“Beware of bad service....”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
forest hills
“Beware of bad service....”
Reviewed September 2, 2004

I just got back form my stay at the borgata for 2 nights and i must say most of these reviews are right on target. I must say the hotel itself is beautiful, it reminds me of a cross between the bellagio (blown glass) mandalay bay and the hotel at mandalay bay. The rooms are spacious and probaly the nicest standard hotel room i've seen in a long time, but beware there are no bathtubs in standard rooms. There is also no outdoor pool the pool area is ok they have an indoor pool and a courtyard for tanning, it's ok. I def. recommend the restaurant mixx (latin-asian) fusion the food was amazing the decor was great the service was wonderful. speaking of service this is something the borgata is lacking. I never experienced such bad customer service in my life!!!!! It is such a shame for such a nice hotel to have such bad customer service. Well all in all if your going to the hotel to enjoy the beautiful surroundings this is the place, if you are going for the service this is not the place.

6 Thank Jewel68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 29, 2004

The Borgata is a hit or miss. The interior itself is beautiful and the best hotel in Atlantic City as far as looks. I have been here several times now, usually always have a good time and have won and lost on some other occasions. What the miss in the Borgata is the EMPLOYEES....it all depends on who helps you, sometimes they are rude and sometimes nice. I say some of them should visit Chicago and get a better view on how people treat "travelers". As far as I can say we are the ones who are paying the salaries which is something the Borgata employess and hotels tend to forget. I will return but only because of its beauty when I visit now I stay away from any of the employess, and if I have to "talk" to someone I try to lean towards the employess at the front desk, you will have a better shot. As far as everything else, it has great places to eat, a fun place to hang and spend a night. Don't take the place seriously, drink and you'll have a good time.

1 Thank Annette V
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 27, 2004

The Borgata is probably one of the nicer casinos mainly becasuse it is new. So obviously the entire property will be appealing. The rooms are very nice, luxury bath and bed linens, large marble bathroom with a shower for two and a separate water closet. I've stayed at Borgata 3-4 times. The property has several gourmet restaurants as well as casual restaurants. In my opinion the food is good but nothing to wirte home about. I've eaten in Old Homestead, Risi Bisi, Metropolitan, Gypsy Bar, and the Buffet. Shopping is Ok. Only 3-4 stores. The casino is big but not at all difficult to navigate. Now I'd like to address the property's downfall. POORLY MANAGED and MAINTAINED. Let me explain. All areas of the property: the casino, other public areas and guest rooms are not attended to the way a true luxury resort should be, like Bellagio, Ritz Carlton, and Four Seasons. My biggest concern is that the maids and housekeeping staff are just not properly trained. In order to keep the rooms and the property at their best the hotel needs to be maintained thoroughly. For example, in June, I stood there for one night and the round table in my room had some smears and crumbs on it. Behind the watercloset's door was a dirty towel that was not removed from the previous occupant. Smears on the mirror. I always call housekeeping to come reclean (just a perfectionist) And the light colored carpeting is suffering a lot of staining. This is also the result from careless occupants. The suites are of course in better shape because they tend to be occupied by not the ordinary person and are not occupied as much as the Classic Rooms. Therefore less wear and tear. On a final note for the high price Borgata charges, guests should be treated accordingly. Also I haven't encountered any rude employees but have read some complaints about that. Rude employees should NOT be present in a propert like Borgata. Robert Bougner (CEO) should read this. It will help with improvements. Otherwise as the newness of the property wears off, the hotel will lose customers and will not be as successful as it currently is. Finally I would like to rate the Borgata as 3 to 3.5 Stars, similar to AAA and Mobile ratings.

5 Thank WorldTr
Reviewed August 23, 2004

First let me say that I am a Black Label card holder for over a year. I think the Hotel is beautiful and enjoy staying there, HOWEVER.... housekeeping needs to iron out some problems. When you first check into your room sometimes there are no towels or not enough towels no amenities or not enough amenities and this is not only in a regular room but in the Fiore suites as well. Now ordinarily in a hotel you would just call housekeeping and get the things you need. At Borgata it is not that easy. When you dial housekeeping you get the hotel operater and heres where the problems begin. Most times the order is wrong or does not come up at all, or comes up after numerous phone calls and hours later. Mostly the staff is polite but when you want to shower and dont have a bar of soap this is a problem.

Otherwise its a great hotel and for those who dont understand why Black Label card holders have separate lines and dont seen to wait at check in and restaurants, it is because we play alot. Anyone can have a Black Label card if they play enough to meet the qualifications.

Borgata is the answer for those of us who love Las Vegas but dont want the long plane rides.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 22, 2004

I have stayed at the Borgata numerous times this year and found every trip to be excellent.

The rooms are clean and spacious and have a feel all their own in terms of decorating. I have tried the food at the Old Homestead, Noodles Of the World, and The Buffet as well as Room Service and have been more than satisfied every time.

Of course you have to expect some lines as it is new and is a novelty to some people but it is well worth it.

The comps are excellent, I found myself on more than one occasion leaving with almost 75 to 100 in comps for the next trip

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 19, 2004

I love the Borgata. I"ve been going since they opened, skipping the winter time. I"ve been comped on every visit which is about 20 times. Phone operators are pleasant and informative. I always park in the outdoor parking lot, no hassle. Check in is great from May til mid June after that , the wait is 45 min.-1 hour until late September. I"ve eaten breakfast lunch and dinner at the Metropolitan. Last year the service and the food was very good. This year both went downhill. I like the buffet, b,l and d are very good, well worth the money. Not like Harrahs, which is like hospital food. The Risi Bisi;s pizza is too greasy, sandwhiches are good. I love the atmosphere in the casino, opening year it was so clean and barely noticed the smoke, this year I can feel the smoke when I walk in and the slot chairs are getting worn out. I was at the spa last eyar, liked it very much, didnt care for the 18% gratuity tacked on before I recieve the service, also the fee to used the gym should be eliminated or brought down. I was just at the Borgata for a car giveaway and will go back in 2 weeks with an over night comped stay. Rooms are lovely, very clean and if you have to pay, price is reasonable.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2004

I went down the weekend of July 24th for my 21st birthday with about 6 other people. I had read some pretty bad reviews so I was a little nervous. However contrary to these reviews: check in was swift and painless, every person in the room does not have to have a key to get to the elevators and the rooms were not at all dirty. The beds are amazingly comfortable and the staff is very friendly and attentive. My only complaint was the long line to get into the club even though people said it was pretty empty inside. Even so, I didn't go to the club and was still up partying at 7 am. Overall it was a fantastic time, i absolutely would recommend the Borgata. In fact, I am going back next week.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member