WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of La Renaissance Suites

La Renaissance Suites
Ranked #22 of 52 Hotels in Atlantic City
Miami, Florida, United States
“Not Luxurious, But Did the Job!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at La Renaissance Suites for 4 nights for a girls' weekend and to attend the Orion Music Festival at Bader Field. And yes, while the place may not be "up-to-date' - it was clean and it more than served its purpose for our needs and pocketbook!! Now we are from the Miami area and do not scare easily and are more than a bit street wise, so we did not find it particularly scary - but I would not recommend walking NW from the hotel solo up to Atantic Ave at night. I mean if you are from Mayberry and are not use to the Big City... well this place isn't for you - stick to the more populated/touristy areas. If you can handle yourself and can be aware of your surroundings and don't need to be a diva, then you will be fine here. This place is RIGHT ON THE BOARDWALK!!! So why pay hundreds of $$$ when you are not going to be in your room? We had a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen. The staff was FAB and answered all of our questions. To top it off, we found the best local Pub 2 blocks away - the Irish Pub - open 24/7, best drinks, atomsphere & food!! So no, it's not the Borgata, but who the hell wants to pay $300/$400 a night for 1/2 the space to sleep and shower? Seriously? Would I stay here during spring break?? NO!!! I can see how this place would probably get out of hand in that type of situation - but we had no problems during out stay - no noise at all - so plan accordingly. Didn't try out the pool, so I couldn't tell you about it.

Room Tip: There is a shopping plaza with a CVS and a supermarket about 3 block NW of the hotel on Atlantic Ave...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Cherry Hill
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Before we exchanged our timeshare to go here, back in December I called and spoke with Terry. I asked my usual questions I have when going to a new resort. He was nice and it seemed like a good place to try. Once we had the confirmation for a 2 bedroom unit, I called and requested a low floor because I have a fear of heights. No problem, Terry told me, but no guarantee. We check in April 27 and after parking in the awkward garage, found that the elevator is glass and on the outside of the building. They exchange floors 4 through 9 and put us on 8. The wall falls away after the 3rd floor. I don't know where 8 out of 9 floors constitutes a low floor. Roosevelt insisted there was nothing else available except for a 1 bedroom on the 4th floor. I tried it and panicked once the open area was exposed. That unit was very small, so between getting upset every time we wanted to leave and feeling cramped, we decided against staying. In calling the exchange company, they got us a much nicer place but charged us $169. I called and spoke with Terry twice after that to speak with an owner or manager about getting a refund. He claimed he didn't know who owned the place and said he'd have the manager, Michelle call me. Days later she still didn't call. I've tried everywhere I could look to get the owner contact information and was unable. As a last resort, I sent a letter to the attention of the owner/president explaining what happened. At the very least, the clerks should be trained to listen to guests requests. I was never told about the glass elevator and couldn't get up to the 8th floor. There is no picture of it on their website, either. To date, I still haven't heard from anyone there. After reading the bad reviews, perhaps we were fortunate to not have stayed there. Not many people seem pleased with this place. We're on a small fixed income and resent that they got our money from the exchange company and gave us no service whatsoever.

Room Tip: There are several other timeshares in Atlantic City that cater to guests. I've never had a prob...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank katrifl

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

Boca Raton, FL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I have come to this place several times over the year. Located on a dismal, scary, back alley street that alledges to be On the Boardwalk, you'll get closer to the Boardwalk by playing Monopoly. It peaked about 8 - 10 years ago. There was a great customer service oriented on-premises Manager and Assistant Manager (I think the Manager's son) that were literally available 24/7. There had been major improvements and the place was really fun. Now, they've eliminated the game room that my kids loved and the entire place is decorated in early Bronx. Actually I misspoke; the place is not decorated at all. While there are early Bronx remnants, most of the furniture is broken and non-functional. Don't lean back on the reclining chairs as you'll wind up on the floor. As other reveiwers have mentioned, the place is the home of bachelor parties, strippers and ocassional bachlorette parties. The maintenance staff is fantastic - they are totally customer service oriented, but can't keep up with the declining condition of the property. As friendly and custiomer service oriented the housekeeping and maintenace staffs are, you'll do a lot better with them if you speak Spanish. If you are not frightened by the back alley in friendly AC, it is in a great location next to the demolished Sands Hotel in the middle of the Boardwalk. Parking is free as advertised IF you get there early and don't move your car. The narrow, difficult to navigate inside lot holds about 1 car for every 3 rooms and comes with a scary car elevator ride IF you can figre out how to use the car elevator. The roof top pool is similar size to an above ground pool that I grew up with in Brooklyn. Enjoy the location but careful about hanging out on the balconies as things tend to get tossed as the parties grow through the night.

Room Tip: Higher the better. Lower floors have no view at all.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank FrankBocaRaton_FL
Alton, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

If you're like me and get lured to this place by the relatively low price (for a Boardwalk location), be sure to bring ear plugs and sleeping pills. The price attracts a clientele that parties until dawn, playing pulsating music, and whooping and screaming at the top of their lungs. The place falsely advertises free parking, as the postage-stamp sized lot accommodates a tiny fraction of the guests. The city police are onto this scam. They aggressively patrol the parking meters nearby the hotel 7 days a week. I left A.C. suffering from serious sleep-deprivation and with two $36 overtime parking meter tickets as souvenirs of my stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Robin W
Toms River, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

Well, where do I start? I guess not a bad price for being on the Boardwalk. However, cheap you buy cheap you get. I was there 2 days. It was a clean room, which is always nice. The blanket in the closet was dirty and I had to ask for a new one, but it’s the little things in life, like toilet paper and soap that I had to ask for, then I had to go down to the lobby each time get them because there is only one guy working, and this was the second day after the cleaning lady had been there. They said there was a Jacuzzi tub in the room, however it didn’t work. There was 1 old TVs and 1 flat screen in the room, but only one cable box. Didn't have a view; it seems some of the rooms don't face the Boardwalk. The Hot tub and the pool upstairs were very nice, but if its luxury and room service you’re looking for, this is not the place.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

La Renaissance Hotel in Atlantic City, NJ is a great hotel. It is right on the boardwalk & beach, walking distance to casinos & has a pool & hot tub. This hotel is an "all suites" hotel that has full kitchens with everything you need, including dishes, frig, dishwasher-just bring your food. The suites are clean & roomy-we had a one bedroom & it is a good size for 2 people. They also have a "guest laundry" & ice is available. The front desk is well run-check in & check out was fast. The front desk & entire staff are friendly & very helpful. WiFi is only available in the lobby but the staff said they are working to get WiFi in the suites. This hotel is reasonable & well worth the price.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Orlando, Fl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stayed here last spring break....WORST hotel of my life. First off, you have to be BUZZED into this hotel, like a prison. The parking garage could fit 5 cars at the very most and was caged in with a huge moving fence. The rooms looked like they were 40 years old with no rennovations. Typically, the front desk LEAVES at 8pm, but we were in season so only one person was there. I could not believe if went out of season, being our room key did not work 3 times! The keys were not standard room keys, but keys looking like SD cards. All I can say was this was a horrible experience and would never recommend anyone to stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends