“Great Value in the Marina District!”
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Situated in the Marina district of Atlantic City near Harrah's and Borgata, this hotel is a great value if you don't want to be on the boardwalk. The interior is huge and boasts a nice casino, a Starbuck's, a diner-type restaurant, buffets, and several shops (which are not part of the hotel but adjoin it). Check-in was slow, and no statement was slid under the door at check-out time which I found odd. The room was lovely and large, and the beds were so comfortable that I could have stayed in them all day! The bathroom is very modern, but the door doesn't lock and it is mostly smoky glass, which is not very private! The valet parking is convenient and inexpensive. A jitney stops right outside the hotel, so that's really convenient and the best way to get to the boardwalk. The decor is a bit cheesy and over-the-top, but then, so is most of Atlantic City! I would stay here again unless I wanted to be on the boardwalk or in a fancier place with even more glitz!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed at Golden Nugget Wednesday thur Friday. Needed adjoining rooms which took time to find and we couldn't pre register for them. Finally 7th floor had rooms together. Rooms are updated from last years visit and upgrades to bathrooms are really nice. Good reviews on the rooms. But had an issue with the door to our room. We were changing for dinner and a man walked into our room and then said "sorry" and left. We were shocked because the door was locked and he had a key card. We called security and then came quickly and we gave the discription of the man and they went to investigate. Bottom line, there are no cameras in the hallways, but our key card can be programed to find times that we entered out rooms. Security told us that we had not closed the door hard enough and it didn't lock because of this. Again we were shocked because we thought the door locked securely when closed. Not the case! If we were not in the rooms our room could have been robbed and our friends room because we didn't lock the adjoining room doors. We were pleased with the prompt attention security gave us and the follow up to telll us what happened. But we are still stunned by the issue of how hard to closed the door. We were comped one night but hope this helps others not to go through what we did! We had the breakfast buffet, which was fine. Michael Patricks had great service and serves 24 hours for late night hunger. They have great bands on the deck and the service gals are great there, just wish they had a better dinner menu. Did a happy hour at the Charter House, great drink specials and great appetizers, steak slidders, fish tacos, coconut shrimp. Overall Golden Nugget is a average hotel with some good items like the marina and some things to work on in the future.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper avoid rooms close to the elevator. Will hear chimes all night.
Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank plainsgal
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I am pretty sure they have 28 floors (or around there) we stayed on the 24th floor which gave us a great view of the city. Upon arriving to the hotel room I didn't know what to expect since I am used to staying in smaller hotels. Once I entered the room, I loved it....large bed, large flat screen TV, couch, and lots of room to store your belongings. The bathroom was even nicer than i'm used to...glass shower door, rounded on top of the counter sink, and a double shower head. Once it came time to go to bed my boyfriend was very happy...he loved the bed, if you like a soft bed and very fluffy pillows, you'll be happy.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Freesocial2011
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was a pleasant surprise. I only stayed at the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City because it was the least expensive. The decor in the lobby seemed retro and decorated in the 70s colors and styles. The room was comfortable but the bathroom was not as functional as it should have been. The glass shower doors did not cover the entire length of the tub. It was a double shower head which was great however water sprayed on the ceilings and walls if it's not turned exactly the right way. Service was not great. I had to call several times for extra towels and a blanket. Never got them the first night and got them the next morning after my third call. Other than that it was great.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I booked this hotel based on previous reviews and the great price that I got from Travelocity. Remember the saying "you get what you pay for". The hotel is not located anywhere near the boardwalk and the other major casinos. Check-in took forever even though there were only 2 people ahead of me and the double beds I requested were unavailable. It took us three tries to get a hotel room that had a bathroom free of hair and toothpaste on the light switches. Housekeeping needs additional training! All three rooms smelled of stale smoke and the hallways smelled like a sewer. The walls are paper thin...we could here the conversations in the rooms next to us plus every hotel door slamming shut. The plus side was that the hotel was nicely decorated with a great pool area. The dining options were fine, also.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel if you would like a restful night sleep!
1  Thank Vlygrl72
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We spent 4 days at the Golden Nugget in AC. We booked the luxury room which had a king size bed, a couch, flat screen tv, mini bar, closet and plenty of room for us. The bathroom is modern, the tub has two shower heads with plenty of pressure and hot water. The towels were large and we had plenty. The room was clean-housekeeping came everyday and we saw no signs of neglect in the room.
The pool was nice 4 jacuzzi's, 2 pools -1 of them had lounge chairs in it. We had no problem finding a chair. The pool gets the sun all day which is nice. There are 3 cabanas available for rent but on the day we were there (Tuesday), they were charging $175.00 for them. That was more then what we paid for the room! I can't imagine what they charge on a Friday or Saturday when it gets crowded.
The Spa is very nice, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, showers, lockers and plenty of space to relax. They do offer many services.
There is a buffet at the hotel but it is nothing to brag about. We did have breakfast there but other than that we went outside the hotel to eat. We did not try any of the restaurants.
We paid about $100. per night for the room which was well worth it.
Tip: If you are looking to spend a couple of days at the beach, in any of the towns close to AC, take a look at the Golden Nugget. The rooms are much cheaper (Mon thru Thurs) than what you will find at any of the other beach towns. If you want to lay on the beach all day the ones in AC by the casinos on the boardwalk are nice and free and there are lifeguards on duty. AC is only about a 30-45 minute drive from Wildwood & Cape May so you can still go and enjoy the towns.
The rooms are not sound proof- we could hear people in the other room and in the hallway, but that didn't bother us durning the night because we are heavy sleepers. If your the same you won't have a problem.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Just returned from 4 nights at the Nugget and I wanted to start with an issue I see in a lot of reviews which is the smoke smell in the casino, I am unsure if they repaired something but there where no such issues the days I was there. I will say what I said last time which is the renovations are great and the pool area is wonderful. The deck was a nice break from being inside and the service and food was great out there. All staff where friendly and easy to deal with, Casino beat me this trip but I made sure I lost less then I took home on my last trip so all good. My only complaint on the entiretrip was the buffett. Breakfast was good and they made me fresh waffles if you ask and they where great. Dinner however tasted like a bag of salt was dropped on theentire meal, I went with my Parents who are die hard Buffett folks and both nights we ate there it was identical food with the same taste. They need to reduce the salt and change items up during the week, The room was nice, no noise keeping me up at night and new beds are great. Overall everything was excellent except for dinner buffetwhich I would give a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Will be back and hope the buffet is addressed.