“Fantastic Getaway!!”
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Stayed on a Monday night in the middle of winter on a 24 Karat member special. This is the first time I had been to the Golden Nugget and I wasn't expecting much, but with a free night stay complete with buffet for two it seemed like it was worth a shot.

It's located off the boardwalk by Borgata, right on the Marina. You can drive your boat right up to it and dock. Unfortunately, the location means you have to drive or pay for a taxi to go to the boardwalk attractions and beach. With impending snowfall though we didn't bother to leave the casino.

The GN has been completely renovated and it is beautiful! It has a kind of retro-mod decor, with blown and stain glass through out the casino. It's really beautiful, done all in oranges, reds, and dark browns. The rooms are also done with clean lines, red accents, and beautiful fixtures. We were really impressed!

The hotel staff was very friendly, from the floor to check-in, and the hallways, elevators, and rooms were pretty clean. We had a standard king size smoking room that over-looked the outdoor pool. The shower had two shower heads, a glass door, and a shaped tub so when you sat down it curved with your body shape. The mirror had a frosted edge with lights all the way around, giving it a glow. The door also had a frosted glass front and the sink was a raised bowl rather than your typical sunk-in type. The bed was really clean and comfortable with four large sized pillows.

The room came with a couch/lounge, a large flat screen, mini fridge, and coffee maker. They also include two large bottles of VOSS water, but at $7 a piece be careful you don't open them. The alarm clock was an ihome - so you could plug you iPod or MP3 player into it, which was a nice touch. The TV had very few channels and was missing any of the standards like Discovery, History, TNT, or AMC - but we found other ways to entertain ourselves...and being a newer flat screen we were able to hook our laptop up to it.

The casino is small. There are a lot of slots and a few tables. They also just opened up a small poker room. But, they have $1 tables which made up for the smaller quantity compared to their bigger rivals. All the dealers were very friendly and everyone seemed to have a good time - a nice upgrade from the rude staff at Revel. We were able to play all night on $100.

They have a specialty chocolate shop, a coffee and sandwich shop ($3 for a bottle of coke), a wine bar, a small italian place, a steak house, buffet, and a couple of small bars. I hear they have a night club, but it was Monday night so we didn't see anything happening. We ate at the buffet, which is the only reason this wasn't a five star experience.

The buffet is small, which is ok, but it didn't seem like there was a lot of choices. The food was ok, better than the Showboat, except we spit out the cold shrimp (def weird). I wish there had been a bigger selection and the food had been fresh. Next time I would forgo the buffet, and try the steak house, but it was free and I do love all you can eat!

During the winter self-parking is free, so our stay and buffet cost nothing more than the room tax ($10). We lost less than a hundred gambling all night and the next morning. Check-in is at 4 but check-out isn't until noon so we had plenty of time to sleep in and hit the slots and tables.

Starbucks on premises, valet parking (which we didn't use), and an boardwalk style arcade rounded out the experience. The real fun came in their outdoor pool area. A large heated pool and four hot tubs next to a couch and working fire pit area made for a lovely evening. It was really cold getting from the hot tub to the elevators, but the hot tubs look over the Borgata and at the stars. Music is piped outside and in the summer there's a bar. It was very romantic for those few couples brave enough to face the cold! But, then again the cold is the reason we had the place almost to ourselves!

Overall, this was one of my favorite experiences. I would like to go on on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday to see what the night life is like. There weren't too many people and not a lot to do when we were done gambling...but the staff, decor, and amenities made it well worth it! We will definitely stay here again and I recommend signing up for the 24 Karat membership - they have the best membership rewards so far of all the casinos we have a membership at.

3  Thank nicole d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed January 21, 2014

After looking at some of the revie we were a litte hesitant, but what a great surprise. Great location for not being on the boardwalk, only a couple minutes away. Beautiful room, super clean. Stunning pool. And very helpful staff. Casino was nice too.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the pool, so great views of the marina, the skyline, a beautiful sunset.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Our stay here at Golden Nugget was outstanding from check-in to check-out. The front desk agent named Rob was professional and friendly. We asked for a quiet room and he honored our request with a room at the end of the hall. We did not hear any noise for the three days that we stayed here. Also, the room service cart with the dirty dishes was cleared in a timely manner. The hot tubs and fire pits were open, so my husband and I decided to try the hot tub in the middle of January ( these are outside ). It was an exhilerating experience with the wind blowing cold air around our heads while in the hot water. The casinos are giving out extra offers to those gamblers from The Atlantic Club ( we were there on its last day - I will miss the casino ). So, my husband and I went to the Player's Club here at GN for those offers. The two ladies at the Player's Club were very professional and gave us these offers - an upgrade in our player's status, free buffets, and slot money from offers at other casinos. Another thing I like about GN is the bingo on Monday. We played at both the 2PM and 7PM times. Parking is free at GN too. My husband and I will definitely be returning to Golden Nugget.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room - if the hotel is not too crowded, then this request may be honored
1  Thank MsRef
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I had stayed in the Golden Nugget in Vegas and loved it so I decided to try it this past weekend when they had some really cheap promo deals. It is by far one of the nicest casinos in AC not named Borgata or Revel. The casino floor is fairly small, but very clean and well-staffed. They have a brand new poker room too. The rooms appeared to be recently upgraded with nice bathrooms, flat screen tvs, good views, etc. The only negative is that it is "off boardwalk" and somewhat noisy with hallway noise. Employees were very friendly and checkin/checkout was a breeze. I only ate at the brassierie but it hit the spot.

1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here on a Sunday night a couple nights before New Years, finding a discounted AAA rate of $89 was the cheapest in AC. We had visited this casino a couple years ago when it was Trump Marina and remember it being horribly out of date and old, so we figured we'd try it again after the new renovations.

The garage hasn't changed, but that might be the only thing that hasn't. Even on the walk into the lower level connector up to the casino I noticed the changes right away. Gone were the old, dingy couple shops and pizza place replaced with new shops and a nice big Starbucks. So far so good. Then the escalator ride up into the main "atrium" of sorts it looked nothing like the old Trump Marina. After a 10 minute wait to check in we went up to our room, which I think was the cheapest/most basic room offered.

The room was visually appearing and did not look anything like it's predecessor. There was a stylish leather couch over by the window, a flat screen HDTV mounted on the wall, a nice comfortable bed, etc. The bathroom had some contemporary touches such as the giant glass pane that functioned as the door and a "bowl" sink. The shower was older and had a very weird glass door that opened in place of a curtain you'd usually find in this standard bathtub/shower combo. Didn't really care for it as it was somewhat leaky. There was a small fridge as well which worked fine. We could hear the people next door very easily however, and this casino seemed to have more younger "frat" type small groups of 5-8 people drinking heavily in rooms than most casinos, but not as much as Trop(which is basically the "party" casino and is mostly loud groups of young adults). Overall the room was clean though, and it had some touches that were almost on par with Borgata level even, like the couch.

As for the casino, it's not huge but definitely manageable. We signed up for their players card and got $10 for doing so which is always nice. We found games we liked and they had older classic games as well as some brand new ones. Once 10:00 hit they did have a security person standing by the elevator lobby checking room keys which I like.

We didn't eat dinner on the property so I can't comment on any restaurants. They looked nice and they had a stylish looking lounge right off the casino where people were hanging out.

I saw signs that said you could get free self parking by earning a certain number of credits. Well I earned that many and went to the kiosk and it said I qualified for it, and it said it is redeemed, just touch here to print. Well it then proceeded to tell me instead of 25 you need 40 because you are only "gold" tier (aka lowest). This was not mentioned anywhere else on their signs or on their website for this offer. This was deceptive at best and gets a full star off of this review for this.

The renovations here since the old Trump days are immediately noticeable when you walk in and they did a good job. We'd probably stay here again if we found a good deal. Just don't expect to get free parking without playing a lot more than at a Caesar's property.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank A K
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We spent the night at the Golden Nugget. Check-in was a breeze and they were very helpful.
The room was large and clean.
There are many choices of restaurants, shops, and clubs.
And then there is the casino. Plenty to do for everyone.
Don't forget your swimsuit, there's a heated pool and hot tubs. They even have horseshoe pits in the roof!

Definitely will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank NewJerseyGoodEats
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I made a reservation online for a package deal they had on Facebook. Pop-up said I needed to call as there was an issue with my card going through. First thing I said to the res agent I spoke to was make sure I'm not charged twice. I was assured nothing else went through. At check in I handed the gentleman 2 cards and told him the room was to go on my debit card and the room deposit was to go on the credit card. I'm told sure, no problem. Had to jump through hoops to get the comps included in my package. Can't use the food credit at the cheaper grab and go type place that was open, had to go to Michael Patrick's Brasserie. One word....GROSS. How hard is it to cook and flavor a burger? No taste what so ever. I was glad I didn't have to pay for that. Room was nice. Shower is poorly designed. While the double shower head was nice, it would be nicer if you could move it. The shower door is made to look nice, yet the fact that it doesn't actually close (there is about a 12 inch space between the end and the wall) results is a flooded bathroom.
The next morning I check my bank account. 2 room charges and the security deposit are all charged on my debit card. Called the front desk and explain what was done and they turn around and try to blame me. Saying the card didn't go through for the deposit so they had to put it on there. Really? You don't tell the guest that or ask for a different card? Funny, it worked when I used it later that day. Extra room charge was explained away as I requested at quote for an added day. This was posted the day prior so how does that work? Little charges that should have been put on a card the cashier was handed were charged to my room. 3 different front desk managers told me they would fax my bank and get the funds released. Never done. Nothing but lies all the way around. Valet only takes cash. Waited 15 minutes to get my car when I was the only one waiting.
No one owns up to the fact the hotel staff was at fault when it's easier to blame the guest. Well, this guest will be staying elsewhere in the future. With all the casinos hurting for business, you'd think they'd bend over backwards to keep a new customer. Not here.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo