“Will Stay again!”

Ranked #38 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“Will Stay again!”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed at the Chelsea the July 10 for a few days. A friend had stayed here a month back and loved it so we gave it a try. It was a last minute mini vacation before the family starts out on their sports camps. I had signed up for email specials which I was able to get a room for $69 in the annex. It had to be pre paid with no refunds. We are a family 4 so we decided to get 2 rooms for 4 days. It was the best plan ! 2 bathrooms for the teenagers. BTW- requested adjoining rooms. The rooms are retro with a flair of modern. That is correct. Lets start with the bathroom which is small and has the original tile and tubs. Very Clean and lots of towels. The Bed Linens are clean and Housekeeping does a great job. Annex rooms do not have a mini fridge.. they should consider it. The folks in the lobby always greet you-which is a plus. Valet Parking was a breeze and the guys are really helpful. The saltwater pool gets shaded very early so we opt for the 5th floor pool. The life guard attended to us with towels and let us know a pool person would be around if we needed drinks etc. When we went to the beach - the cabana boys brought chaises, towels and a the umbrella to the spot of our picking. This was a very nice feature. Just had to bring myself and family down to the beach. Nice Change :) The Chelsea also has bikes to use in the morning on the boards - went down to late and never got to use them.. Think they only have 3. The Chelsea is right next to the Tropicana - nice location. Not to crowded. Overall - very happy and would stay again.
Forgot to mention: had to have maintenance reset the power, blew the circuit when we were blow drying our hair in different rooms. guess that part of the updating was not done. Also, the one air conditioner didn't blow cold air - just warm. One room had a Ipod radio dock and one didn't.. really weird. Monday must be garbage day - ugh! It was so loud. the room we had was the view of the Condos. The Annex rooms have no view of the ocean or boardwalk. Note - We had rooms on the first floor which exit through a large lobby down steps which no one seemed to use. So, in the morning we would walk to the Trop and get the bagel/coffee special at the Create A Cone come back sit on these chairs and use this space as a little breakfast area. You can't bring your food into the pool area since they have their own restaurant. No Self Parking. The Parking will be charged back to your account and they also want a credit card which they put a hold of $100 just in case. $10 weekdays and $15 weekends

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank paulagc29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Long Island
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Stayed in the Annex which was much more expensive than it's worth. The room was comfortable and clean enough, but keeping the original bathrooms in the renovation was a bad decision. The bathroom was small and old and was a big disappointment for a $300 room. We were hoping for a quieter, older (30's - 40's), classier experience than you get staying at the casinos, but the clientelle was surprisingly young and drunk. If you stay here, be prepared for some crazy people watching at the pool, which was seriously the highlight of our time here. If you're going to stay, spring for a room in the regular hotel, avoid the Annex, and get ready for a loud house music Jersey Shore party at the pool!

Room Tip: Avoid the Annex
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 16, 2011

The annex section of the Chelsea is an absolute disgrace. The room we checked into barely had any lighting in the bathroom and there was BLOOD in the BATH TUB. BLOOD. They only thing they did for us was move our room. No compensation or apologies and it took management 1/2 hour before they sent someone to switch us. I did not stay here by choice as I stayed here before and it was equally as disgusting. Not worth the "savings"

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank lt1228

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Travellin
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Let me start by saying that I am an Atlantic City local. However, I like to get rooms sometimes so I don't have to worry about driving home and whatnot. Having stayed in pretty much every worthy establishment in the city, I WOULD NEVER RETURN HERE, and I certainly would not recommend it to ANYONE.

First and foremost, the staff is rude and unhelpful. Check-in and check-out were a nightmare, there were many guests complaining about a multitude of problems. The staff were completely unapologetic, and did nothing to appease. The hotel is ridiculously loud. I don't know how anyone can sleep in this place. Doors slamming sounds like bricks being smashed onto the walls. Drunk people running around, yelling, laughing and basically causing mayhem at all hours. Don't get me wrong, I come to AC to party (I'm in my late 20's) but this environment was unbearable. When I called the front desk the complain, they did not seem to care one bit. All I got was a very unconvincing "sorry about that"! The rooms are total garbage. I stayed in the Annex, and The Chelsea should be embarrassed by these rooms. No mini-fridge (unheard of!), not very clean, and a view of a dirty alley. I tried to get moved but they would not accommodate. Needed ice, and had to go to 4 floors away to get it. The ice machine was broken on my
floor, and you could tell it has been broken for a long time due to the
dust and grime on the machine. Other floors just had an empty,dirty space where the ice machine was supposed to be. The food at the Chelsea is mediocre at best. Ate at Chelsea Prime, and was very disappointed by the service and
food quality. For the same prices I
could have eaten at one of the
many great steakhouses in AC. I
also had to wait about 20 minutes
for my check. Reminded the waitress twice and she forgot both times. Eventually I got fed up and
had to demand my check rather
rudely before she finally brought it.
The breakfast place downstairs was
OK.

Now for the (few) positives. They have a great pool, some pretty
bottle servers, and it is very close to the beach. Nothing else comes to mind.

• Stayed June 2011
Virginia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

To say that our room (322) was noisy is an understatement. We arrived at 11:00pm and the place was a total zoo. There is a nightclub on the 5th floor and there were partygoers everywhere. Think college dormitory and you'll get the idea. Very sleazy environment. Not at all what is portrayed on the website.

We check in to the room and the trouble begins: Doors slamming. People partying in the hallway. Cars screeching directly under our window - perhaps we were above the valet parking or parking lot. My husband and I travel with earplugs and a sleep machine, however, nothing could drown out the noise.

Apparently there are two sections to this hotel. We had no idea. We were in the dump called the Annex. Rooms were average at best. When is the last time time you stayed in a hotel without a mini fridge in the room? View of an alley.

We called the front desk twice complaining about the noise. There were no other rooms available and no one did anything about the noisy hotel guests. To top off the evening, someone pulled the fire alarm around 3 am. We looked outside the room and there was smoke everywhere. I went out on the balcony and fellow guests were panicking and screaming that there was a fire on the 3rd floor (our floor!). We ran out of the hotel. As the fire department left the building, they told us that someone sprayed the floor with a fire extinguisher. During this time (about 1/2 hour) not one representative from the hotel helped us or advised us what to do. A group of about 10 irate guests approached William at the front desk. We asked for a manager but there was no one on call. We asked to have him called at home and were told his response was "he'll be in at 7 am." The manager's name is Gary. Thanks for nothing, Gary. We checked out at 4am and drove all the way back to Maryland with no sleep. We would never return to this place nor would we recommend it. Stay away! Even without the fire alarm being pulled, this place sucks.

Warning: as we were checking in, two separate parties were turned away. They had booked with hotel.com. The front desk employee said that hotel.com had booked rooms that were not available. Little did I know how lucky those people were. Go to the Trop or the Hilton. They are close by.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 1, 2011

This was my 3rd stay at the Chelsea, but my 1st time staying in the Annex. I knew that the Annex rooms would not be as nice as those in the Luxe Tower, but I wasn't prepared for a trip back in time to my college dorm. My first indication was the ghetto elevators. 1 of the 2 was broken, so my friend and I often walked up and down 4 flights of stairs, as the 2nd was extremely slow. The 2nd indication was the smell. Someone vomited in the elevator (and I think the hallway), as both reeked. The elevator carpet was eventually removed, but the hallway still smelled the entire time. There were tons of garbage bags in the hall when we arrived, and each afternoon as the rooms were cleaned. I've never seen this done in a hotel before. It created a very low-end atmosphere. The 3rd indication was the condition of the room itself. Like a previous reviewer, we were unable to easily open and could not lock the sliding glass door to the balcony. We were expecting a refrigerator, only to discover a cupboard that looked like it used to house a fridge, but was now empty. We were also unable to access the advertised WiFi. Finally, people were talking loudly in the halls throughout the night. I have gone to The Chelsea in the past for a hip, upscale alternative to casinos and motels, but over $600 for a weekend in a pseudo college dorm was a rip-off.

We did love the convenience of the beach service and the proximity to the Boardwalk.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mimi H
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I stayed at the Chelsea over Memorial Day weekend with friends. First, we paid for a room that looked almost like a motel room. Our balcony door was stuck and did not open--we had to call several times and about four hours later somebody came up to fix it. We were interested in going to the rooftop lounge that everybody was raving about--so we went down early to speak with the front desk about how to make sure we can get in with friends without waiting in line. They told us to come back at 10pm to get bracelets and we wouldn't have any trouble at all being early. To put a long story short, we went back at 10pm to a complete mob scene--it was chaos! Every staff member at the hotel gave us a different response about how to get upstairs because there were no bracelets! For a hotel that has been throwing this party for years, there was no direction or organization at all. When I got upstairs, visiting friends wanted to reserve a table. The security on the 5th floor were extremely helpful and tried to get a hold of the professional staff in charge of reservations. I spoke with two different people who helped me with the table and reassured me my table reservation was no problem. When my party got downstairs, they were told to wait in line behind everybody else. The wait was over an hour! The staff did not tell me my party would have to wait in line even if they have reservation and they had came in a cab from another hotel 15 minutes away due to this table reservation. When I confronted the staff member about this lack of information and expressed my disappointment, he walked away from me. I had never been treated like this as a customer in my life. For such a beautiful rooftop lounge, it was hard to enjoy after experiencing this lack of customer service.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends