experience, this is not the place to stay.

I hope this helps.

21  Thank JMoyer
Reviewed February 19, 2005

We have stayed at the Borgata 5-6 times, the most recent being Feb. 17, 2005. We were able to check in early at 2PM which was a first for us. The staff is somewhat aloof, although check in and check out are efficient. We have never been disappointed in the rooms here and they are so much better than the other casinos in Atlantic City. I am a clean freak and the rooms have always been spotless. I was amazed that there was not one stain on the light colored carpet and no scuff marks on the furniture or walls. The marble bathroom also looked very well maintained and clean.

The white European linens are immaculate, crisp and comfortable and they use a second damask top sheet instead of a bedspread. I much prefer this as hotel bedspreads are often nasty. We have always found room service to be excellent, and this time was no exception. The food is always hot and fresh and the table is beautifully presented with folded napkins and china. I am always amazed that the coffee is piping hot and fresh tasting. We have ordered soups, burgers and fries, belgium waffles with strawberries, muffins, omelettes, etc. and have always been extremely satisfied. In fact, it only costs a few dollars more overall than the Metropolitan restaurant but it avoids waiting in line, is more relaxing and the food is just as good. They have never made a mistake all the times we used room service.

I usually book a spa treatment and this time had an 80 minute swedish massage which was excellent. I have generally found the spa personel to be professional, detail oriented, accomodating and with a nice demeanor. Only one time on a prior visit was the treatment less than stellar. The spa area is gorgeous and extremely well maintained. There are tumbled stone shower stalls, marble waiting areas, compimentary fruit and juices, and an immaculate locker room with all the toiletries you need. The robes they provide are in excellent condition and they are very quick to clean the shower areas right after it is used. My only complaint at the Borgata is the cheap comps. Unless you are a high roller, which we are not, the comps are minimal to nonexistant. After losing about $500 at the tables, I did not earn even one dollar in comps. I even questioned this and they told me it was correct. For the same play at Mohegan Sun I would have earned at least enough for a lunch and Mohegan Sun always sends me coupons for cheaper rooms and some free food or stuff.

Also, at Borgata it is also usually hard to find blackjack tables and craps for less than $25. For some reason this time I actually saw a $5 table and a bunch of $10 tables. If the hotel and atmosphere itself were not so much better than the other options in Atlantic City we would go elsewhere for better comps.

11  Thank FanaticTripPlanner
Reviewed February 16, 2005

Very pretty building, but abysmal service made our stay unpleasant. Staff seems to take delight in showing disdain for those who are not familiar with the way "they" do it, whether "they" do it right or not. Case in point: in one of the restaurants, I showed my room key to the cashier to pay. "What dat for?" It's my room key; I am charging it to my room. "Dat don't mean nuthin' to me. I need to see ID."

Service? Do they know what that means? WHen I called and asked for an extra pillow, I was told they were not giving extra pillows. Whaat? When I asked if "this is supposed to be a world class resort," the attendant solemnly averred that, "Of course it is," with no sense of irony.

From front desk all the way around, these people have a lot to learn. I give it a 2.

9  Thank PAGuy65