“Left feeling really dissatisfied...”

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
NYC, NY
“Left feeling really dissatisfied...”
Reviewed March 22, 2008

This was our first overnight stay at the Borgata. We live over 2 hours away and had tickets to see Michael Buble, and thought it would be a nice getaway. My husband and I heard nothing but great things about the hotel and the restaurants and were quite impressed upon checking in. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We knew that it was going to be an expensive stay and so our expectations were pretty high. I learned that being expensive doesn't mean it's the best, or even close...

2 tickets for the concert - $250
Dinner for 2 at Bobby Flay's - $220
Classic Room for 1 night - $400+
Water, 4 Cocktails, Breakfast - $100
Gambling - (undisclosed)

Event Center - Couldnt see anything at the concert. We sat in section 500, row 13. They had fancy folding chairs for the event center that are too small for the average sized person; no stadium seating for the most expensive seats in the lower sections, leaving you to strain to see the stage because the folks in the row ahead of you are all taller than you. Concert was great, but no thanks to the venue. Terrible acoustics.

Room was standard. We had a city view which was great. Most importantly, it was clean, but not worth the money.

Dinner was great, but again, overpriced.

Slot machines galore, but nothing that really appealed to us. I think I was so turned off by the smokers everywhere, yes, even out of the assigned smoking areas. I could smell the cigarettes and cigars on me all night.

Overall, the stay left me feeling really unsatisfied for the money we laid out for an overnight stay.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel, Rich Decor, Clean room with great city view.
  • Disliked — Terrible Value; you don't get what you pay for. The Event Center venue is terrible for a concert.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NYC313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (847)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
new jersey
Reviewed March 21, 2008

After reading the many reviews, I was prepard to not get my money's worth, but alas surprisingly pleased. Let me say first, we are not gamblers and we came for comedy show and a weekend away from our little guy. But our expectations remained high.
My husband and I arrived on a saturday at 2pm. The front desk was friendly and courteous, a little slow to move, but our room was ready. Loved the guard at the lounge to the elevators to the rooms. The room was plain, but quite spacious and love the floor to ceiling windows. Really opens it up. Carpet needed a GOOD vacuum though. The bathroom: large, great tiled clean shower and I did not need a bathtub; toilet in connected room with door. Fogless mirror! woo hoo!
Dinner at Ombra was great: chef tasting menu was removed, but we simply asked for it, and was accomodated. the soux chef came out to speak to us, we said "suprise us". Every dish was accompanied by a glass of wine, and everything explained superbly by the waitress. She was exceptional and had perfect timing. Only complaint: The NOISE level in Ombra was ear-splitting. Insulate the ceiling guys! TOO much noise! Will not be returning there, just for that reason. Unacceptable.
Lewis Black was great as usual.
Brunch on sunday was a french bistro and was again great, accurate, and exceptional waiters.
Spa was fabulous: nice and warm, clean, plenty of towels, I had a full spa day and I never felt lost or abandoned wondering when/where my next appointment was. Steam room/sauna lovely.
Pool: too many kids, noisy, nothing special.
Dinner at Bobby Flays: again exceptional waiters, steak cooked to perfection, much quieter atomosphere.
Casino was nice, not too smoky even in the smoking areas.
We left monday morning, did express check-out, and drove home relaxed and ready to see the little guy!

• Liked — the spa, retaurants, security
  • Disliked — pool unimpressive
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marciofoz
Philadelphia
Reviewed March 21, 2008

Just stayed at the Borgata for the 1st time with my husband. What a dissapointment! We enjoyed coming to the hotel to play before and always wanted to stay so we finally did. The Room: Nothing special - no plasma tv, no robes, nothing in the mini-bar. Bathroom has only standup shower, no tub. If you wanted some water - tough...cause the vending machine was broken in the hallway. A security guy said that they always have problems with their vending machines. Helloooo- buy new ones! We went to the Spa for couples massages. It was alright...nothing special. We wanted to use the pool but it looked like a mad house with a bunch of kids. No adult pool. They charge an arm and a leg for their rooms and don't deliver at all! Icing on the cake: My husband got food poising from their restaurant called Ombra. He was throwing up all night. I told the front desk at checkout and they wanted to comp us for the next stay's upgrade. Yeah right...there won't be a next time.

• Disliked — Room is ugly and outdated and so is the bathroom. Had food poisoning and services is below par.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wrldtrvlr25
California
Reviewed March 19, 2008

My wife and I were visiting my brother in NJ. My brother and his wife had reserved 2 rooms (comped). After a long day of visiting DC, we arrived at the Borgata ~9pm. When we checked in, they said there was only 1 room reserved even though we had the confirmations. After awhile of haggling, we ended up deciding to pay for the 2nd room...only to find out that all the elevators were broken. We sat in the elevator lounge area with ~100 other guest who were stuck. After a long day and waiting for 30mins, we finally got fed up and canceled our rooms and went down the street to Harrahs. While I can understand that these things happen, what I am surprised is that the Borgata did not offer anybody any drinks or comps of any kind. Not a great 1st impression, but I'll probably give them another chance if I'm ever back in town.

Stayed March 2008
South Florida
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Decided to stay at the Borgata as my father had been admitted to a nearby hospital and I thought this place would be a nice place to stay between hospital visiting hours. The staff is willing to say hello, but is not very friendly. Little problems began almost immediately. Room keys did not work repeatedly and the front desk was not willing to send someone up, we had to go down every time. The phone and internet in the room did not work and had to be replaced. My sister joined us and developed food poisoning from the room service. They assured her the room service would be deducted from the bill. While my sister was recovering, a hotel employee came banging on the door at midnight. Not to check on her well-being, but to file an incident report in order to avoid a lawsuit. The next morning, the room service charge appeared on the bill.
Guests must pay a $10 fee to use the gym, which is ridiculous. They yelled at my girlfriend as she was unaware of the fee upon entering the gym. These are only the highlights of the problems we experienced. The rooms were modern, but average. Showers only, no bathtub in my room. The casino is nice enough and there are some good restaurants in this hotel. But the staff and management of this hotel have no understanding of the meaning of hospitality. This is the least accommodating hotel I have ever stayed in. I have had better service at Motel 6. I have read some rave reviews of this hotel on this site. I would urge the reader to take these with a grain of salt. If you are only concerned about seeing a nice looking casino with some good restaurants you may not care. However, if you expect any level of hospitality or service do not stay here. This is a modern day clip joint.

• Liked — Nice looking casino. Some good restaurants.
  • Disliked — Terrible service.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank SouthFloridaJohnny
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I went to the Borgata for an overnight getaway on New Year's Day 2008. This was my first time at the hotel, although I'd meant to go there for some time, as I'd heard wonderful things about it.

This place is simply wonderful, and in my opinion the best hotels in AC. Although the hotel is a ways away from the Boardwalk, I didn't care as I didn't even want to leave the place. The self parking is only $5, and the elevator from the garage to the casino is one of the nicests I've seen.

The hotel states that check-in isn't until 4 PM, but I showed up at 11 AM, and within 5 minutes, I was given a key to my room. One had to show a room key or be escorted by a bell hop to get past the security guard who guards the entrance to the hotel room tower . I liked this aspect, as it made me feel a bit safer.

I am not a gambler, so I went there mainly for a spa visit and just some time alone, to relax and rejuvenate, and I got to do exactly that while there. I spent most of the day in the Toccare Spa. It's a wonderful and heavenly haven. I got an array of treatments there. I've been to many spas in the past, and the Borgata has a great one. The massage tables have heated Temper-pedic mattresses, the decor is chic, and the music is not your typical Enya singing with the whales type of noise. The spa attendants really enjoyed their work and are very attentive, as were the staff at Ombra, the restuarant where I dined later that night. The food was delicious and the service was outstanding. There are a plethora of worthy restaurants at Borgata. I chose Ombra because of the menu, but on my next visits, I'll make sure to check out the other ones, including the celebrity chef venues.

However, as others have mentioned in previous posts, that the hotel lobby and desk staff all seem to have sour looks on their faces and voices that sound of gloom and despair. Even though I was checked in quickly, and check out quickly as well, the people at the desk made me feel as if I were driving a stake through their souls by being there, waiting for them to do their jobs. I didn't gamble, so I can't comment on the gaming floors and such. I didn't go to any of the night clubs or entertainment venues, so I can't comment on them either.

One thing that I enjoyed was the area at the base of the room towers on the ground floor. It's called "The Living Room". There are couches and chairs there, where people can sit and talk or enjoy the free Wi-Fi (unlike the rooms where they charge you $12.00) for plug-in access. I enjoyed it, because you could see the casino floor and not be bothered by the noise (and smoke), talk with your friends, or meet other people, or just relax.

I stayed in a Classic Room, their basic room. It is an average sized hotel room, and comparable to the Omni, Marriott, or a similar type hotel. I liked the room, but was not particularly impressed by it. The suites are much sweeter, but the prices are a bit juicy too. However, they are lovely accommodations (one of the maids let me peek inside of a couple that she was cleaning.)

The price for that day was $149, which I think is a good price, especially since the price for the night before was over $800. I loved the bathroom, especially the shower, and the furniture in the room was nice, not really my taste, but still something most people would find pleasing. The Classic rooms still have a tube TV, (the suites have the flat panels). On the weekends, and when there is a major music/comedy act in town, the prices for the all accommodations for the hotel skyrocket...making the price of Classic room go up to $459 or more. Which is why I hadn't stayed at the Borgata before. I think this was worth the money given the price I paid for the room on this date. I'll go back again, primarily depending on the room rates. However, for the prices that they want for the Classic room on weekends, it would be better, and possibly cheaper to go to Vegas for some people.

• Liked — The Spa and restaurants
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank queenices
Reviewed March 5, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel 4 times since its opening in 2003, the most recent being a one night complementary stay Feb. 26, 2008. This is by far the best casino hotel in Atlantic City. The rooms are very modern in decor, and the beds are very comfortable. Our first experience was fairly close to its opening. We booked a package for our anniversary and were upgraded to a Fiore suite, the smallest suite they offer. It was spacious and modern. Very large bathroom with soaking tub, large separate shower, separate WC, two sinks, a vanity table with a cute lamp, and a closet with safe. Two double doors separate it from the main space, with a couch, coffee and end tables, desk, chair, entertainment center and the like. Hardwood foyer entry. Everything spotless. We were impressed.

The second stay was in a classic room. Another package through the hotel. Classic room was average sized for a hotel room. I've stayed in smaller, but I've stayed in bigger, too. Bathroom has single sink, large shower, no tub and separate WC. Again, everything spotless, and our stay in the room was pleasant.

The third stay was not so pleasing. We checked in for a complementary one-night stay approx. 6pm on a Tuesday in January 2008 to find a 30 minute wait. When we arrived at the desk, we were told no more non-smoking rooms were available. My husband told the front desk clerk that I had allergies to cigarette smoke and, poof, we were placed in a non-smoking Fiore Suite. (Message me and I will explain why this happened to us and how you can ensure non-smoking rooms in the future, even if the hotel claims they are not available) Unfortunately, the suite was not in the impeccable condition we found during our previous stays. The furniture in the room was dusty. When we turned on the tub, we noticed it was dusty, too, and some brown water initially came out of the faucet. One of the lamps did not work. Water pressure was not good. We were disappointed, but not enough to complain since our stay was free.

The fourth stay has made us question the standards of maintenance of the hotel. We checked into another complementary room, this time a classic room (room 3014) (we secured it to be non-smoking this time in advance). I took a shower before dinner. The seal on the shower door was damaged, and water leaked all over the bathroom floor. Again, no big deal, there are plenty of towels to clean it up. I looked up at the top of the shower door and noticed paint peeling from the ceiling. Again, no biggie. What really upset me was when I reached for the Lather body lotion to apply after my shower and realized the tiny little bottle was HALF FULL!! A USED TOILETRY!! I could not believe it. Now, I have traveled internationally and have reasonable standards for a hotel. But to leave a used toiletry item for another guest is simply unacceptable and unsanitary. We finished dressing and headed downstairs. My husband went to the front desk and very nicely asked them to bring us some toiletries since the one on our room was half full. He then told them that whoever goes up to do so should be careful as there is water all over the bathroom floor from the leaky shower door. The front desk clerk asked us if we'd like another room, and we agreed. Poof! Another Fiore suite (3055). Not that we were angling for the free suite, but it certainly was in better condition than the classic room.

What made me write this review after all these stays was that I am growing concerned that Borgata is resting on it's name and not working hard enough at maintaining the property. Sure it's the newest and fanciest in town, but is that enough anymore? You may know that it is co-owned by Boyds Gaming and MGM Mirage resorts, two very large Vegas casino operators. They run Bellagio, Mirage, etc. You would think that if they were interested in really succeeding in AC that this company would work as hard on this property as they do on their Vegas properties. I think that maintenance and management need to ensure that ALL of their rooms are up to par and that housekeeping is doing it's part to make the stay there as pleasing as possible.

Despite this, I would still stay at this property and would still recommend it to others. Compared to what else is available, if you want to stay in a casino hotel, this is really the only choice. The casino is nice, the restaurants are good and the overall atmosphere is sophisticated and not at all "granny on the casino bus" if you know what I mean. Enjoy your stay, but if the room is not up to your standards, let the front desk know. They seem to have way more rooms available than they are letting on.

• Liked — price of rooms
  • Disliked — lack of maintenance and/or cleanliness of the rooms
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple