“A Blast From The Seedy Past” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Annex at The Chelsea

The Annex at The Chelsea
Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
New Jersey
“A Blast From The Seedy Past”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

This place gets 2 stars only because of the Concierge, valet parking and front desk: pleasant, efficient and very professional staff. The lobby and valet parking are all it has in common with the Hotel Chelsea, a newer building housing the boutique hotel part. Oh, and the location is prime and close to everything. We stayed there one night for the Atlantic City Triathlon and I fail to see why this was the race hotel. For a room that cost upwards of $370 with all taxes, etc., this was a prime dump. Not cleaned or touched in any other way since the 60s or 70s, except to get flatscreen TVs, it was the stuff of nightmares. No coffee maker or microwave in the room, the explanation was that those would be liabilities; yeah, I get the drunkards setting hotels on fire, but if you allow people to check into both the Annex and the Main Hotel with multiple 24-packs of brewskis, what the hey? How will Athletes eat before the race if the restaurant and room service open at 7:30 am and they have to be at the venue by 6:30 am? Lousy, greasy food around the place, and to get to Dunkin or Starbucks belied the closeness of the stores. Carpet on the hall way taped down with duct tape, room keys that deactivated randomly, bulbs burned out in the room and bathroom, toilet either flushing continuously or not at all, and best of all, a fridge that would periodically make noise like a plane taking off. If you kicked the cabinet, which was the only way to stop the noise, all the other drawers slid out and stayed out. It must be that housekeeping and maintenance hate each other's guts and never talk to each other. I've stayed in A/C plenty of times, but all other hotels had clean rooms, amenities, and cost less. If you can, stay elsewhere - please.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, either you're on the street or over the pool; pick your type of ruckus.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank citygirlpz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Columbus, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Check in went smooth but from that moment on everything was horrible. The elevator was scary and when you step out into the hallway it's even worse. The carpet is old, paint old and peeling. The room small and dreary. Old furniture, peeling paint, sink cabinet held together by staples, no hair dryer or refrigerater. We spent $300 for this room, worst $300 I've ever spent. Go next door to the Trop!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

My friend and I decided to to take a quick trip to AC for a few days. We tried this hotel and ended up checking out the first night!

Upon arrival, valet seemed very unorganized. At the check in desk while waiting, another guest was at the desk complaining about the Annex and how it is nothing like the Chelsea, complaining about the quality of the room, and the fact they were false advertisting as an extension of the Chelsea. We were a bit skeptical at this point; however, decided to move forward with check in. Walking to the elevator, you can see a change in the look/feel of the hotel as well as the quality of the furniture. As we approached the elevator, you could clearly tell it was old, outdated, and dirty. It appeared to be one of a motel rather than a hotel.

We got to our floor which had a direct view of the pool from our door.. In one word... DISGUSTING! We entered the room and were immediately disappointed. The furniture is very old, stained, and cheap. The bathroom tile and grout were horrible and clearly appeared as if they took no care/concern when prepping the hotel. The travel size lotion/shampoo amenities provided were already used and never replaced by the cleaning staff. As you can imagine, this was HIGHLY concerning. We called the front desk who apologized and said they'd send someone up to replace. They chose not to address any concerns about the cleaniness of the room considering their housekeeping staff did not replace in the first place. As a result of this, we went through the rest of the room to check. We found hair and makeup on the pillowcases. At this point, called the desk again who said they'd send someone to replace but not further addressing the larger issue. We took the sheets off the bed and found blood stained on one of the pillows. DISGUSTING BEYOND WORDS! I only wish we took pictures to post.

We went to the front desk and, firstly, the manager did not even want to come out to address us. Instead, he instructed the front desk rep to offer us a $30 food comp certificate for the inconvenience. We didnt want to STAY in the hotel, let alone eat in their restaurant! If you can not clean rooms, how are you keeping your kitchen????

Anyways, the manager finally came out to us after waiting for 30 minutes, and comp'd us one days stay and our valet. Clearly, if they cannot understand the health risks involved with their hotel to not offer a full refund, they must need the money more than we do. So at that point, we booked another hotel (Golden Nugget) and immediately checked out!

Do not waste your time or money on this place. It is disgusting, they clearly care nothing about their guests, and only want your money. They are probably using the money to keep the Chelsea up to par!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Warsaw, Poland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

It has been almost a month since I stayed at the Chelsea Annex. It was a terrible experience. In fact it was so bad, I decided to wait, before writing a review, to see whether over time I relax about it. I did not.
It has been almost a month since I stayed there and I still cringe thinking about that place. It is not about amenities. They are great. Location is perfect and the Chelsea is doing a great job trying to be a chic, modern boutique hotel. But people working there spoiled my stay completely.
The girl at front desk gives monosyllabic answers and radiates with attitude. Do not expect her to ask you about your stay or why you are in AC or to be concerned about anything you ask her for. Her colleagues do not seem to be too bothered to start a small talk with you as well.
But the real treat is dealing with bellmen. I was asked to pay 15$ for a storage room on the day of check out. When I said that this makes me pretty uneasy, as I have never ever had to pay anything for storage, no matter whether it was a five-star hotel or youth hostel, the bellman told me that it was because "my room was sold on a discounted rate anyways". Then he asked me to show my bill (I guess he needed a proof I actually stayed at the hotel). When I addressed that issue with the front desk manager, he said that this is not a hotel rule.
I guess it was bellman's way of getting a tip.
I do not think this is however, the failure on bellman's point or the front desk girl. I think management really fails to inspire these people. They really did not seem to enjoy working there and that made me not enjoy interacting with them. Shame.

Room Tip: look for another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank MichalKaczmarski
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I purchased an Amazon deal for this hotel due to the fact that we had a yearly golf outing that takes place in a nearby town so the price of this place was not bad. After reading the reviews I was kind of freaked out. This place is outdated and needs a lot of updating. I would not book a vacation stay here. For us,it was a place to stay overnight. The bed was comfortable. The website is very deceiving. We lost electricity only on half of the room. We did call and someone fixed it within 10 minutes. When I read some people paid $300 a night for this place they were ripped off. For that price stay at the Tropicana next door. I would not stay here again but it was only a place for us to stay for one night.

• Stayed September 2013
West Grove
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had a Groupon so the price was right. I would say it was on par for a hotel of same price anywhere else. I was just looking for a fast getaway evening and it was OK. If I were to spend the Atlantic City prices I would have been extremely disappointed. I stayed in the Annex overlooking the pool. The hallway was fairly dark & the room was quite noisy as the generating equipment is on the lower roof of the adjoining building. I probably won't go back, but then I probably won't stay in AC again either.

Room Tip: My guess is the rooms overlooking the boardwalk may be quiter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Middletown, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked this hotel at the very last minute using Expedia. When we arrived three hours later there was a problem with the reservation and I had to wait at the desk for about fifteen minutes while the information was acquired from Expedia. The young man at the desk apologized for the inconvenience and comped the valet parking charge. $15 a night - Thank you very much!
There are two pools, complimentary lounges and umbrellas on the beach, towels are provided, and there is a drinks-only Happy Hour at the pool on the first floor. These amenities were great and really added to our family trip. Every Tuesday night there is a European Party near the pool on the 5th floor; we didn’t go, but we saw the flashing lights and saw dozens of trendy twenty-somethings heading in.
On the down side, the annex really needs updating: the carpets were worn, the bathroom, although spotlessly clean, had peeling wallpaper and really old fixtures, and the elevators were so slow I decided to just walk the three flights each time.
Overall, it was a good experience. I will return, but I will stay in the hotel, not the annex. One tip to save some cash: skip the hotel breakfast because it’s a bit pricey. Instead, have breakfast at the Atlantic Club Casino next door. Over there you can get a good breakfast on the cheap, but be advised, plain old coffee costs $3!

Room Tip: The annex is not as nice as The Chelsea.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family