“They cancelled my reservation but still kept the money”
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
New York City, New York
“They cancelled my reservation but still kept the money”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you don't check in by 8 pm, they will cancel your reservation and sell the room to someone else, ***even if you already paid in advance***. They claim they don't have to give you a refund, either.
I tried to check in at 11 pm, and the manager told me they cancelled my room cause it was a holiday weekend and I wasn't there by 8 pm. He said they couldn't refund my money caused I booked through expedia. He kept repeating that even though I paid in advance for the room, it wasn't actually my room till i checked in. He said it was my fault cause I should have called them to say I was late (in which case they would have "tried" (his words) to hold the room.). The manager actually said "We're like an airline, we oversell the rooms".
The worst part wasn't actually how they cancelled my room without giving me a refund; the worst part was how unapologetic the manager was and how he kept saying it was my fault for not calling them (even though I ***already paid in advance***, so why can't I check in at whatever time I feel like?).
After much arguing, I eventually got a room, but I had to wait an hour for the cleaning staff to clean it first. (Not sure why it wasn't already cleaned by 11 pm). In fairness, the room was actually fairly decent, and a good price. But who cares how good the price is if they're going to keep your money while not giving you a room.
Will never go there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank M M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Finnish first
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed one night over the long weekend. We got there Sunday and left Monday. The room was very clean. We had a standard room. Plenty of space. Bathroom was a little small, but was clean and nice.
The hotel was big but not as huge as some other casino hotels. The whole place is brand new and looks nice. I was surprised thought that over a holiday weekend, that some of the restaurants were not open. We had wanted to take advantage of the 2 for 1 buffet offer that came with our room, but it was closed. Also, one of the steakhouses were closed as well.
Drink service in the casino was pretty good.
We ate meals at two restaurants there. Grotto and Michal Patricks (i think thats the name)The food was just okay for the price.
We went to happy hour at the Chart House. The drinks were great. The appatizer we had was also very good. View was great!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ginaz
philadelphia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were at the Hotel in late October for a two night stay. We had a room with a anjoining door.
The people in the room next to us kept us up most of the night. When we were checking out we spoke to the manager on duty and she said the hotel would invite us down for a free night. She sent us a letter to remind us and we just took advantage of the offer. When we arrived she was working the front desk and she checked us in. Victoria (Manager) also upgraded us to a suite. The room was great! The view,bed,bathroom,TV and kitchen set up was first class. We had dinner at Chart House and it was excellent. They have the best view of Atlantic City! I can look at it all night. This was nice peaceful night away. I can't wait to go back! Thanks

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have a great view of the wetlands.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joeyphiladelphia
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The property is fantastic, you will want for nothing. From check-in to check-out a great experience. Dining options range from "high-end" (Vic & Anthony's, amazing food) to snacks and everything in between.
The Spa, gym, and pool area are 1st rate, live music every night at The Rush Lounge can't be beat.
The friendly and helpful staff make it easy to relax and enjoy the Atlantic City experience.

"I'll be back"

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Brucep311
New York
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I really use to like to go to Atlantic city but for many year"s now I have experienced very negative thing's at many of the casinos, so therefore I have been going to other places in p.a. To just gamble, but I really enjoy staying over & my experiences at the tropicana ,harrahs,& many other casinos in a.c. have been negative because they all are very dirty & i find lots of young kids having no respect for the hotels, so I was very turned off to a.c. Well the new year had come & I called the "Golden Nugget" and spoke with Allan Korman he was so personable and very friendly i really enjoyed my conversation with him, he then asked when I would like to come & Made me a reservation. Well When I arrived to the front desk and was greeted by Annette & Emily who were very professional & courteous, i really felt comfortable & Had an awesome weekend. Everyone who works there are all so pleasant,friendly,& caring. Its a very Clean and well maintained Hotel & Casino, I was very impressed with everyone and this will be my new home because that's the feeling you get when you are there,.I must say to all of us gaming people don't give up on a.c. Till you try the "Golden Nugget" you will regain faith in Atlantic city again I promise you that, try it & you will be happy..Enjoy & Good Luck......!

Room Tip: All the hotel rooms have been renovated so I recommend any of there rooms, all are new & very cl...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lisa quick hits R
Tuckerton, New Jersey
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The GN Hotel and Casino delivers an awesome experience for their customers. It is a boutique casino hotel with all the major amenities in a resort atmosphere.
But, the Golden Nugget is even more....

"It is a people friendly place. From the Executives to your Reservationist, you will find that Customer Service is their No. 1 Priority.

Throughout the hotel, there are Upscale Lounges w/ Entertaiment, Excellent Restaurants, Retail Shops, a Pool area and a Spa. The rooms have been renovated and exhibit a warm, inviting appearance.

Located just 12 miles from the AC Airport on Absecon Inlet, you will find this charming hotel alongside the Farley State Marina. During the Spring and Summer months, The Deck is open with a full service bar, food, and nightly entertainment.

I give this hotel 5 Golden Nuggets!

Room Tip: Choose a Jr. Suite just around the corner from elevators. This is the most quiet and convenient loc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Patti S
lilskjbaby
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

The room and hotel looked beautiful. Went on Sat-Sun for my bfs 25th bday. Our room faced the city so it looked wonderful at night. We ate at Michael Patrick downstairs. The food was alright... Nothing too special. The casino was nice. Not too smokey and good music playing.

The next day we went down to the rush lounge to watch the game. There were a few ravens fans down there so it was fun. They gave great football specials. $5 food from the surrounding restaurants and $4 well drinks which included Malibu. A few drinks and apps later the tab was only about $35 which is great compared to other places... But again i think its only during football season.

The biggest complaint though is the noise through the adjoining door in the room. I could literally hear their entire convo. I had to turn the tv on just to drown them out. And they weren't being loud... Just thin doors. And the door is right next to the bed which didn't help.

Overall he had lots of fun and even won a little money. I guess next time I'll try to get a non adjoining room.

• Stayed January 2013