“Nice hotel, great location, could use some updates, but worth the price”

The Annex at The Chelsea
Ranked #34 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel is in an excellent location, literally steps to the Tropicana- but without having to pay the huge casino hotels price. Upon arrival, the lobby is very nice and modern... we stayed in the Annex which is definatly older, but okay. The elevator, hallways and rooms were aged, but had modern touches. The beds were nice with the plush down comforters and flat screen tv... but you could tell in the bathroom that it had not been updated from the old green tile...All in all this is a great place to crash after a night of hanging out in Atlantic City. Overall a good value.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RehobothGirl5000
There are newer reviews for The Annex at The Chelsea

Reviewed October 1, 2009

The Chelsea is a small boutique hotel on Atlantic City's boardwalk near The Tropicana. But apparently there is a big difference between the Chelsea hotel and the Annex at the Chelsea Hotel. When my wife and I was looking for a last-minute hotel room in AC for a night, we found both the Chelsea and the Annex at the Chelsea both available. But the Annex was significantly cheaper. So we figured, it's the same hotel right? Why not book the cheaper? The bottom line is you get what you pay for. As the photos I have uploaded can prove, the Annex is like a glammed up motel. Both hotels have the same lobby and entrance, and it looks contemporary and modern and chic when you first enter. We waited for about 30 minutes at the front desk because there was only 1 person (this is on a Monday in the middle of August). But once we left the lobby, it was a different story. The pool was tiny, but that wasn't my biggest gripe. The dark hallways smelled of mildew as we went to our room. The room had some trendy furnishings like a modern lamp, a nice color palate, and well designed stationary, but you could see that beneath those amenities, the room was old, musty and seemed as if it was a converted motel. I would not recommend this hotel if you are used to staying at 4 star hotels.

3  Thank calvinklein76
Reviewed September 8, 2009

I stayed at this hotel last weekend of August we had to ask for an upgrade due to the poor conditions of the rooms where we stayed at.
I HIGHLY do not recommend this hotel, aside from very poor room conditions the staff is VERY rude!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank BuTTeRy0312
Reviewed August 29, 2009

The Annex at Chelsea is billed as “retro-motel style” accommodations. The Annex is basically the old Holiday Inn Boardwalk hotel. The Luxe Tower and other new construction of the Chelsea was built next to it in 2008. My girlfriend and I stayed at the old Holiday Inn back in August 2007 and had a pleasant experience. Since Expedia.com was having a sale on rooms, we decided to try out the Annex.

Check-in was reasonably fast. The check-in desk was backed up at the time we arrived, so a concierge offered to check us in over at his in at this desk. Overall, the entire hotel staff was very friendly and attentive.

In going up to the room in the Annex I was quickly reminded of the old Holiday Inn by the dated appearance of the elevator interior and hallways. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the room. We stayed in the Oasis room, which has a King size bed and balcony that overlooks the outdoor Spa pool. The room had a modern king size bed with high quality bedding, a flat panel TV, modern lighting fixtures, a clock radio with iPod dock, and a mini fridge. The bathroom was still the old original bathroom, but was in very good condition and spotless. The balcony doors were old and difficult to open. These old doors need to be replaced with modern doors that offer better soundproofing for which reason I will explain below.

Guests in the Annex have access to the same amenities as guests staying in the other part of the hotel. There is a coffee shop, Teplitzky's, that is on the ground floor of the Annex that despite the limited number of selections on the menu was great for breakfast and also for quick bite while on the way out to see a 9 pm. comedy show at The Borgata.
On the day that was sunny and warm, my lady and I decided to spend the day at the rooftop pool to get in some swimming time and to sunbathe. The pool was good (albeit not heated) but the lounge chairs and cabana service was exceptional. There a full service bar on the rooftop, in addition to private cabanas that are available to guests for a fee. At night, the rooftop becomes an open air nightclub called the Cabana Club, supposedly one of the hottest nightclubs in Atlantic City. We didn't go to Cabana Club, but were able to hear some of the music in our room. This is most likely due to the old balcony doors providing no help in keeping the sound out of the room. We were able to sleep despite the minor noise, but I would caution anyone who needs complete silence when sleeping from staying in an Oasis room.

The Chelsea has valet parking which is fast and priced reasonably at $10 per day.

Overall, we had a very good experience and would certainly consider coming back, especially if the rooms rates continue to remain competitive.

Reviewed August 25, 2009

We were also part of the mob scene trying to check-in on Sunday afternoon. The hotel was unprepared, rooms in the Annex were not cleaned and ready for check-in until well after 5pm. While our room was relatively clean, the faucet ran in the bathroom (unable to shut it off), a light in the entry way was punched out, and we also had a AC that leaked water all over one corner of the room. Public rooms and hallways were dirty. For not being open very long the hotel looked beaten to death.

The bed was the one wonderful part of the hotel... and breakfast was quite good...

We used the spa on Monday morning and had great massages, but... towels were extremely short supply, the electronic locks on the lockers failed (necessitating a call to Security to bring the key while I waited and waited).

And then we checked out. It took a long time to bring our car down and when it arrived, the handle on the emergency brake was broken- couldn't budge the car. They made noises about it being broken when we brought it in... ummm, and how did we and they manage to move the car with the emergency brake on? The manager came out, took notes, and didn't make very apologetic noises. Someone finally pulled the handle apart and we got the brake unlocked... next up is a trip to Honda for repairs... they had better be cheap because the Chelsea is getting the bill.

Won't stay there again, and won't recommend it to anyone else!

Reviewed August 25, 2009

They may have updated the website, but when we booked, we were under the impression that the ENTIRE hotel had been renovated. And we were told be the front desk that this was so as well when we complained about the room. Now it looks like they admit on the website that only the bed and sheets are new.

Just walking to that part of the hotel from the lobby makes you feel like the chelsea just doesn't care about guests there. The dim lighting (like they are trying to cut costs to an unused section) leads you to the dirty, damaged, graffitied elevator. The room itself was fairly clean, but holes in the ceiling, broken handles to the balcony doors etc, were just not what we were expecting. The bathroom is tiny with it's original ugly everything just a new coat of paint and luke warm,at best, shower water. I see why there are no pictures of the bathrooms from the annex on the websites.

When we complained to the front desk, the woman was very nice but... if we wanted to stay in the much nicer Tower, it would be an additional $50 per night. Which is pretty funny considering the hotel was empty- I only counted 6 other people during the 3 days we stayed there. Luckily we had dinner plans, because the Stephen Starr restaurants were closed during the week.

tried to do valet, but never saw him so we parked at the Tropicana and walked back. we were able to have the daily parking charge removed from bill.

Friends had much better rooms at same or better rate in Tropicana and Taj Mahal. BTW, tried to originally post this review on the website through which we had booked the hotel, but the review was blocked by that website. I guess they didn't like that we stated the hotel was completely misrepresented by both the travel website and the hotel's website.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Got there at 3:00 on a Saturday to check in for one night. After waiting in line for 20 minutes, was told that our room was not ready and to come back at 4:00. We left our luggage in the lobby in an open area with other people's luggage. There was a person there to monitor the luggage that was coming and going, but looked overwhelmed. We were skeptical about leaving our stuff out in the open.

When we arrived back at 4:00, the lobby was mobbed with people waiting for rooms. This time, waited in line for 45 minutes only to be old once again our room wasn't ready. After nicely explaining that we were traveling with my pregnant (seven mos) sister, and that due to the lack of air conditioning and seating in the lobby (usually there would be plenty of seating but there were about 120 people waiting for rooms, all seats taken, and luggage everywhere) she just really needed to get into a room to lay down. 25 more minutes, and we were in a room.

Had we not been traveling with an obviously pregnant woman, I can only image how long it would have taken to get in a room. There were dozens of unhappy families waiting. After a bit. several waitresses came around to offer people drinks. The drinks were not free though, so this "gesture" didn't go over so well as you can imagine.

So my sister did get to lay down for a but, but we had to leave soon after to get dinner and go to a concert. We had planned on being able to spend time at the pool/beach, but our time was taken up fighting for a room.

When we arrived back around 11:00pm, the room was sweltering... the air wasn't working. We went down to the lobby to complain, and we were promptly moved to a different room. Once in the new room I noticed that the carpet below and around the air conditioning unit was soaked, but at this point I didn't care and didn't say anything, I was just sure not to put any of my belongings near the ac unit.

On a good note, the beds were comfortable (stayed in the annex) and the hotel and rooms were very nicely decorated. The breakfast we had in the diner the next morning was above average. The location was perfect. The people who work here were nice to deal with, but they themselves were victims of the situation. As I already said, I really wanted to like this hotel, but I wouldn't stay here ever again.

After reading the hype about this hotel, I had really hoped I would be able to write a positive review, but unfortunately, the stress of not being able to check into a room threw off our entire evening. We were never offered a comp for having had to deal with all of this. I will be sending a copy of this review to the hotel directly.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family