“Love the G-Nug! :)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Atlantic City
Ireland, Indiana
“Love the G-Nug! :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a great few days at the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City, the price of the rooms were great, and the hotel had recently been refurbished, so everything was brand new and really fresh. The room that we got on the 23rd floor was great, amazing views, bed was really comfortable, and a 2 headed power shower - loved that! The service was good, and the guys/gals in the reception desk were great. Jitney bus goes from outside the door to anywhere (pretty much) in AC. Bus stops at all the casinos, boardwalk etc.

The only downside of this hotel - the slot machines didn't pay me enough .... ;-)

1 Thank vanillaicecream6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Husband had a business trip so I tagged along. I would not have chosen this hotel on my own 1. because it was not on the boardwalk, 2. because there was no indoor pool, 3. amenities were ordinary. Anyway, when we first got there I was grossed out by the decor. I know they just had a big renovation but their decorator must have come cheap. Yuk. The room was fine. We overlooked the marina and the outdoor pool. The casino was ok, too but too much cigarette smoke. We ate at the buffet for lunch one day and that was enough for me. I love to eat but the food was nothing to write home about. We had breakfast in the brasserie ( I forget the name). The service was atrocious. We were done with our first cup of coffee before we saw our waiter.
The food was ok. I would not return there.
I can't be all negative. As I said the room was fine and the casino was fine. We had a good time but I wouldn't make any effort to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ChrisEC1
New Paltz, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

stayed at the Golden Nugget because i always stay at the Nugget in Las Vegas, so i thought i'd give it a try. The room was fine. The staff was fine. There wasn't a breakfast buffet, which i prefer. The poker room was totally empty. Not many people in the hotel as compared to the Borgata( about a 30 minute walk). The whole experience wasn't like going to a casino but an old hotel, no action, no excitment just so-so.The Golden Nugget isn't near the boardwalk, other side of town.

Room Tip: the room i had was very nice with a nice view.
Lindenhurst, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

The staff was happy, friendly, the rooms are beautiful, spotless. The dealers were better than I've seen on years! Reminded my of the old happy days of Vegas. A Classy experience. I have been a Hilton customer for years, now they stopped honoring the loyalty of the Ultra Players. We were treated so much better.

Room Tip: I have stayed in almost every Casino in AC this will be my choice in the future!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Woodbridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I love the Golden Nugget!! Annette and Emily in the VIP are very nice and take care of us every time we go. The rooms are roomy, clean and love the views!!! We have such a great time. Thanks Alan!!!!

Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed in a very comfortable and clean Marina Suite. The renovations were done to near perfection, the staff were friendly and helpful.

What a great place, everything is conveniently located.

Vic and Anthony's is fantastic ! Well worth the price.
Looking forward to coming back

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

When i stayed here, the hotel was the Trump Marina Casino and Hotel. Arriving in Atlantic City, It made me feel like i was in a seaside town in the U.K. with the sea on one side and the hotels/casions on the other side of the boardwalk.

I was rather unimpressed with the Hotel from my first glance, it looked rather old and tired from the outside, as it is pretty much next door to the swish and stylish looking Borgata. Once inside however, my impression was of a hotel with a minimal snobbery and an fresh and friendly welcome. The staff at reception told me they haven't had many visitors from the U.K and they were very helpful in guiding me around. To my delight and surprise, i found they had upgraded me to a medium size suite on the 20th floor, which had amazing views of the Boardwalk and the Atlantic ocean and Atlantic City spreading out before me. The room was very clean and the beds VERY comfortable.

The bathroom was a nice size, with a lovely big bathtub and powerful shower, from which i didn't want to leave. The shower did spill out onto the bathroom floor once or twice, but it was a very minor irk.

Being 18 at the time, i wasn't of course allowed to gamble, but i walked a round the casino floor. It seemed to me a very strange, ritualistic place, which people (mostly elderly quite alarmingly) were almost in a trance as they sat at the Blackjack tables and crowded around the craps tables.To someone who's only touch with gambling is buying the odd scratchcard, it all seemed so strange and, quite honestly, a bit depressing.

I caught a Jitney to the Boardwalk area (the hotel is some distance from the Boardwalk area). I spent a considerable amount of time on the Boardwalk, wandering up and down, popping into the other casinos and wandering around the downtown area.

The only sour-note was the attitude of the bellboys, door-staff and housekeeping staff. It being my first trip to the USA, I was unaccustomed to the tipping culture, so I was, apparently, giving very poor tips to the staff. One morning the doorman spoke to me about it, telling me it is customary to tip hotel staff for their service in their various jobs. I explained to him that it was my first foreign trip and I rather hoped he would be understanding. But no, he was adamant that I tip him (for opening a door!!) or that he would talk to the other staff members in the Hotel and make sure I was giveen poor treatment. Whilst returning to my room, I found it had not been made up, so I called reception and asked them if they could get someone to give it a quick clean. After 30 minutes, no one had come so i went down to the Reception and they came back to the room to see for themselves that the room had quite obviously not been touched. He (the manager) was very apologetic and suggested that i move rooms to a clean and tidy suite on the above floor, to which I agreed as I was still in the hotel for another 4 days. I also mention to him the conversation with the doorman, to which he again apologised and assured me the man would be spoken to and cautioned.

All in all, a very enjoyable time I had in Atlantic City. This hotel was nice when it was the Trump Marina, if a little out of town, but I would probably go to a hotel on the Boardwalk, just to be closer to the action.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo