“Consumer beware...”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Live close enough so that I can frequent AC. I am a black card holder. Have often stayed here and elsewhere, generally in comped rooms. Recently stayed in a suite 1/20-22, during the snow storm. Was interested in extending the room, due to weather. My offers on the TV screen indicated that my rate for a reg room would be $59.
I went to front desk, was told something totally different, 2 different times. 1st time, (on Tuesday, in the middle of the storm), was told suite would be $189 and standard room would be $129. When I mentioned my rate on TV screen, I was told that the they "change the rates 6 times a day", but they couldn't tell me what time of the day, this happens. The casino was almost dead, although they claimed that everyone was at the Poker tournament.
That night, went back to room, checked my offers, still $59, for standard room. Since I was willing to pay the $59 for the Wed evening, and maybe more to keep the suite and not have to change rooms, I went back to the front desk Wed am. Once again, I was told I would have to pay the higher price, even though I had given them my card # and ID. Then, when I told them about the offer on the TV screen, again was told, that "the rates change, 6 times a day", they don't know when, "that reservations does this, not the front desk", and that "2,000 people were at the Poker tournament".
I guess they think that people don't follow through or talk to each other. I called reservations from a hotel phone, and they told me my rate for a standard room was $59. They also told me, my rate for a suite, with a king size bed was $129, and $159 for 2 queens. (I was with a friend and we had 2 queens). Reservations denied that they change the rates 6 times a day, and that they had nothing to do with the rates, but that the rates were different on Expedia and other 3rd party sites. They also had rooms available, if I wanted to stay. (Someone we met having breakfast, was in the Poker tournament and told us that when the tournament started, there were about 2,000 players, but as of Tues. night, there were only about 200-300).
Needless to stay, by that time, I wasn't feeling it, was done, and packed. I could have gotten a comped room in another hotel, but decided to go home.
Overall this is nice hotel. They are the primary player in AC and know it. (The newest casino in AC started off on the wrong foot, due to poor management decisions/marketing, and they lost their footing. Hopefully they can get it back).The rooms at the Borgata have been remodeled, are clean, the food is good, but their customer service at the front desk/reservations needs additional training/improvement. I am a black card holder, and this is what happened to me. I could only imagine what someone else, who is paying, might have to go through. You may have to call 6 times a day to get the best rate! Now you know.
With regards to the games, if you play slots, I think their machines are tighter than before. The regulars that I use to see on the machines that I play, I no longer see. Machines that I had to wait for, because the regulars were on them, are empty. It's not just the Borgata, I've seen that elsewhere, as well. When you start counting the intervals and how long it takes to hit a cherry, there's a problem.
If you are able to get the magazine, "Strictly Slots", in the back of the magazine, they are usually 3 months behind, has the percentages that the casinos report in payouts to the Division of Gaming Enforcement, across the states, except for some Tribal casinos, as they don't have to report. If your able to follow this for a couple of months, you might find it interesting, and know that the casinos are in it to make money, not lose. The problem being, when machines are tight, word gets around, and people do talk to each other. Then there are other ways to enjoy your money.
As for me, I'll probably go back, but I am watching the competition, especially when treated like this. Loyalty goes both ways.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have nice sunsets.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank Gloria S
Joanna M, Guest Relations Manager at Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Gloria S-
We’re sorry for the confusion regarding your room rates and we would like to take the time to clarify. Your comments were reviewed with our Director of Front Office Operations and we determined that the Front Desk Representative was not looking at your personalized room rate and quoted you the prevailing room rate rather than your individualized room rate you earned based upon your casino play. Please accept our apologies for this error. While they were almost correct in stating that room rates can change up to 6 times per day (since room rates are based upon availability) this was not the reason for misinforming you, as they simply made a mistake in reviewing the rate plans. We’re sorry for the misinformation and inconvenience. We have reviewed your comments with our Front Office team members so that another team member does not make the same mistake again. We appreciate your patronage and loyalty and hope to be able to welcome you back to Borgata soon.

There are newer reviews for Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Spent couple of nights with my husband at this great hotel in A.C. From the room to the all the shops and restaurants this hotel is exceptional on all levels. The casino and shows are also an added bonus. Don't miss great music playing in the Gypsy Bar in the evenings.

3  Thank jerseybeachgal
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We paid almost $300 for a "standard" room, only to find out that we had to pay extra for internet access! The room was decent, but the bathroom was dirty (hair on floor and soap scum on shower doors). The bed was comfortable. We ate at Fornatello Italian restaurant, which was delicious. Overall, we didn't think this hotel was anything special, especially considering how expensive it is. If there are any future shows that we want to see, we will stay at another hotel, that's for sure.

4  Thank polo221
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

If you expect something nice in this place, you would be very much disappointed.
I myself love gambling and am used to going Wynn las vegas. This is my first time to visit this hotel and stay for a week. Bad air quality, poor attitude of regulars and dealers really irritated me. All your credits will be disappeared in 3 months (Can you believe it?). This place is to be absolutely avoided. Had to lose 30 grands to become a black level member. You should ALWAYS waits more than 10 minutes wherever you are. Cashier is especially terrible.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank sevenoout
Joanna M, Guest Relations Manager at Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Sevenoout-

We’re sorry you were disappointed with your visit. Please know that your comments about the air quality and demeanor of some of our team members have been shared with our management team for their review. I have sent you a direct message with my contact information so I can review our rewards program with you if you’d like as there seems to be some confusion on this area.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Went to ac for 4 days of work, yes work. My company put us up in the Borgata and wow what a great time, from check in to check out it was first class. We had dinner 3 nights and no complaints from anyone in our group. The room was large, clean and made up before ten every morning. I cant wait to go back

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank gwood13
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Borgata is my favorite casino! My favorite slot machine is TORCH OF THE GODS OR OLYMICS SAME MACHINE it is also a hard machine to get when its busy. I was there last night it was very busy and in two different places two people were playing two machines while I was there two ladies got in a fight because she was playing two machines almost a fist fight it took forever for security to get there. they were loud screeming almost punching. One time a lady was sitting next to her mom had 20 cents in machine when I asked her if she was playing she pressed ONE CENT. If your going to allow this why can't you get more of these machines you can't say your not making money on these machiles because they're always being played!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 732mitzi
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Despite often long check in lines, the line moves along rather well. The front desk personnel are very courteous, patient, and kind whether you are paying for a room or on a comp. They ask questions beyond the number of beds like if you want low or high floors or restaurant reservstions and remind you if you are signed up with any permotions. If you want a view of the bay, ask for an odd number room. Their rooms are spacious even with a super size king bed. Bathrooms are large with a shower with a seat in it along with large wrap around bath towels. There is real half and half for the in room coffee along with a fridge for any leftovers from one of their terrific restaurants. Your are charged fir WiFi in the room but is free in the Living Room- a secure area adjacent to the elevators which include tables and chairs. Borgata is not on the ocean but with so many shops pools,and restaurants including a food court, who needs the crowds on the boardwalk?

2  Thank Notkidding13