“Feels Like Home”

Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
ashes594
“Feels Like Home”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have been going to this hotel for years and it feels like going home every time I go back. Be sure to stay in the new tower of the hotel & you will love it. The Ocean Tower is in deseperate need of a remodel, so if you opt for the older tower you probably wont fall in love. The hotel is small enough to learn your way around, which I love.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ashes594

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (955)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 25, 2011

To be honest, it was the best price we found anywhere at any beach so we booked 3 rooms ( took the whole family) and i was expecting the rooms to be on the run down side for what we paid through Expedia. To all of our suprises, the rooms were remodeled, clean, and very inviting. Our one room was even a suite which was a total suprise! For a family on a VERY TIGHT BUDGET, we were all VERY HAPPY with our stay at the Resorts!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
New York City
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Based on the reviews of this hotel, I was terrified of what I would encounter. Still, it was the best deal on the boardwalk. In some ways my stay was better than I expected, in some was it was about what I expected.

I typically do not spend much time at my hotel when I travel. Even though we stayed at Resorts, we didn't eat at any of the restaurants and only really spent time there on our first night. We saw Club Piscipo, which was OK, and they were filming the show for an HBO special, so maybe I'll be on TV.

The weekend did not get off to a good start. The confirmation of my reservation didn't list the rates, which I thought was shady. It also didn't list the address of the hotel. I didn't realize this until I sat in my car, ready to enter the address in my GPS. I had to call the hotel. It was annoying.

Parking was only $5 for our entire stay. We arrived at the hotel around 3, and although they checked us in, they told us we had to come back for our room key after 4pm. I thought this was ridiculous. They really didn't have a single room ready? We checked our bags, and killed some time.

Based on other reviews that I've read, I held my breath as I opened the door to our room in the Ocean Tower. I was pleasantly surprised. It was not the nicest room that I have ever stayed in, but the room was attractive and nicely furnished. The bathroom was not as well-maintained but it was clean. They only provide you with shampoo and body lotion, so if you condition your hair, bring your own conditioner.

We could not get a good temperature in our room. The room felt stuffy, so we turned the thermostat down. Then it was freezing, so we turned it up. Then it was stuffy. We decided to keep the room freezing and request extra blankets. The first night, they didn't have extra blankets, so they gave us extra sheets. Housekeeping took the extra sheets the next day, so we again requested an extra blanket on our second night. No one even bothered to come to our room, even though we called twice.

I wanted to use the gym while we were there, but they charge $15! I know a lot of other casino hotels do this, so it's not necessarily a criticism of Resorts -- I just think it's ridiculous for a hotel guest to have to pay for basic amenities like a gym or internet.

Customer service was OK. The aforementioned blanket incident kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Housekeeping staff was friendly and greeted us in the hall. Some employees seemed disinterested, but that seemed to be an Atlantic City thing -- we experienced it at other casinos as well. I think that you are just not going to get the same kind of service in AC that you might get in Vegas or even the Connecticut casinos.

I think if you don't spend a lot of time in your hotel and just want to be on the boardwalk so you can be close to other hotels, then this hotel is a decent option. I can't say I would seek out another stay here, but I would stay here again if it was the best deal. If you like to really spend time at your hotel to enjoy the amenities or casino, then maybe another place would be a better option for you.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 21, 2011

If you collect social security and wear Orthopedic shoes, then this hotel is for you. With the exception of the lobby and the new torch whisky bar (which is smaller than my walk in closet) I dont think this hotel has been renovated since Merv Griffin owned it. Plenty of penny and nickel slots for you know who.

If you are under 55 stay at another hotel/casino in Atlantic city.

Cleveland
Reviewed August 20, 2011

A utility infielder on a baseball team typically plays anywhere in the infield when a starter is hurt or needs rest. The utility infielder tends to be OK/good, but not great. And that summarizes Resorts.

They did everything good, but not great.

In general: Resorts did or had almost everything any other hotel on the Atlantic City boardwalk provided. They met the standard; but that was about it. If you're a traveler used to a classier and cleaner edge, you may be disappointed here. If you're a traveler who doesn't have high hotel expectations, this may be a comfortable hotel.

Details: Parking is only $5 per visit (you leave and comeback, you pay another $5. But if you stay @ the hotel, that can be reimbursed I think. We never looked into it though). Thought that was a decent deal. The hotel provides baggage storage if you're there earlier than check in, but we didn't use that feature, so we cannot vouch either way for it.

They do not permit any check in at all before 1pm. Our room was ready before the 4pm general check in time. They opened up various check in lines and the front desk staff was accommodating and kind.

We were less than impressed with our room. We stayed in the Ocean Tower which is the older part of the Resorts complex. The room was damp-feeling. That's the only way to describe it. It felt as if the carpet was moist, and that made the room feel moist. Bathroom was outdated, but for the most part clean. Room was clean in a general sense, but felt sticky because of this mysterious dampness. Carpet was very stained. We tried every way possible to keep our luggage and bags off the floor. We wore flip flops the 4 days we stayed. While this was weird, it wasn't enough to flip out and call the room disgusting. It was just slightly poor.

The pool area was located on the third floor. It had a deck that overlooked the ocean and had a retractable roof, and 20 person hot tub. All very neat qualities, but not very well kept. Here, Resorts seemed to miss a chance to take advantage of some neat qualities. The glass retractable roof has various panels cracked, the hot tub had a yellow ring of whatever-yellow-rings-are-made-of around it, and the deck was just a slippery roof top. Still enjoyable though. We used the pool to our advantage.

The casino had a lot to offer. Slots, table games, bars, and drink specials. Not a bad place to spend the evening. Not as lively as the Caesars casino pack, but well enough. The restaurants and clubs in the hotel were better than the hotel itself. A bit pricey, but manageable.

Resorts shares a portion of the boardwalk with the Taj Mahal and Showboat hotel/casinos. But this wasn't the more lively portion of the boardwalk. Exactly .6 miles south on the boardwalk is Bally's, Caesars, and more. We were more drawn to that end of the boardwalk (or even farther down toward Tropicana or the Chelsea).

Overall: Based on other reviews, we were expecting a rude staff. They were quite the opposite. They were kind in our encounters (check in, towel request, room service, check out, direction request, etc). Also, instead of the hotel taking advantage of it's historic feel by up keeping itself, it felt more run down historical. We wished they would have used that to their advantage.

This hotel did a good job at only meeting the minimum standard. Protesters hung out in front of the hotel for one of our days. They explained to our group how the new Resorts owner is cutting corners on costs and not putting a lot into it. That's the impression we got as well.

Resorts did everything good, but not great.

Room Tip: There are clubs on the 3rd and 13th floors of this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelwithwhiz
Schenectady
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed in the Rendevous Tower and were pleasantly surprised. Clean, spacious (the biggest standard rooms in AC according to AAA), with a nice bathroom: marble, double sinks, large shower stall, separate water closet area. I dropped in one rating because the bed pillows were small and hard ("That's what she said"). Also, hubby, an early riser, went to play in casino at 5 am, whereupon he was hit on by a drunk woman begging for him to buy her drinks and countless homeless people panhandling. Security was non-existent. Scary, because he won a small jackpot and there were many unsavory types milling around him when this happened. Fortunately, he's a big guy who can hold his own, but a female by herself would have been no doubt accosted.

1 Thank kat14Schdy
New Castle, Delaware
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed here this past week more or less on a wim. We found the experience delightful. Staff was very helpful. Our room was very nice. My impression is that they are going all out to please the customer and they really succeded. My only negative is their parking garage, which is terribly outdated.