Stayed on a Monday night in the middle of winter on a 24 Karat member special. This is the first time I had been to the Golden Nugget and I wasn't expecting much, but with a free night stay complete with buffet for two it seemed like it was worth a shot.
It's located off the boardwalk by Borgata, right on the Marina. You can drive your boat right up to it and dock. Unfortunately, the location means you have to drive or pay for a taxi to go to the boardwalk attractions and beach. With impending snowfall though we didn't bother to leave the casino.
The GN has been completely renovated and it is beautiful! It has a kind of retro-mod decor, with blown and stain glass through out the casino. It's really beautiful, done all in oranges, reds, and dark browns. The rooms are also done with clean lines, red accents, and beautiful fixtures. We were really impressed!
The hotel staff was very friendly, from the floor to check-in, and the hallways, elevators, and rooms were pretty clean. We had a standard king size smoking room that over-looked the outdoor pool. The shower had two shower heads, a glass door, and a shaped tub so when you sat down it curved with your body shape. The mirror had a frosted edge with lights all the way around, giving it a glow. The door also had a frosted glass front and the sink was a raised bowl rather than your typical sunk-in type. The bed was really clean and comfortable with four large sized pillows.
The room came with a couch/lounge, a large flat screen, mini fridge, and coffee maker. They also include two large bottles of VOSS water, but at $7 a piece be careful you don't open them. The alarm clock was an ihome - so you could plug you iPod or MP3 player into it, which was a nice touch. The TV had very few channels and was missing any of the standards like Discovery, History, TNT, or AMC - but we found other ways to entertain ourselves...and being a newer flat screen we were able to hook our laptop up to it.
The casino is small. There are a lot of slots and a few tables. They also just opened up a small poker room. But, they have $1 tables which made up for the smaller quantity compared to their bigger rivals. All the dealers were very friendly and everyone seemed to have a good time - a nice upgrade from the rude staff at Revel. We were able to play all night on $100.
They have a specialty chocolate shop, a coffee and sandwich shop ($3 for a bottle of coke), a wine bar, a small italian place, a steak house, buffet, and a couple of small bars. I hear they have a night club, but it was Monday night so we didn't see anything happening. We ate at the buffet, which is the only reason this wasn't a five star experience.
The buffet is small, which is ok, but it didn't seem like there was a lot of choices. The food was ok, better than the Showboat, except we spit out the cold shrimp (def weird). I wish there had been a bigger selection and the food had been fresh. Next time I would forgo the buffet, and try the steak house, but it was free and I do love all you can eat!
During the winter self-parking is free, so our stay and buffet cost nothing more than the room tax ($10). We lost less than a hundred gambling all night and the next morning. Check-in is at 4 but check-out isn't until noon so we had plenty of time to sleep in and hit the slots and tables.
Starbucks on premises, valet parking (which we didn't use), and an boardwalk style arcade rounded out the experience. The real fun came in their outdoor pool area. A large heated pool and four hot tubs next to a couch and working fire pit area made for a lovely evening. It was really cold getting from the hot tub to the elevators, but the hot tubs look over the Borgata and at the stars. Music is piped outside and in the summer there's a bar. It was very romantic for those few couples brave enough to face the cold! But, then again the cold is the reason we had the place almost to ourselves!
Overall, this was one of my favorite experiences. I would like to go on on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday to see what the night life is like. There weren't too many people and not a lot to do when we were done gambling...but the staff, decor, and amenities made it well worth it! We will definitely stay here again and I recommend signing up for the 24 Karat membership - they have the best membership rewards so far of all the casinos we have a membership at.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Nugget Atlantic City, winner of the AAA Four Diamond award, is a premier resort destination located on the Frank S. Farley Marina and offers guests 727 beautifully remodeled rooms and suites. The entire property has just completed a $150 million renovation, taking on a fresh, modern look to include a high-energy casino featuring the most popular slot and video poker machines, table games, and poker room; nightly entertainment, new bars and lounges, stylish retail offerings, as well as Landry’s signature world-class restaurants such as Chart House and Vic & Anthony’s Steakhouse; a luxury spa and salon; and H20 poolside lounge. New owners, Landry’s,Inc, have introduced first-class accommodations, exquisite dining options and fun-filled entertainment venues unlike anything else available in Atlantic City. The Golden Nugget has already established strong brand recognitionworldwide with locations in both Las Vegas and Laughlin, NV. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Otel, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Golden Nugget reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Nugget Hotel Atlantic City
- Trump Marina Hotel
- Atlantic City Trump Marina
- Trump Marina Casino Atlantic City