“I don't impress easily, but.....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa

Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Hartford, Connecticut
“I don't impress easily, but.....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2003

We just returned from our 3 night stay in Atlantic City. The first two nights were complementary at the Taj Mahal and the last night was a complementary room at the Borgata. We've always enjoyed the Taj Mahal, but this trip found it to be a bit ragged and weary. So, we looked forward to our stay at the Borgata. When we got left the Taj Mahal it was quite early in the day, around 10:00. We thought we'd leave our baggage with the concierge and come back later to get our room key.
But, to our surprise, the woman at the front desk said she had a room available for us immediately as long as we didn't mind two double beds instead of a king. Who cares? We've been married way to long to pass up an opportunity to settle in our room early. To put it mildly we were impressed with the opulence of the casino and the hotel rooms. The details that were put into the planning and design are absolutely breathtaking. The food at the buffets wasn't cheap....but worth every penny. The food was superior to any buffet we've had at any casino. And the guest rooms are way beyond nice. They are Art Deco in style with sleek clean lines and subtle geometrics in the designs of the carpets and bed linen. (Squares and diamonds being the theme here). Even the elevators with their domed Birchwood ceilings, geometric designs of granite and marble on the walls and of course the television inserted within the granite on the back wall was quite amusing. Ever little detail has been painstakainly planned. I was also delighted to find that in order to get to the guest elevators, you had to enter through the 'living room'. I guess you just have to experience the Borgata yourself to know what I'm ranting about. Oh yes, there are plenty of nickel slot machines all over the casino floor for those who aren't 'high rollers' and just want to suck in all that the Borgata has to offer besides gaming.

7 Thank Jeanne_Ct_

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2003

We went to the Borgata for a weekend in August. We have been to vegas several times and loved the Venetian and the Bellagio.

It was obvious that the Borgata was trying to be the Bellagio of the east. The failed! The decor was beautiful and our room was nice.
However, Bellagio has something that the Borgata doesnt think they need - CLASS. We found most of the staff to be very stuck up. We were criticized by the check in staff when we tried to check in at 2pm - we were told that check was at 3pm - I am not aware of any hotel that does not allow you to check in early if rooms are available! We asked a person on the floor for directions to an area of the casino and we were met with rolled eyes. We were not told at any time that we would have to pay for parking - we only discovered this on the day we left ( we had been in and out of the parking lot several times and were never charged). When we asked the front desk staff about the parking charge -we were told that was another area and they had no idea what the policy was

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2003

We visited the Borgata in August. I booked on their website but the rates quoted were wrong. Double check them at check-in and use the AAA discount. Starbucks in the hotel is a nice convenience and great for a quick breakfast. The Gypsy bar had great music with very comfortable overstuffed leather chairs and good food. The coinless slots are great and you don't miss walking around with the stupid buckets. Classy place.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2003

I contacted the Borgata after receiving a letter for tickets to see Journey. A host advised me that she would get back to me about the tickets. This went on for about 4 or 5 days back and forth, when I came to find out from another host that happened to answer the phone after my 15th phone call that there were no comp tickets available. I had not problem with buying the tickets from Ticketmaster which I stated to the original host, but she said oh no just wait, I could get them for you.
Meanwhile by the time I contacted Ticketmaster, they only had scattered seats so me and my husband would have been rows apart. Put a bad taste in my mouth so I won't be going there for any reason or calling there.
And we are gamblers so, their loss.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2003

This is the closet to Vegas you'll get in AC!! The hotel itself is beautiful, the decor is young and hip. The room was immaculate with modern furniture. Comfortable beds, roomy bathroom. Everything is super pricey- We ordered a 6-pack of Bud Light to our room and it was $33!! A Grilled Cheese wa s$10! Tables were no less than $25 on a Saturday night. Slot machines took only $5 bills and above. You can easily drop some mad money between the room, food and gambling. I reccomend the $8 cab ride to the boardwalk for cheaper gambling. You definately are getting quality at the Borgata but I think it's way too pricey. There is a difference between affordable and ridiculous. Also, the staff is still a little confused about where things are. Dealers were a little slow as well. I give it 4 out of 5 stars!!

2 Thank frqntrvlr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2003

The good :
* The rooms. Incredible view and very posh. The shower was great. Very romantic and beds that are the best in AC.
* The hotel staff. Very attractive and smart ladies that helped with all our questions and did a great job in getting a great room for us.
* The people. No bus day trippers here. No people hogging 5 slot machines. And no kids.
* The food was incredible. Went to the 'Old Homestead' (steakhouse) which was a must if you like steak. I highly recommend the Filet Minion. The Borgata buffet isn't cheap compared to others but the food was worth it.
* Everything is on 1 level. Casino, food, bars, theater, club. No walking a maze to find the 'good' bar or the buffet.

The bad : The casino workers. The waitresses of course were the
exception. Ubelievable outfits and smiles. But at the table games, I
saw 2 mistakes and 1 happened to me that the pit boss had to be called
over for and fix. So keep your eyes open on the cards and be sure they
can count. This will probably be fixed since this is still a new
casino, but they should hire more competent people.

Overall, I will be coming back. The majority of people there are in
their 30s & 40s. Its a classy hotel with upscale bars and a club that
is still in the process of putting everything together. The rooms will
impress any lady and is great to show someone a special time.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2003

stayed two nights at borgata casino. quick check in friendly staff tight security compared to other casinos in A/C. food delicious only complaint to long a wait on lines. best buffet. stay away from metropolitan cafe. poor service untrained staff and tasteless food.
GREAT SEEING NO CHILDREN OUTSIDE OF PLAYING AREA UNATTENDED OR WITH SIBLINGS BABY SITTING. OTHER CASINOS SHOULD DO THE SAME.

• Stayed January 2005