“Not as Bad as the reviews make it sound”

The Annex at The Chelsea
Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Ok, so my group and I freaked once we realized we were in the Annex, after reading the reviews it is hard to not be scared that this place is going to be down right awful. We were in room 106 an Oasis Queen, we got there and it was like a sigh of relief. Was the room big? No, not huge, but it was clean, we could smell the bleach on the linens and the bathroom was clean as well. Would I call this room luxurious, not by any means, but for 4 girls it worked just fine. The service from the staff was above expectations, we were able to get extra towels with no issues and all of the hotel staff was kind and helpful. My biggest gripe was that the water pressure was lousy, but nothing to call a trip ruiner, and the air conditioning wasnt opwerful enough. Other than that the room had a flat screem, a fridge, a nice balcony, and clean linens what more did we need, we werent there to spend all of our time in the room. I dont know what other rooms looked like, but if you get room 106 its not bad.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Leslie E

Reviewed August 22, 2012

WORSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT HOTEL EVER. service was horrible, they scam you and lie to you about what services they offer, when it turns out that they dont have what promise they "are very sorry". Room was disgusting, despite the comfortable bed, dirty bathroom and floor, a couple of live in roaches just for an added spice. 500 bucks for 2 nights, ive been to MUCH better motels for 1/5 of the price.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank b0olet
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I'll never go back. Scuzzy!! Room needed a paint job as did halls. Furniture was old and rickety, there was no refrigerator or microwave. Doors slammed all night long. Even the pool area needed serious refurbishing. Staff were harried and rushed and lines were long. The food included in the deal was awful and the rock and roll blasting in the background didn't help. I only wish that I had read the other reviews before I booked. One could fly to Fla. and stay in a beautiful place for very little more money. No wonder Atlantic City is going downhill.

Room Tip: Don't go, but if you have to or have a free stay try the more expensive section.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed at the Chelsea hotel in may of 2011 an thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I enjoyed the service as well as the amenities the hotel offered. I enjoyed the experience so much that I booked the hotel again and brought my friend. Boy was I embarassed.

The bathroom - there was black mold growing in the grout of our tub and shower. There was a patch of white sand paper type material in the tub to patch up a hole. It was about the size of 1 foot by 2 feet. There was a piece of gum in the corner of our tub as well. Just disgusting ad embarrassing.

The room smelled like mold. I don't know if it was the carpet or coming from the walls but the smell was strong. The air conditioner was very loud, but that was the least of my concerns. The sheets on the bed were clean and the over-all Decor was cute.

Check in and check out was a disaster. The charges to my room were wrong and I stood in line for 30min and the line still wasn't moving. I did the express checkout so I wouldn't miss my flight and am still stuck with the false room charges - to a tune of about $150. What was u supposed to do? This hotel is very poorly staffed or the employees are misguided or lazy.

The restaurant teplitzkys was great. Food there is always good. The service was terrible. I overheard the servers complaining about not wanting to take tables and were very rude.

The pools on the first day of our stay ran out of towels, but towels were available on the second day. On both days of our stay the beach did not have chairs for us to sit on. this was one of the main reasons I booked this hotel.

Overall I am disappointed. It is a cute retro hotel with nice amenities when the amenities are Available. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 21, 2012

After looking online for the best deals and places to stay in Atlantic City, my group and I were sold on The Chelsea - close to the beach, walking distance to the casinos and everything major. The pictures online of the place are stunning and made it look like a 5 star hotel. However, when we got there, it definitely did not live up to the online marketing and picturesque display- old couched that were beat up, outdated bathrooms and amenities. It was okay, not bad, but not too impressive. It worked out for us, and we had no major complaints, except for the mild smell of vomit in one corner of the room, which was gross.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Omg where to being?? Lets go through the good. The Bell service and the Restaurant service were good and that's where the good ends. Here was my experience. After a 40 to 45 minute wait on a check-in line where the staff gossips about who took the the day off while the line was heading around to the other end of the lobby towards the bathroom in the back I was given the key to the hell hole. We were sent to the Annex which looked like a dungeon even the elevator glass on top was broken and moldy. Apparently if you are not staying at the Chelsea building goog luck to you. When we arrived at the room I took a look around after chocking on the moldy and nasty smell in the room which had sand in the comforter I layer my luggage. I grabbed my things and went to see the manager.

The manager was something else. Not ny did I not even get an apology for the condition of the room but I had to wait another 30 minutes to come back to him to set me up in another room. When I showed him the picture of the room I booked I was told that the picture was of a deluxe suit. When I told him well this is the picture you posted on your Living Social special what I got was "oh I heard about that" and was given a key to another room that although better definitely not a place I would ever stay again. Thank God we only had to deal with it for the night and we were out most of the time. I would have felt worse if it wasn't for a lady hpwhi had paid $4000.00 for 3 particular rooms of which the hotel only booked 2 and then told her there was nothing they could do until Tuesday. Only problem was that she was checking in on SUNDAY!! Not once did they apologize or try to accommodate or make up for it in any way. It was just an oh well take it or leave it. Mind you this lady had family with her with a baby...

Needless to say I will never ever go there again. I took pictures and would luv to find a way topmost them on this so people can not just read my experience but see it as well minus the horrendous smell we endured when we opened that room door.

Room Tip: Do not stay at the Annex. That building is run down and falling apart.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Not so impressed. Needs overhaul. Nice style but Hotel is worn looking.

This is a non-gaming and no-smoking hotel yet there was smoking at pool.

Stayed in Annex. Room was a disgrace. It was semi-clean (can see dust under furniture) but too worn for my liking. Wall paint was various colors of gray due to patch jobs with paint, pictures missing from walls, door mirror missing, chipped furniture. Beds however, were comfortable.

Pool area also needs work. Could be gorgeous but during day looks drab and run down. I guess most of the draw there is the nightime scene and when its dark and the lighting is right, I am sure it looks good. Both pools fairly small.

On sight restaurant was very good and convenient.

Good location as steps from boardwalk but not on boardwalk.

Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family