“Beware of Those That Rave About The Place” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flagship Resort

Flagship Resort
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Greenville, South Carolina
“Beware of Those That Rave About The Place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2005

Beware of those that loved this Resort, especially someone who owns a timeshare or someone spending one night there with his girl and writes a review that reads like it came from a brochure for the place and can recommend it for kids after spending a single Saturday night there. This is NO 5 star Hotel.

I also booked a room at the Flagship for a Saturday night but I can't tell you everything about it and I have no clue if it’s great for kids even though I have 3 boys of my own. I would need to be there for more than one day and my kids would have to be with me but I can show you pictures of it's surroundings and give it to you straight.

Check in and out is simple and fast but I wouldn't want to be in such a small lobby when it's busy but then again I don't think this place is packing them in given the Flagship's less then desirable location.

As soon as you arrive there you can just imagine what the area must have looked like about 15 years ago when crack was still big. The area has improved but unfortunately it is not from new development but instead it comes from leveling its eyesores and leaving empty dirt lots everywhere. Not much of an improvement. There are plenty of slums still plaguing the area and it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon. The casinos are a mile away and it would take an enormous boom in hotel development to reach the area. There are some new homes that went up nearby but they are too few to have any real impact on the area.

The Flagship is 32 stories tall and if you happen to stay on the top floor like I did then you better be prepared for a long wait and ride in the elevator. The best part about the top floor is that it's too high for the birds to leave you any disgusting droppings on your balcony like they do on the lower levels but if you want to step out onto the balcony and it's raining you will need an umbrella because there is no awning or roof over yours.

The parking garage is about 7 stories tall and very narrow. You enter from the front of the Flagship and follow it up along the back of the building. Alot of the spaces state "Compact Car Only" so if you bring the pickup expect to park on the street.

Unlike some people I don't think the buses are the greatest thing since sliced bread. The casinos charge only $4 to park your car there and they have plenty of spaces. I don't need to take a whirlwind bus tour of the slums of Atlantic City late at night while I’m half in the bag and no I’m not the one driving the car.

As for the room, I reserved a junior suit and it wasn't bad. Two decent size beds, small kitchen and big bathroom. Unfortunately the sliding glass door to the balcony required Hercules to open it and the room smelled a little musty. I think that's the reason why they leave the balcony door partially open before you arrive. Do yourself a favor and pick the bed closes to the door because the air conditioner vent is located on the wall across from the second bed and it blows right on it. The room is decent but if you’re looking to impress your date it's going to backfire.

The best part of the Flagship is the price, especially if you only need to stay one night. The casinos charge way too much to stay with them for one Saturday night because it breaks their room up for the weekend. You can expect to pay $300 for a Saturday night stay at one of the casinos. I stayed at the Flagship for $170.

So if your looking for something decent, inexpensive and it doesn't bother you to stay in a room located in a rundown area with no casino within walking distance then this is the place for you.

I wish the photos I posted were clearer but unfortunately all I had was my camera phone with me. They show the many empty dirt lots surrounding the Flagship and the new homes located in the rear. In one photo you can see the casinos way in the background.

• Stayed May 2005
24 Thank ten90x

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2005

My first experience (not this one) was awsome. I paid $89 per night for 2 nights through an on line service and was highly impressed. Great view, huge room for 2 people and check in not a problem. Since the first, it has not been the same. First of all, I cannot find that deal and I have tried to book this hotel during the winter months of 2004 -2005. The hotel accomodations do NOT include the use of the kitchen external essentials. Sure, the stove and microwave are available but the pots and pans and glasses in the room are locked up and even after leaving a $75 - $100 credit card imprint, these essentials are still not available. By the way, the $75 imprint (for damages) was NOT mentioned in the on-line reservation (no big deal if you have a credit card to charge to). While this hotel is located @ the very end and off of the strip, it is truly accessible to the boardwalk hotels and casinos (via hotel shuttle or own transportation) and the parking staff and space is to to die for. No fee for parking and you can park and retrieve your vehicle w/out the bother and wait of valet parking through convenient elevator access through the hotel and a parking access card for hotel facility parking that is given to you upon check-in if you own a car (I recently stayed @ the Tropicana which charged a one time fee for parking even though you are a registered guest @ $200+ a night). As you can see, I gave this hotel an above average rating and it is worth it. Given the size and comfort of rooms, location, parking, stove (if you remember your kitchen utensils), view and staff (from parking to check-in to housekeeping) it is a FANTASTIC bargain for what you get. Whenever, I travel to Altantic City, I ALWAYS check to see what is available @ the Flagship in Atlantic City, NJ .

• Stayed April 2004
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2005

This resort was not in the nicest neighborhood. The view of the water was beautiful, however. The lobby was small and crowded. A worker brought around hot baked cookies while we waited to check in. The elevators take forever. The room was large but not very clean. The carpet was stained. The mattresses were flat. There isn't a casino in this resort, and it's not close to the other hotels. Although I didn't take it, there is a shuttle that runs on limited hours to some other hotels. This resort was not worth the high price. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Atlantic City hotels

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2005

February 27, 2005

Stayed with my fiancee one night at the Flagship Resort, best known for timeshare suites, at the north end of the Atlantic City boardwalk. This is my first experience spending a night at those so-called 'timeshares'. It turns out that when the units are not occupied, they can be rented like hotel rooms for the night. Wound up here because the AC casinos wouldn't allow us to complete our week on a Saturday night, which is reserved by and large for non-paying high rollers.

Arrived early at the Flagship, checked our luggage without charge and came back later Saturday evening. Outstanding hospitality and service markt his relatively unknown yet clearly five star establishment-Flagship is safe, secure, and spotless, and a high class stop for those that come here. Desk clerk upgraded our room to a suite at no additional charge on the 8th floor. Spectacular view of the ocean, Brigantine Island and the
Atlantic city boardwalk and hotels-all for a hundred dollars-truly-you couldn't ask for more. Room had beautiful views, two televisions, living room, kitchen, dining area, nice king bedroom and furniture. A window was open and heat was off, room was well-aired. I had to close the window, and press a button on the wall to turn the heat on, but that was no problem. Room was first class, new decor, really nice touch!

Flagship has a nice restaurant on the seventh floor, as well as a beautiful swimming pool, and play area for kids. From 9 AM to midnite, a free shuttle
will take you from Flagship to the Sands Hotel, and at fifteen after the hour the free shuttle returns to the Flagship. My impressions of Flagship in AC is what you make of it. I saw all the tourist haunts, the Borgata, the Latin Quarter at Tropicana, etc etc the day I checked in here, so don't let the location fool you. If you know your way around AC the Flagship is a great experience. Please note: the Jitney buses which cover all of Atlantic City stop right in front of the Flagship for $1.50 in any direction per person you can go anywhere. There is a convenience store about a block from Flagship, and Gardner's Basin, with restaurants and lots to see, is also nearby. If arriving by bus, best to get a bus that goes to the Sands and catch the Flagship shuttle from there. As I stated earlier, the Flagship shuttle to and from the Sands is absolutely free for guests.

I don't gamble, but I was vey curious to see the sort of room people that buy these so-called 'timeshares' stay in, particularly when the weather is nice in casino venues. The Flagship's suites are world class, and well worth
the experience. Request a 12 noon checkout-they will ordinarily ask for an 11 AM checkout but will extend if you request it (we didn't know)

On a scale of 0 to 100, I give the Flagship hospitality and service a 100 and the suite a 98, the location an 80 (you will have to take the shuttles or the jitneys to travel around Atlantic City, about 5-10 minutes away-depends where you want to go. Borgata-Harrah's-Trump Marina Hotels are not on the Boardwalk, about 20 minutes on the # 3 jitney. Don't miss the Tropicana's Latin Quarter shopping area, and 'The Walk' shopping area near Bally's-Jitneys will also take you there in a few minutes. Jitney's cost $1.50 per person).

The Flagship is being operated as a first class establishment.
Flagship seems to have a following with families, and might be a more hospitable place to bring your children if you like going to Atlantic City from time to time and don't want your children exposed long term to the negative aspects of the casino environment. The suites and the service are really fantastic here. Very nice experience, highly recommended.

34 Thank Brizel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Flagship the first weekend in Janaury. I was very impressed by the view from theie suites. The rooms are very spacious and confortable. I found the staff to be very friendly and informative about the area. Each day of my stay, I was able to take a nice walk on the boardwalk, which is located in front of the property. I was extremely happy with their rates. Believe me, I had a wonderful time. THey also have a complimentary shuttle to the Sands casino every hour. This was a very convenient amenity. I will definitely come back in the future. I attached a pictue of one of their rooms, their staff allowed me to take.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lansdale, Pa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2005

I have stayed at the flagship on a couple of different occasions. The lobby is small but pleasant and the people are very helpful. Parking you can park on the street or in the garage and I believe it was free with your hotel stay. The room was a little outdated but clean. There is no room service after the restaurants close but they do offer menus for delivery. What we enjoyed most of all was the cool air conditioning and the pool with jacuzzi and as they say the price was right $79.00 a night.
They also offered a full kitchen with stove top, microwave and refridgerater and dinning room table.

18 Thank Nerak627
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2005

It's a trap! I wouldn't waste anyone's time with this timeshare trap! I got the $1000 gift cert. but I'd have to pay close to $330 in Processing & Delivery. Which doesn't make sense! The items on that website are from the '80s. --- Just put in any code that beings with "kea" and has six digits afterwards, e.g., kea123456

Personally it's just a waste of time. The round trip tickets that I got were also a scam. Ofcourse they give you the free tickets, but you've to pay 300 a night at a hotel room of their choice for a week or so. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. They also give you a buffet voucer for two to SANDS. I thought that was pretty decent. Other than that -- the whole exprience was terrible. Wouldn't go there again.

23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member