“Great location”

Ranked #36 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Staten Island, New York
“Great location”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here in April 2013.
The room was very clean and the hotel is on the boardwalk and close to restaurants, casinos, etc. We have not tried the swimming-pool but it did not seem very clean though.
The front desk was pleasant, efficient and very professional.
For the location, cleanliness of the place and price of the room it was a great deal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JulienV84

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed here three years ago and really enjoyed the Annex, so we thought we'd come back for a fun weekend away. We booked in the more elite section, expecting a better experience. Big mistake. The room just wasn't clean, with mysterious white gel all over the shower floor. The room smelled musty and the card key didn't work most of the time.

The service, front desk and valet, was exceptionally slow and unhelpful (a big change from our prior stay). All told, I'd look at a Trump property before coming back to the Chelsea... which says a lot, really.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, try the Annex.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Had to switch rooms. First one was soo heavily scented with a potpourri stuffed in the AC unit. Gave me a Migraine. Will Have to ask for a fridge to be brought to your room. Location is right on the boardwalk. Housekeepers are loud. Bell staff are courteous. On site diner is decent too. Coffee was a bit bitter. Parking is either on site valet, or garage across the street. Dunkin donuts is a block away. Beds are firm with plenty if pillows.

• Stayed September 2013
New Jersey
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This place gets 2 stars only because of the Concierge, valet parking and front desk: pleasant, efficient and very professional staff. The lobby and valet parking are all it has in common with the Hotel Chelsea, a newer building housing the boutique hotel part. Oh, and the location is prime and close to everything. We stayed there one night for the Atlantic City Triathlon and I fail to see why this was the race hotel. For a room that cost upwards of $370 with all taxes, etc., this was a prime dump. Not cleaned or touched in any other way since the 60s or 70s, except to get flatscreen TVs, it was the stuff of nightmares. No coffee maker or microwave in the room, the explanation was that those would be liabilities; yeah, I get the drunkards setting hotels on fire, but if you allow people to check into both the Annex and the Main Hotel with multiple 24-packs of brewskis, what the hey? How will Athletes eat before the race if the restaurant and room service open at 7:30 am and they have to be at the venue by 6:30 am? Lousy, greasy food around the place, and to get to Dunkin or Starbucks belied the closeness of the stores. Carpet on the hall way taped down with duct tape, room keys that deactivated randomly, bulbs burned out in the room and bathroom, toilet either flushing continuously or not at all, and best of all, a fridge that would periodically make noise like a plane taking off. If you kicked the cabinet, which was the only way to stop the noise, all the other drawers slid out and stayed out. It must be that housekeeping and maintenance hate each other's guts and never talk to each other. I've stayed in A/C plenty of times, but all other hotels had clean rooms, amenities, and cost less. If you can, stay elsewhere - please.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, either you're on the street or over the pool; pick your type of ruckus.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank citygirlpz
Columbus, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Check in went smooth but from that moment on everything was horrible. The elevator was scary and when you step out into the hallway it's even worse. The carpet is old, paint old and peeling. The room small and dreary. Old furniture, peeling paint, sink cabinet held together by staples, no hair dryer or refrigerater. We spent $300 for this room, worst $300 I've ever spent. Go next door to the Trop!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My friend and I decided to to take a quick trip to AC for a few days. We tried this hotel and ended up checking out the first night!

Upon arrival, valet seemed very unorganized. At the check in desk while waiting, another guest was at the desk complaining about the Annex and how it is nothing like the Chelsea, complaining about the quality of the room, and the fact they were false advertisting as an extension of the Chelsea. We were a bit skeptical at this point; however, decided to move forward with check in. Walking to the elevator, you can see a change in the look/feel of the hotel as well as the quality of the furniture. As we approached the elevator, you could clearly tell it was old, outdated, and dirty. It appeared to be one of a motel rather than a hotel.

We got to our floor which had a direct view of the pool from our door.. In one word... DISGUSTING! We entered the room and were immediately disappointed. The furniture is very old, stained, and cheap. The bathroom tile and grout were horrible and clearly appeared as if they took no care/concern when prepping the hotel. The travel size lotion/shampoo amenities provided were already used and never replaced by the cleaning staff. As you can imagine, this was HIGHLY concerning. We called the front desk who apologized and said they'd send someone up to replace. They chose not to address any concerns about the cleaniness of the room considering their housekeeping staff did not replace in the first place. As a result of this, we went through the rest of the room to check. We found hair and makeup on the pillowcases. At this point, called the desk again who said they'd send someone to replace but not further addressing the larger issue. We took the sheets off the bed and found blood stained on one of the pillows. DISGUSTING BEYOND WORDS! I only wish we took pictures to post.

We went to the front desk and, firstly, the manager did not even want to come out to address us. Instead, he instructed the front desk rep to offer us a $30 food comp certificate for the inconvenience. We didnt want to STAY in the hotel, let alone eat in their restaurant! If you can not clean rooms, how are you keeping your kitchen????

Anyways, the manager finally came out to us after waiting for 30 minutes, and comp'd us one days stay and our valet. Clearly, if they cannot understand the health risks involved with their hotel to not offer a full refund, they must need the money more than we do. So at that point, we booked another hotel (Golden Nugget) and immediately checked out!

Do not waste your time or money on this place. It is disgusting, they clearly care nothing about their guests, and only want your money. They are probably using the money to keep the Chelsea up to par!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed September 4, 2013

It has been almost a month since I stayed at the Chelsea Annex. It was a terrible experience. In fact it was so bad, I decided to wait, before writing a review, to see whether over time I relax about it. I did not.
It has been almost a month since I stayed there and I still cringe thinking about that place. It is not about amenities. They are great. Location is perfect and the Chelsea is doing a great job trying to be a chic, modern boutique hotel. But people working there spoiled my stay completely.
The girl at front desk gives monosyllabic answers and radiates with attitude. Do not expect her to ask you about your stay or why you are in AC or to be concerned about anything you ask her for. Her colleagues do not seem to be too bothered to start a small talk with you as well.
But the real treat is dealing with bellmen. I was asked to pay 15$ for a storage room on the day of check out. When I said that this makes me pretty uneasy, as I have never ever had to pay anything for storage, no matter whether it was a five-star hotel or youth hostel, the bellman told me that it was because "my room was sold on a discounted rate anyways". Then he asked me to show my bill (I guess he needed a proof I actually stayed at the hotel). When I addressed that issue with the front desk manager, he said that this is not a hotel rule.
I guess it was bellman's way of getting a tip.
I do not think this is however, the failure on bellman's point or the front desk girl. I think management really fails to inspire these people. They really did not seem to enjoy working there and that made me not enjoy interacting with them. Shame.

Room Tip: look for another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo