“A great place for a get-away!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Atlantic City
Metuchen, New Jersey
“A great place for a get-away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a two night (Tuesday-Thursday) stay at the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City to celebrate my birthday. We last stayed here about a decade ago when it was the Trump Marina and got a great rate to stay in a bay view room in the Golden Tower.

We usually do not go to Atlantic City, but the hotel has had great reviews and was much cheaper then spending even one night in NYC, so we gave it a try.

We were given a bay view room on the 26th. floor. The room was in great condition, totally remodeled from the Trump Marina days, with a king bed, sofa, modern bathroom and updated furnishings. The room was very clean and in excellent shape, with a very comfortable bed and a feel of luxury. The only thing that remains from the Trump days is the thin walls and the door to the adjacent room, so we were glad that we brought ear plugs! Even the normal speaking voice can be heard "loud and clear" from the adjacent room. If they offer "non-adjacent" rooms, ask for one!

I was disappointed that the Chart House was closed for both nights due to a big group staying at the hotel, but we had two great dinners at the Knife and Fork and Dock's Oyster House. We did eat lunch at Michael Patrick's which was very good. We went in to the Chart House to take a look. It is a beautiful place with a great view of the marina and the hotels that string the boardwalk. We hopefully will dine there during our next visit.

We had drinks at the Rush Lounge which had an excellent live band playing the blues on Wednesday night, and went up to sit by the H2O Lounge, which was closed at night but still had the fire pits on.

The casino seemed busy and the staff were very helpful during our stay. An added feature was free self-parking, which made it easy to come and go as we pleased for dinner.

The Golden Nugget is a beautiful property that is well-maintained. Landry's has invested about $150 million in it and it shows. We stayed at the Revel that last time we were in Atlantic City, and I found the Golden Nugget to be more "friendlier" and "lively", although the rooms at Revel are still more impressive.

If you are looking for a quick get-away, I recommend the Golden Nugget. It is a beautiful property that offers some competitive rates year-round. We were very impressed!

Room Tip: Ask for a "non-adjoining" room. Pay for the upgrade to a bay view which is nice and gives...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank timfromnj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

We go here often. It's colorful, extremely clean and the staff here makes you feel very welcome. Best in Atlantic City. Best of all, its away from the seedy boardwalk and all the undesirables on the boardwalk. Feel very safe here!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank shoregasm
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

I loved this hotel, a bit small but very nice layout! From the moment I walked into the room I thought it was lovely, the bathroom was very nice except the small tub, the room was spectacular, very upscale and modern. We booked the luxury king room plus a view of the water. They also gave us spending credit for the casino. The only bad thing I can say is the room service was horrible!! I ordered 4 things including 2 entrées and all of it was horrible don't really know what else to say about it. But other than that you will enjoy your stay...!!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElleFountaine
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Not that I’m an expert on casinos and their décor, but I will say that the Golden Nugget is very appealing in the color hues selected, warm and inviting. Guest Service staff was very professional and helpful. The views of the inlet and ocean are beautiful (we visited during very cold, but clear sunny weather).

The guest rooms are appointed nicely, modern and clean. However, there must be absolutely no insulation in the walls. In the early morning hours, the guests next door arrived at their room. They sounded like a bunch of young men having a great time, however, if felt like they were right in our room!

The morning breakfast buffet was surprisingly good! Wide selection of foods ranging from pastries and croissants to corn beef hash and omelet station.

We came to watch the NCAA tournament games and only wish they had an actual sports bar televising all the games and other sports happening that week. Perhaps it isn’t a popular concept since AC does not allow sports betting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HalliePhiladelphia
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a couple nights with my wife over mid-winter break.

We thought the place was stylish with the new renovation.

My wife had a massage in the spa. She says the spa facilities are very nice, and the massage was great.

We had dinner at the chart house and enjoyed the delicious food and nice water view.

Nice, clean, modern and comfortable room. We had no complaints and will be back again.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank MFK40
Englewood, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

On the recommendation of a friend who goes to AC all the time, I chose the Golden Nugget as my home base for my first trip to the "Las Vegas of the East." Her advice was sound. The Golden Nugget was solid, if unspectacular. The casino itself was nice, clean, and had the usual wide variety of games to play (gambling isn't my thing, so I can't speak to that directly). The in-casino food offerings were fairly good and predictably overpriced -- the exception being the higher-end restaurants. I ate at The Chart House and Vic and Anthony's; both were expensive, but definitely worth the price. My room was beautiful, with a decent view, and was very clean. I went during the very beginning of the "off season," but the hotel was still very busy and had a great atmosphere. My only gripe is the location -- it's pretty far from the strip. It's only like a 5-10 minute drive by car, but I would've liked to be able to walk "home" after a night of drinking. That said, if I return, I'd definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Matt F
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The problems I had with the hotel may be more due to Atlantic City and the atmosphere it attracts. This was my first experience with Atlantic City and I had very little preconceptions prior to arriving.

The hotel is clean, modern and you can tell it has been newly renovated. Whilst we were there, we had a walk around some of the other hotels and this has to be one of the more modern looking ones. It had a very powerful shower which is nice but a very annoying sink where the water splashes everywhere. Also, there isn't many amenities in the bathroom for a 4* hotel. We were also given a smoking room when we originally requested a non-smoking room and it did feel like you were suffocating in smoke. I don't smoke and this really bothered me. However, they had no other rooms available and as it was only 1 night, I put up with it.

The location of the hotel is not on the boardwalk which is a bit of a nuisance so you are limited to what you can do in the immediate vicinity. However, as this is America, you are most likely to have rocked up in a car. The parking is $5 and they give you a voucher to park in one of the the hotels car park once for a couple of hours for free. I think the hotels sign up together to allow their clients to use other facilities. This is quite handy to go to the boardwalk.

We didn't use the pool, nightclub or gambling facilities so I can't comment.

I should also mention that my one night stay was a Monday night, so the vibe may be different on Friday/Saturday. We had some noisy neighbours who were constantly going in and out of their rooms and also lots of loitering in corridors with people slightly drunk. I, personally,also felt a little uncomfortable around the other hotel guests. We witnessed, a rather aggressive, potentially drunk lady swearing and shouting expletives down the phone whilst waiting for the lift.

To me, the atmosphere wasn't my cup of tea and I probably wouldn't come back to Atlantic City the next time I'm in USA. Given the vastness of America, I think there are a lot nicer places to visit, but this isn't really the hotel's fault.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lifts may be quieter simply due to less people walking past constantly.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends