“2nd Class Guests if you're staying on a Groupon”
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I highly recommend avoiding staying here on a discount, groupon, etc. Usually through Landry's Club or just plain booking you can get a good deal mid-week and that's probably the best way to go because when you stay on a Groupon you are sadly treated as a second class guest. I booked two one-night stays (for a total of two consecutive nights) which was to include spa passes and parking passes, 1 per day of my stay. GN staff insisted it was 1 per stay... but then that meant I paid full price for the second night and got no special at all. would have been cheaper if I just booked it online through orbitz or something. I brought this up with Groupon and they have tried to make amends for it.
Props to GN for quickly moving me to a new room (and even hand-delivering us the new keys) when we went into the first room and it reeked of cigarette smoke (non-smoking room!). We then went down to the hot tubs and firepits which GN announced on their own Facebook page were open again! The fire pits were NOT open and the hot tubs, while open, were not at all HOT. We're talking icy cold... colder than bath water. Let's just say that the idea to have a nice late afternoon soak got completely ruined... and there was not adequate room to soak in the regular bath tub. The next day the fire pits reopened but the hot tubs were still not hot, thankfully I had that ONE spa pass to go use the spa hot tubs.
The spa is amazing. I really enjoyed the amenities. My only complaint here is that they didn't even attempt to "upsell" us when we came to the spa. Again it's the "oh they're here on a group on; give them a bathrobe and flip flops and be done with them." I really was contemplating adding on a massage or a pedicure but they didn't inquire as to whether I wanted to see a spa menu and once I was changed into my robe I didn't want to go back to the lobby all sloppy.
As for the food, this is where GN shines. We "bar hopped" from 3-4 different restaurants taking in their happy hour specials. Great seafood at Chart House, 1/2 price sushi at Lillie's, and fantastic pizza at the Grotto.
We played some slots throughout our trip, only 1 time out of the 3 days there did a cocktail waitress approach us. I guess the days of playing and drinking are over. Overall, this resort is beautiful. The staff really could use to learn a few things about pleasing their guests, even if their guest is there on a group on. It felt like we had the scarlet letter upon us. We ate, drank, gambled, and spent money just like any other guest ! I would stay here again but I will not stay on any kind of promotion.

Room Tip: ask for a non-adjoining room. ... immediately report to the front desk if your room smells of smoke...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rutgersjd2009
Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night in March 2013, which are typically very crowded and overbooked. I received a good rate of $179 using my AAA card and calling the hotel directly. We requested a King room, non smoking and a higher floor with the city view. We purchased one of the online specials called the VIP package for $35 which included valet parking, VIP desk check in, guarantee of room type, smoking preference and floor level, spa passes, fitness center passes, turn down service and two free cocktails. When we arrived, the door man and valet lady were very helpful and friendly. We proceeded to the VIP check in desk which is actually a separate room next to the main lobby check in. Holly checked us in and was very helpful and pleasant. She verified our room selection and gave us keys to our room on the 26th floor. We went to our room, unpacked and headed to find a place for lunch. We ate sandwiches at the Bean and Bread which was reasonably priced, $24 for 2 people, and the sandwiches were tasty. It then occurred to me, I was not told anything about my other features of the VIP package we purchased. I went back to VIP check in to ask about the package details. I really wish I knew the name of the person I dealt with on this visit as she needs to realize how she appears to customers. I told her I had just checked in but did not get any information about the VIP package. She looked up my record and then said to me," I will need to check with Holly because she is very good about giving the envelope to people, Are you sure she didn't give you the tickets because she is really good about it. We record the numbers on the tickets so I will need to check with her." I repeated to her, each and every time she asked me, that no I did not get the envelope or the tickets. She left to look for Holly and returned to tell me, "Holly is really good about giving the tickets so she would have to wait until she came back, did I want to check back?" What I would like this lady to realize, is every time she said, "holly is really good about giving this out", what I heard was "I don't believe you, you are lying" Ok, so how is this the VIP treatment?? By the way, Holly did not give us the envelope at check in, which she apologized for and hand delivered the envelope! THANK YOU Holly!! I do not think I would get the VIP treatment package again as we never received the turn down service and we did not use the fitness center or the spa, and the free drinks were only at the Bar 46 where we received free drinks anyway for playing video poker. So for $35 dollars, I was embarrassed by one lady for asking for what I paid for and I received free $10 valet parking. Not a good deal for me. You may have better luck.

The tables and slot machines paid well for me and my husband. If we return to Atlantic City in the off season again we may stay at The Golden Nugget. I prefer to stay on the boardwalk but not in the cold season.

Room Tip: I prefer high floors for the view. The view of the bay is very nice during the day but the city vie...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DebraandMike
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

A very nice update to a classic AC hotel. The rooms are appointed nicely with very comfortable beds. Should be a great addition to the new AC hotel list. The bath could've been a bit a more user friendly, but still very nice. My only desire would be to get the stale cigarette smell out of the Lobby area. It reeks of so many years of smokers putting it up indoors. I think we will stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ColliPitt
Reviewed March 2, 2013

From the beginning to the end of our stay was just awesome! This hotel looks exactly like its website pictures if not better & everything is right there. The location of the hotel is away from the strip but with it's own casinos, restaurants, lounges & mall all in the inside the hotel, it makes you forget about the location. We went on Valentine's Day & the accommodations were great. Room service was very good & the buffet was beyond delicious.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Recently attended a luncheon at the Chart House in the Golden Nugget. My compliments to the Golden Nugget and its wonderful staff for the great food and service. While the food was catered by the Golden Nugget, the location at the Chart House was superb and my guests really enjoyed the experience. Look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We went for a one night stay on 2/22 the deal they offered was great. $69.00 room plus the $50 restaurant gift card. We have never stayed at this property, even when it was the Marina. I was pleaseantly surprised at the renovations, nicely done! First off I want to compliment the Hotel/casino at the caliber of the employees, everyone we encountered was wonderful and truly pleasant. The room we had was on the 16th floor and updated, in the typical AC style, the room was clean and nicely appointed, mini fridge, a safe, and a comfy king bed with nice linens. The bathroom was spotless, and modern, although I did not love the sliding glass door. My only real complaint was that they put us in an adjoining room, we could hear every word of late night drunken arguements in th room next door and the constant door slamming. I am a light sleeper so I am used waking up easily. The hotel was not at all full from what I could tell so I feel that they should not use connecting rooms whenever possible. But we will definately go back and ask for a quieter room if possible.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NJpunkin
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed one night only. We did enjoy both the Chart House Happy Hour and then dinner there as well. We knew it was going to be a little pricey, but the food was excellent! Beautiful vew of the Marina bathed in sunlight, as the sun went down. Probably a great date place for the view alone. We stayed in a standard room on the 23rd floor with a really nice view of the bay. The room was extremely small and the thermostat did not work. I set it on 65 (lowest it would go) and the room stayed a constant 78 to 80 degrees. My daughter who is always cold, said it was too warm for her. We could hear ever single word of our neighbor's conversation through the connecting door and every single noise in the hall way. I just felt very claustrophobic in the small space, so we checked out early. The bed appeared to be comfortable, but without any blankets (too warm I guess) and the bathroom was small but more than adequate. It was very clean, but the voices from beyond the wall next door did me in, I am a really light sleeper, plus it was just a little creepy.
We did not gamble and could not see the pool area. I think it would be fine for someone who just wanted to sleep and gamble, we were just looking to get away for a night and probably should have chose another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, perhaps go with a Suite for more space. The standard rooms are really crampe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family