“Hated the Borgata”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed January 17, 2005

I had the most horrible vacation imaginable at the Borgata Hotel and Casino. First of all, when we checked into our room it was dirty, there was hair and cigarette ash on the floor, we had to call room service to get it cleaned. Later on into the night at approximately 2 a.m, when my husband and I were returning to our room, the security guard, stopped us and told my husband that I was not allowed to go up to the room with him because, while my husband had a pass I did not. The couple right before us who also had one pass with them were not given a hard time, but he choose to give my husband and I a hard time. The only explanation that I can come up with is that my husband is white and I am black. The couple before us were both white and we are a mixed couple. He indicated to my husband that I must be a prostitute
that he had met in the casino, but he will give him a break this time. That was when my husband lost it and told him that he was a racist and a biggot and informed him that I was not his girfriend or lover but indeed his wife. This guy acted like he did not even believe my husband even though at that point he was beginning to back down. Angry and frustrated I went back to the hotel room and called the hotel manager, at first he tried to defend the guards actions, but when I pointed out that the white couple in front of us were not given a hard time, he backed down and said that he would address it immediately. The manager never even called back to apologize. Needles to say, the next day we checked out. Please choose another hotel over the Borgata, there are plenty of nice hotels in Atlantic City.

34  Thank PhiladelphiaRuthie
Write a ReviewReviews (3,990)

Reviewed January 12, 2005

Been to the borgata 5x and stayed overnight 4 of them. I've never stayed in a different room other than the standard room and never had any problems. I read alot of reviews about a towel being left behind a chair or things along those lines but seriously, is that grounds to give them a poor rating and complain/demand restitution. It seems some people will always find something to complain about. I'm 30+ years old and always have a good time there.

Checkin is always a little bit of a hassle. Long lines but goes as quick as it can 20 minutes on the average. I usually just go up to the black card line and pretend I didn't know. Sometimes they point me to the other line but sometimes they'll take you. I wouldn't suggest Valet, that can take you 20-30 minutes sometimes. I just park myself. Been to Homestead twice. First dinner was great, best crab cake appetizer I ever had. Second dinner I didn't make a reservation and it took forever to get seated. Can't blame anybody but myself. Don't go to Homestead if you think you're going to be in & out in an hour. Ate at Spechio's once, dinner was good with no problems at all. Dinner pace was perfect because I wanted to get back to the gaming. Always have a drink or two in Gypsy Bar. They usually have great bands and a good crowd. Good place to have a burger and some beers too. They also have some of the best tequilla around. Had the dinner buffet one night, didn't think too much of it but I don't care for buffets overall. It filled me up which is exactly what I needed. Tried to go into the club MIXX one night but the line was long. Grew impatient and gave up.

As far as gambling goes, sometimes it's so crowded you can't even find a seat on a $25 BJ table. Most BJ tables have the automated shuffler so there's no time to take a break but there are some that the dealer has to shuffle themselves. Sometimes it's best to just wait on an empty table and ask when it will be opened. Craps are usually high minimums on weekends ($25). Sometimes you can find a $10 but it's packed. Had some success on slots. Hit 777s on $1 slot and won 1k.

Basically, Borgata is a great place. They give you alot of options. It's your decision to take advantage of them & have a great time or be the type of person that needs their hand held & demand perfection only to be dissapointed.

• Stayed: January 2005
7  Thank EDDIE
A TripAdvisor Member
Berwick, PA
Reviewed January 7, 2005

My Husband and I recently spent one night at the Borgata. Although we have stopped at various casinos in Atlantic City for a few hours here and there, this was our first overnight trip. And I was not disappointed.
My husband and I were looking for a night to relax after the hectic Holiday Season and a short break from our 2 beautiful daughters. We decided upon the Borgata because it is fairly new and received pretty good reviews.
We booked the 'up all night' package, which included one night's stay in the their King Classic Room, two tickets to their comedy club, and two drinks at their bar.
The room was great! It was very clean and new feeling. The bed and pillows were crisp, clean, and comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful and very accomodating with a marble shower for two.
The comedy club was enjoyable, althought I am not sure I would pay $20 a ticket, if they weren't included in our stay.
The casino itself was clean and less smokey than others I have been in. This may have been because it was not overly crowded. I can't say much about the gambling. We played nickle and quarter slots only.
We ate at the small cafe for lunch. It was very good. And we ate dinner at The Metropolatin (sp?). My husband and I both enjoyed our dinners. For breakfast, we ate at the Breakfast Buffet. I, personally, am not a big buffet person and it was almost $14 per person. That said, I thought it was really GOOD. It was clean and did not smell like most buffets do. And the selection was extensive.
But the best part of the trip was our appointment at the Spa. We scheduled a couple's massage. It was EXCELLENT. Their spa is second to none. The locker room alone was quite impressive. My husband and I enjoyed side by side massages (I would only give my massage technician 3 out 5 stars on his technique.) But my husband said his was fabulous. After our massage we got to spend some time alone in the massage suite which was very relaxing. It had a bathroom, small kitchenette, living room with a fireplace, and an awesome jacuzzi.
It was definitely a 5 star experience and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2005

This review comes from a thirty-five year old recreational gambler who appreciates upgraded amenities. With all due respect Atlantic City was the last place on my list of places to visit. I was told that the Borgata was the only nice place to stay and play in AC. After my girlfriend told me we had to visit her parents in MD for Xmas, the light went off in my head. A day of holiday gambling in AC is only 3.5 hours drive away!? Still not so excited I booked a basic room dinner at Speccio and a comedy show. Upon arrival it became very evident that corners were not cut anywhere. Not having to drag luggage through the casino floor too very fine dinning to a private guest lobby/living room art throughout and contemporary furnishings this place has style and class. I prefer it to Mandalay Bay in Vegas by far. Warning: This place gets busy so book dinner shows services and rooms in advance. The gamming floor is quite busy so plan on waiting for a seat at the tables unless your regular action is $25 per hand or higher.

• Stayed: December 2004
7  Thank coffeebeans101
Reviewed January 2, 2005

My fiancée and I recently stayed for one-night at The Borgata. We were very, very impressed with the hotel, but not with the gambling options. This is by far the nicest hotel in Atlantic City. Our hotel room was immaculate and we had a great view of the City from the 26th floor. Everything was new and in excellent condition. The bathroom was very spacious and actually had two doors so someone could use the sink and shower while another person could use the toilet at the same time. There were a number of over-sized towels available as well. The king-sized bed was very comfortable. We checked in at a peak time (around 2:30 pm) and only had about a 10-minute wait. Everyone we dealt with at the hotel was very courteous. I had a few questions days before I arrived at the hotel. A manager by the name of Michael Facenda gave me very useful information about the hotel and transportation arrangements. We also went swimming and soaked in the hot tubs at the pool atrium, which was beautifully decorated in a tropical setting. It only took a few minutes to sign up for a Rewards card. The Borgata does have its imperfections though. Although the casino is huge, while we were there, including a slow Monday morning, there were only one or two 5-dollar Blackjack tables available. Only a few more were 10-dollar tables. When we went to play Blackjack on a Sunday evening, only one 5-dollar table and just two 15-dollar tables were available. Crowds were huddled around those tables waiting for a spot to play. Every other Blackjack table in the casino was a 25, 50, or 100-dollar minimum. That’s ridiculous and a turn-off to responsible, recreational, “low-rollers” like myself who want to play for a fun and a small amount of money. I loved the Borgata and will definitely return. However, unless there are lower minimum Blackjack tables available, next time I might have to take a $1.50 jitney to another casino that caters to recreational, low-rollers even though I did win $145.00 on my first visit to The Borgata.

6  Thank marc1976
A TripAdvisor Member
nj
Reviewed December 31, 2004

I'll never go back to the Borgata for New Year's... or any other holiday. The restaurants were jammed...lines were incredible... options were limited because not everything was open... and the food wasnt good. My husband ordered a steak medium rare.. and was served a dried-out piece of gray shoe leather. I ordered a reuben.. and was disappointed to discover they forgot the Russian dressing. Comps were skimpy... and the slot dollars I thought I had earned were nowhere to be found when I started playing.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2004

I've been going to the Borgata since they opened mainly from May til October, slept there about 25 times. At first this hotel was top value, super plush. I loved being there, never wanted to leave. The rooms were super clean and the elegance was superb. The slot seats were new, and now worn. The casino is beginning to take on the smell of smoke. The standard room needs a little more attention. Last time I stayed, there were 2 dirty towels left in my bathroom, and the carpets are worn and stained. They changed my favorite tea, I think for something cheaper. The long lines for the buffet are getting unbearable, the food is very good there, and the food and service at the Metropolitan is bad. Oh and I'm never going back to that Starbucks, I've been there four times different weeks, and staff is just rude and unattentive. The slot play is alright, not too loose, and I like to play on the tables when the min. isnt $25. The comps are very good. I'll probably go back next summer, hopefully their issues will have been improved on.

• Stayed: June 2004