“Far away, expensive, but clean and hobo free.”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed March 5, 2013

This review is mostly based on my most recent trip to the Borgata, but since I've been to Borgata about ten times over the last few years, I'll toss in a few general comments in as well.

I traveled here (most recently) on a Monday night in late February with a friend so we could satiate his poker cravings on a night when the rooms aren't super expensive. He is only interested in playing at the Borgata, so we went here. We had hopes that we could get the room comped by playing for a while in the poker room, but apparently, they don't give that particular comp out at the poker room anymore. At least, that's what we were told by the staff.

Location: The Borgata (like Harrah's) is very isolated. If you plan to eat or see a show or shop at the outlet mall instead of kill all you time and money gambling, then you'll be taking a cab, paying for parking somewhere, or hitchhiking. In a sense, this makes good financial sense for Borgata. Every dime you spend will be spent with them. I find it limiting.

Rooms: The rooms are nice enough. My friend and I stayed in a smoking room because he smokes. There were no burns anywhere that I noticed. Everything was very clean and the room didn't reek, though there was still a smell of old smoke somewhere in the background. If you're not a smoker and you're stuck in a smoker room like this one, you may not be thrilled, but it's manageable. We were on the 40-somethingth floor and had a great view of the wetlands and the Harrah's parking lot. Still, you don't go for the view. The bathroom was super clean. There's no minibar, but the room did have a cube fridge, so you can bring your own vodka to chill. The bed was very comfortable and I slept very well.

Value/Service: My friend and I stayed on an off-peak monday night and it cost $80. Wait until the weekend and the price can be around $300. Whether that's a value is subjective, but it's about the norm in a decent AC hotel these days.

Entertainment: obviously, if you like to gamble, Borgata is good. It's clean and being off the boardwalk and a little on the pricey side means that the seedier elements of AC are thinned out. And I've certainly seen some homeless types wander into other gaming floors. For shopping, the Borgata is terrible. It's not near the boardwalk and its only has a few shops and none really worth browsing. For shows, again, it's off the beaten path. Unless your show is playing there, expect to be taking a taxi.

Dining: There are about ten restaurants at Borgata as well as a food court. The food court is mall food. Ben & Jerry's, Panda Express... the restaurants are almost all expensive. It says something when Wolfgang Puck's restaurant is the cheap option. There's a place on the opposite side of the casino floor that had a $40 hamburger. Keep that in mind when you budget your trip. That said, MOST of the restaurants are only open at the tail end of the week. Thursday through Saturday. There is a buffet, but it's also expensive and, frankly, not very good. I'd skip it. As for bars, there are a couple, as well as a club. I don't go clubbing, but even on this last trip, which was on a Monday night, the girls in microdresses were out in force.

Overall, Borgata is where I'd suggest if you plan to make it your destination and have no interest in being elsewhere or maybe if you get a great deal on a room. Because you're stuck. The rooms are nice but get pricey. The food, definitely expensive unless you hit the food court. The crowd skews younger. There are still plenty of old folks hogging the nickel slots, but nothing like I've seen at other places.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank molacde
Write a ReviewReviews (3,963)

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Was bumped from Water Club club room to Borgate Fiore Suite due to the fact the hotel, which promised when reserving a roll away was available, couldn't provide it due to fire codes at arrival. At check in I requested they not utilize the debit card I made reservation with, not sure what I was thinking, I usually know better, and asked that they make all charges to Amex, big mess, obviously challenging for front desk. We were a party of 5 working moms in need of a blissful get away, NOT! We left the spa like atmosphere of the Water Club to the nicotine filled, obnoxious 20 something crowds at the Borgata. The pool at the Borgata is a horror, children in swimie diapers screaming, limited food and drink service, dated decor, the Borgata spa is a horror, dated, dirty, inconsistent treatment techniques, just not right. Spa at Water Club -Immersions far superior. Best part of the entire stay was the decision to sit a the Water Clubc pool and dine at Bobby Flay and Fornaletto. Thinking smoke free, a little quieter, room to sit at the roulette table at the Revel may be a better option. Also hadn't realized the Borgata is not on the beach. The option to walk out on the boardwalk is always a nice one! Kind of shocked that this hotel is #1 here....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank jjmn31
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here on a Friday night - prices were too exhorbitant to stay on a Saturday - got a standard room. The rooms were nice, but not overly impressive, and were starting to show some wear. The bathrooms are huge, but the shower head appeared to be cheap and was covered in a green mildew that kind of grossed me out when showering. The bed was comfortable, but the duvet "cover" was really just two flat sheets surrounding a thin blanket. Would have been nice not to have to see the blanket when you folded down the sheets to go to sleep.

Would probably stay here again, but opt for a mid-week stay to make the price range more reasonable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night for his Birthday. We had a very nice room with a king bed, nice big bathroom wih a big walk in shower, flat screen tv, little sitting area with desk and a nice chair with an ottoman. We were on the 28th floor with a nice view(room#15). There were a lot of nice shops and good places to eat. Casino was nice and everything in the whole hotel was very clean. We had a nice little over night stay and we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a nicer view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are clean and appear to be continually refurbished. Front desk staff professional and accommodating. Casino floor has numerous restaurants and a food court in the basement! Pool area is clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We only go to the Borgata. We have tried all the others in AC, and nothing complares. They are professionals at service. The casino is great, the restaurants are top notch and the rooms are always comfortable

Room Tip: Go for a suite.... NICE
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe A
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I am booked at the Water Club for late March. Jennifer Wallen was the person I reached to make my reservations. She was the most polite, caring, and informative reservationist I've ever spoken to. She made the task so easy and made the best suggestions for what I could do while there. She deserves to be praised and that is what I am doing. I've stayed previously at The Borgata and all was wonderful and the reservationist was very helpful, as they all have been. However, Jennifer Wallen seemed to be so very concerned and caring about my upcoming trip. Thank you for having Jennifer on your staff. The comments I'm checking off are about Jennifer so I many not be able to check all of them as they seem to be related to the actual stay. Sincerely, Gloria

Room Tip: Jennifer gave me a choice of ocean/city view or bay view and I am opting for the bay view just for t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family