“Beware of staying at this casino.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Monroe, New York
“Beware of staying at this casino.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked a room at Golden Nugget because I had a comp from my gambling rating. I booked a Friday night because I was going to a concert at another casino on the strip but wanted to stay off the boardwalk. I live 3 hours away and while driving realized I was going to arrive too late to check in before the concert. I called the casino check in desk and spoke to a representative at the desk. I told her we were running late and were going to need a late check in. She said that would be fine and asked what time I would be checking in. I told her I was headed to a concert so I wasn't sure. She said, "Can you give me an idea of when you expect to arrive?" I responded, "I should be there some time around midnight." She said ok. After our concert we arrived at the check in desk at 12:31am exactly. Upon arrival we were told that it was a holiday weekend and that because we didn't check in by the time we gave them they gave our room away. WHAT??? I was outraged. They then proceeded to tell me they didn't have any rooms and that there was nothing they could do. I called my host, the host on duty, and anyone else I could think of. My host never called back and still hasn't reached out to me. The host on duty also said there was nothing he could do. They told me I would not be able to stay there and that if I didn't leave the front desk they would have me removed. I told them I had no place to go and that I lived three hours away .

They said if I came back at 4am they would see if they had a room from someone that checked out early. I asked if I would have to check out at the regular time and they said YES. So basically they screw up and don't care. I asked if they could change the reservation to Saturday so I could check in at 4am and then sleep until whenever I wanted and get this...After waiting 20 minutes for them to see if they would give me a room they tell me if I want a Saturday reservation they can give me a room but I can't check in until after 5am because if I check in to a room at 4am it would be considered a Friday check in. So the room will sit empty for an hour because their computers don't allow a check in for Saturday until after 5am??? Are you kidding me? No brains to say, hey we screwed this up, lets put her in for a Friday and a Saturday stay so we can get her into her room asap??? As you can see by other posts it is a nice hotel and a great pool but it is not great when you have a problem. They just don't care. I sent them emails when I got home and never got a response. If you are going for a special occasion stay someplace else. You never know when you are going to hit traffic and if they are sold out they will sell you out in a second. I am not the first person to post about this issue so it is not just me that they did this to. On top of it they gave me a suite to compensate which was very nice but we found a washcloth on the counter in the bathroom behind a flower vase that had brown smears on it. The shower door was also broken so we couldn't shower until they sent someone up to fix it. Not good when you have been up for 23 hours waiting for a room. I don't understand how they can do that when you call to tell them you will be late. They said I told the girl I would be there by midnight and when I wasn't there they gave the room away. I never said midnight...I said some time around midnight. They didn't care and said there is nothing we can do. So if you are prepared to sit in the diner and eat $10.00 eggs while you wait five hours (until 5:30am) for your room, this is the place to stay. Otherwise take your special occasion or gambling money elsewhere. Not worth the aggravation.

Room Tip: Just hope you get one because they overbook expecting cancelations.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Karenspade27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Yes had a great time 1# place to go pool bar sweet . And my room very clean a great room for the price we paid I just cant wait to go back ***** for me five stars . Hotel was very clean . when we ordered food up to our room is very nice and came very quickly was nice & hot when we got it .. Wish I could have stayed longer we didn't want to leave .. Shower heads blast you in the morning wakes you up . Stay here you won't be disappointed . Thank you

2 Thank Glennhrobertson
TOLEDO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel seems to be recently remodeled. It is very nice inside. The rooms are small but are awesome! We loved it! The staff was helpful and accomodating and the casino was nice as well. The best part is the pool. The H2O pool area is great. Get there early if you want a chair though. From the edge of the roof (if its not blocked off as a VIP area) has a great view of the Atlantic City skyline. The pool is pretty large. They have a nice area with lounge chairs in the water to enjoy. There are 4 hot tubs so that is great. There are also waitresses walking around so you can get drinks while enjoying the water. The food up there is pretty good too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a nice one night stay get away and with the reviews, I chose the Golden Nugget. And the reviews were on point for the most part. Very enjoyable night. Great for the value. The staff were pleasant although I had a slight problem with my food order at the pool, everything else was fine.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for the 4th of July and had a great night. Rooms were modern and clean. The bed was so comfy I slept like a baby. The pool is fun but crowded so I recommend renting a daybed to guarantee a spot. Food is very good at Michael Patrick's Brasserie but service is slow. Worth the wait. And treat yourself to some ice cream at the chocolate shop. Fun time.

Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

My fiance and I stayed at the Golden Nugget this past 4th of July weekend.Up until the day i left for vacation, i would constantly check tripadvisor for reviews because i was ao excited about my trip and my first time staying at this hotel.. well everything was perfect the rooms are exactly like the pics online, the pool on the 6th floor was amazing i felt like i was in south beach or vegas. We ate at H20 Pool lounge, the buffet, and Michael Brasseries- all were great and affordable ! we had so much fun at the Nugget that we chose not to visit the Borgata.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a high floor , best views of the bay or city
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dana s
Cheektowaga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were very nice but a little smaller than expected. The hotel/casino was gorgeous. I didn't like that the lobby smelled like smoke which I found nauseating since I'm pregnant. The boardwalk was full of very strange people and bums. On my last night I was leaving the boardwalk heading back to my car and I seen four guys shooting up in a car! I was really glad at that point that the casino is about 2 miles from the boardwalk in a much nicer area. Overall I would recommend the Golden Nugget as long as cigarette smoke doesn't bother you.