“Bad Hotel Policy”

Resorts Casino Hotel
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed May 14, 2011

What kind of hotel policy is to "knock twice then enter" the room? Resorts is. And when there's four females sleeping at quarter of one in the morning, that policy becomes unsafe. Had the latch/bolt not been engaged, there would have been a male hotel employee offering us handtowels in our room at 12:45 am. Really??? Super unsafe. Plus, bedbugs. EEW. True, we could check in a bit early, into our non-smoking room that smelled like cigarettes, and it is right on the boardwalk, but the mattresses are about as soft as granite. Good luck sleeping. You'll need it.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
25  Thank kerryannsp

Reviewed May 12, 2011

The staff at the front desk were quite friendly and allowed us to check in early. Our smoke free room smelled like stale cigarettes, the beds were hard as rock and I am pretty sure that my friend was bitten by bed bugs during our stay. The worst part of our stay was when a member of the hotel staff walked into our room in the middle of the night. We were awoken by a loud knock on our door around 12:45. As we approached the door to see who was there, we were horrified to see it had been opened. To a strange man delivering hand towels. Thankfully we had closed the bolt on the door that prevents it from being opened all of the way. No one slept for the remainder of the evening due to fear. When I went to complain to a member of management the response I got was, "Our policy is to knock twice and then enter the room". They did give us a credit for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. The problem I had was that the they seemed to think it was okay for a man to be delivering hand towels and entering guests rooms in the middle of the night. It doesn't matter if they are male or female, no staff members should be entering guests rooms in the middle of the night.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
27  Thank carrisEs
Reviewed May 1, 2011

This is a decent hotel/casino in Atlantic City, but the punishing, rock-hard mattress puts it on my "Never Again" list. Essentially, if you find it uncomfortable to sleep on the floor, you'll find it uncomfortable here. It's too bad, really, since the room itself, in the Rendezvous Tower, was pleasant: tastefully furnished; great, marbelized two-person shower; two bathroom sinks plus a chair/vanity for the lady; big, state-of-the-art TV. In addition, the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

I read another review of Resorts (after staying), in which the hotel's response to the complaint of rock-hard mattresses was, "Yes, we get a lot of complaints about the mattresses."

Why not fix the problem?

Room Tip: Trump Plaza in AC has more comfortable beds.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
25  Thank mysticchowder
Reviewed May 1, 2011

After a fun filled night, my husband and I past out in our hotel bed. At 5am I was awoken by a painful pinch like feeling on my left arm. When I opened my eyes, I saw a bedbug crawling on the white bed sheets. I immediately jumped up and turned the light on which of course woke my husband up. I screamed there is a damn bed bug.My husband grabbed a glass and put it over the bed bug and immediately called the front desk to ask to speak with a supervisor. He spoke to Earl who brushed him off and offered to change rooms.I went down to the front desk to speak with Earl myself in hopes of a refund or other form of reimbursement. After a substancial wait, my husband came down stairs looking for me. Earl the night shift supervisor finally came to speak with us, and it was brief as again brushed us off and actually told my husband he has nothing to say to him. He implied security would be up to our room to handle the situation. Shortly after we returned to our room Phil from security came to do a incident report. He took pictures of my bitten arm and the bedbug who we had catured in the glass as evidence. He apologized for Earl behavior and actually notified us that this is usual behavior for Earl. Nicholas from guest services came to our room and brought us new room keys as we initially refused, but being 5 am no reservstion services are open till 8am at any of the local hotels. As I write this, I am waiting for 8am to arrive so we can check out. Already spoke with credit card company to cancel next day. YUCK DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank urmy_asia
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We booked a room with a late check in. We were guaranteed a room with two beds for four adults. When we got here the thought it was ok to put us in one queen size bed. Four grown adults cannot fit in one bed! They told us to sleep on the floor and they would give us a different room the next day. For the price you pay, there is no way you should sleep on the floor! And our ocean view is the back wall of the neighboring building.

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank Gfrog137
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We have been staying at Resorts for the past six years. It's always been a mediocre casino and hotel, but we've always enjoyed the comps and service. However, lately it has been disappointing.

We stayed for two nights on April 21 and 22. We had a comp room for Thursday and were sharing a comp room with another couple on Friday as we have lost our Friday comps. We checked in around 7:00 and were lucky to be with Elite players and we did not have to wait on the long check-in line. The other couple got a room in the Rendevous Tower (the newer one). When we checked in they told us we could upgrade our comp room to the Rendevous Tower for an additional $20. In six years we have only been placed in the Ocean Tower maybe three times. There was no compromising and I refused to pay extra for a tower we always stay in so we regretfully accepted the Ocean Tower.

I was extremely disappointed in our room. We were on the second floor and from the moment I stepped off the elevator I knew we should have upgraded. The hallway was dimly lit and it just appeared old and dirty. Our room was a distance from the elevator and it was deserted. I would have felt uncomfortable had I been alone. The room itself needs major updating. It was a nice size room, but decor needs some work. Everything (carpeting, drapes, bedspread and furniture) was different prints and colors, nothing matched. The bathroom was horrible. The ceiling definitely needs a coat of paint and the entire bathroom needs a good scrubbing. There is no vanity, just two narrow shelves above the toilet. Not very easy for a girl to get ready with no vanity space. Plus we only had one bath towel and didn't realize it until the morning. There was no one from housekeeping around and we didn't have time to call and wait so we just made do. The only positive was the AC worked great and the shower pressure was amazing.

The second night was better in the other tower but we had major issues with towels. There was again only one towel and now we had four people in the room. Housekeeping didn't have any towels and told us there weren't any. It took three in-person requests before we finally received two extra towels.

The casino is under new management and there are tons of promises about all the changes to come, but they are taking a while. The casino has not been updated in a while. No new slot machines have been added in months. They have added live entertainment and Happy Hour specials at the 25 Hours Bar. However, the bar has not been expanded yet so expect to find the only bar in the casino to be crowded at night. There are a limited amount of restaurants and their casual restaurant Breadsticks is usually busy as it is your only option at times. Beware of the $2.99 Steak Dinner advertised from 11 p.m.-7 a.m on weeknights. The regular line was out to the boardwalk around midnight Thursday night and the Elite line was long as well.

Since it was Spring Break, there were kids everywhere. In the hotel lobby, walking through the casino, running around the hotel unsupervised. Security needs to take more control of unsupervised children and hold parents accountable.

I am hoping that the changes will start to occur soon. With so many other casinos to choose from there's definitely competition out there. If you can be guranteed the Rendevous Tower, I say give Resorts a chance. If not, there are plenty of other places to stay with nicer rooms and amenities.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Rendevous Tower
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kristine_LongIsland
Reviewed April 23, 2011

I gave the Resorts 4 stars which is a little skewed. In the normal world outside of Atlantic City this hotel would probably be a 3 or 2 star, but in a city filled with dumpy hotels and dirty rooms because of quick turnover and patrons that don't respect property, this hotel far exceeded my expectations. After reading the many reviews, we found no bed bugs, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the rooms were decently cleaned, the beds comfortable, and the rooms themselves were quite large for a non suite.

The major downside of our stay was the extremely drunk and obnoxious party surrounding our rooms. To the Resorts credit they did try to quiet the party. I have to say all of the bad can be more easily overlooked as the room was only $55 per night. We did stay in the new tower on one of the top floors, so we did have new furniture, flat screen tv, and not many stains on carpets. Location was perfect. The casino isn't my favorite but easy walk to Taj, and Showboat. Finally, the children in the party loved the pool and the service at the restaurant on site, "Breadsticks." Food was terrible and typically expensive for a casino, but the servers were great.

I would stay again at $55 per night, expect the worst, and be happy when everything works out.

Room Tip: Gamble a ton in their casino and get comps.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family