“Poor Service, Great Pancakes!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gilchrist Restaurant

Gilchrist Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 391 Restaurants in Atlantic City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Santa Clara, California
“Poor Service, Great Pancakes!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We read great reviews of this place, so we decided to try it out for brunch. We arrived about 11:30 on a Monday and weren't seated until about 12:45...the woman at the desk lost our name on her list! I'm glad we went up to ask after about an hour, or else we'd still be sitting there. As soon as the problem was brought to the hostess' attention she put us in a great table overlooking the water.

We saw our server once, when she took our order - never brought the coffee I ordered. When the food came, I was not disappointed. The reviews were right - the pancakes are amazing. They were worth the hour long wait! The rest of the food (I had one of their combos with eggs, bacon and home fries) was okay, not unlike any diner food.

For the pancakes alone, this place gets 4 stars....if I could give it a separate rating for service, I'd give it 1 star, if that!

Visited August 2013

Philadelphia
“Keep your expectations reasonable and you'll love this place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Basic breakfast food, but very good. Reasonably priced for Atlantic City. If the weather is good sitting outside can't be beat.

Per other posts the wait could be bad, but the morning we were there was a Sunday around 7:30am and we had no wait. I've noticed other posts about how great the service was, but that absolutely wasn't true for us. Service was friendly, but once our food was brought we never saw the waitress again - we wanted water, but no chance to ask. I ordered a juice that never came, but we were billed for it. Never had a chance to refill my coffee, etc.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Springfield, New Jersey
“Always great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Every time we go to AC to go Parasailing or on the Dolphin Cruise at Gardiners Basin, we always start the day with a breakfast at Gilchrist. The food is consistently good and the prices are very reasonable. We have been there at least 4 times and each time everything was very good.
Yesterday, I had a short stack of Blueberry Pancakes. Not only were they delicious, light, full of blueberries, and golden brown, the portion of 2 pancakes was more than enough for me. They were so good, I did not even bother using syrup - just the butter. My boyfriend had 2 eggs over easy, grits, and sausage. He, too, really enjoyed his meal. We would love to try them for lunch someday - but they do close at 2 p.m., which means you get back a bit too late if you go out on the Dolphin Cruise.

Trenton, New Jersey
“Nothing fancy, great prices and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Good old fashioned breakfast with good food and great prices. Wait to be seated. Great outside on the water dining. Away from expensive casino food. Great service. Highly recommended.

Visited August 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Hidden treasure in AC!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

What a great find. Tucked away by the AC Aquarium, this area of shops and restaurants is a hidden treasure. One of the best breakfasts at the shore- great omlets & famous thin pancakes!