“2nd trip to Nugget this year”
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #10 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Just returned from 4 nights at the Nugget and I wanted to start with an issue I see in a lot of reviews which is the smoke smell in the casino, I am unsure if they repaired something but there where no such issues the days I was there. I will say what I said last time which is the renovations are great and the pool area is wonderful. The deck was a nice break from being inside and the service and food was great out there. All staff where friendly and easy to deal with, Casino beat me this trip but I made sure I lost less then I took home on my last trip so all good. My only complaint on the entiretrip was the buffett. Breakfast was good and they made me fresh waffles if you ask and they where great. Dinner however tasted like a bag of salt was dropped on theentire meal, I went with my Parents who are die hard Buffett folks and both nights we ate there it was identical food with the same taste. They need to reduce the salt and change items up during the week, The room was nice, no noise keeping me up at night and new beds are great. Overall everything was excellent except for dinner buffetwhich I would give a 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Will be back and hope the buffet is addressed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked the Golden Nugget mainly because of the rehab work on the rooms. We love modern decor and wanted to check it out. They did an outstanding job, perfect design and function, with every room having a great view. Because of some reviews that mentioned stale smoke smell still noticible, we went expecting to have to put up with it. Got in the elevator from the garage, no smell. Entered the casino, nothing. Got out of elevator on our floor, nothing. Went in the room, same. Everywhere it was only obvious that they have an excellent air filtration system in place. Either those reviews were written prior to its implementation, or the authors had other motives. Our room was beyond immaculate. Even the window sill down behind the couch was dusted. Comfy bed and linens. The staff we met in the hallway were pleasant and asked us if everything was satisfactory. Check-in was fast. All in all, a perfect score. Since we also wanted to pay to go to the beach out in Brigantine, it was a great location, right by the bridge. And there is shuttle service to the boardwalk if you don't want to drive. This was TOTALLY worth the mid-week rate we paid and we look forward to returning.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We arrived after a storm and nugget was tge only hotel in AC with no water or electricity (which we werent told about until we were in the middle of cjeck in). They also had no pool. They were NOT apologetic and would barely even speak to me as I was trying to figure out what was going on (i had a group of 13!). We also had spa appointments and were told that the spa was closed until further notice. We called to cancel our apprs so we werent charged and were told that all spa appts had been cancelled. Why would no one call to notify us the spa was closed? I was shocked theyd cancel our appts without notifying us! I was shocked by the lack of customer service and lack of desire by personnel to helpremedy the situation. I will not return.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank laxgirl0022
Reviewed July 26, 2012

There were four of us (2 couples) who made reservations through Atlantic City Hotel Experts for 7/23 and 7/24/12. There were nice enough - but just keep watch of your credit card statement. Once you receive a confirmation number from them, your credit card will be charged and so you want to make sure you are not charged at the hotel again. This happened to the other couple with us. They paid upfront - like we did - when confirmation was received from AC Hotel Experts and then the Golden Nugget charged them another $96.20 for a night's stay. Someone at the Golden Nugget screwed things up for the night of 7/24 because someone came to our friends door and said that they were late checking out - BUT they had the two night reservation like we did. Then, when they checked out - they were charged and my friend thought it was the $100 security deposit they put on your credit card. Once on the road, I checked the bill and found the Golden Nuggest was charging them AGAIN for 7/24 so I had to call Golden Nugget and AC Hotel Experts to get it straightened out. Finally - they credited their credit card. First problem.

Know this - the remodeling they did to the Golden Nugget is beautiful. Our room was on the 21st floor over-looking the marina and it was great. The rooms are neatly decorated, clean and very comfortable. The double shower head - WOW - they are great. One recommendation about the shower I would have - put some sort of handle on the inside wall of the unit so that when you try to get in and out you have something to hold onto - I am under 60 and it was somewhat difficult for me. Unfortunately, you can hear the people talking in the next room.

Our buffet tickets (that came w/our packages) said buffet was open until 10 pm - unfortunately, it is only open until 8 pm. We also at dinner at Michael Patrick's restaurant in front of the buffet - DON'T. The salad was suppose to have mandarin oranges (none), the roast beef dip sandwich had no flavor and my burger was suppose to be medium well - it came out like a hockey puck. Told them about it when checking out - girl at register did not seem to care and she did nothing about it. Next morning I contacted the manager on duty and told her about it - told them the chicken pie my husband had was great and the other three things were not - she said she did not know if they could credit back our credit card because they did not have the paper work - even though we could tell her what was bad and what type of credit card it was on. Have to wait to see what happens. Second problem.

The pool on the 6th floor was wonderful - but it is loaded with children. They occupy most of the pool and most of the four hot tubs. Pool closes at 8 pm and the hot tubs at 11 pm but we did not go back up later to see what it was like.

In PA, casinos do not allow anyone under 21 on the gaming floor - in Atlantic City, they post that, but if a casino has tile running through the middle of their "playing area" children can walk through there because apparently they are not technically on the gaming floor because it is not carpeted. Third problem.

The slot machines at the Golden Nugget are old and they are not player friendly. What is top play on a 1 cent machine in PA - you are paying double, or more, for top play on their machines - if you can find 1 cent machines. Plus, the gaming area does not give you much variety on machines. I was playing one machine that I won 20 free spins on - when it began the free spins it kept giving a message of "memory check" and the wheels were not spinning as they should have been. I hit the "service button" waited almost 1/2 an hour and no one came. Finally when it was all done - I found a floor person, explained what had happened and she shrugged her shoulders saying oh well, you must have gotten your bonuses. Never opened the machine, never checked it, nothing. The only thing I got from that machine was ripped off. The casino on the boardwalk - forget it - they are just as bad. Don't bother to go to the Wild Wild West either - they have decreased their machine occupancy to about 1/3 of what it was. Fourth problem.

We travel around alot, especially to various casinos. We have stayed in a lot of places. Golden Nugget's decorating gets a "thumbs up" - but the casino, food and some of their employees need som "remodeling".

Instead of Atlantic City, I suggest you come to PA and play - especially in Wilkes Barre, were they are truely friendly and you have a new casino with new games and at least some chance of winning enough to keep you playing.

2  Thank donkey92
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband took me to the Golden Nugget for a quick overnight getaway. We had previously stayed at this hotel in its previous incarnation as Trump Marina. At the time it was old and outdated. The Golden Nugget is now shiny and new. Our room was on the 9th floor with a view of the helipad and the marina. The room was spacious and nicely appointed with granite and tile, bold patterned fabrics and a sleek leather couch. The room was equipped with a safe, hair dryer, duel-headed shower, large flat screen television and plenty of closet and drawer space. It happened to be an adjoining room, and we could hear the guests in the next room fairly easily. Thankfully they weren't loud. The room also has a thermostat but it never felt like it got as cold as we had it set to.

We booked our room through a special and received a coupon booklet with many valuable offers including free valet parking, drinks, ice cream and buffet. The coupons are good until December so we plan to return to use the remaining ones.

The pool is a new addition to the Golden Nugget and it is pretty amazing. Four hot tubs, a swimming pool and a shallow wading pool stretch the entire length of the building. Comfy cushioned loungers line up around the perimeter, in addition to cabanas and day beds that are available for rent. In the wading pool are cool loungers right in the water. Definitely a cool idea that should be utilized by other establishments or cruise ships. Security is present at the pool area, but still noticed a lot of loud mouths and there were people smoking, drinking and eating in the wading pool area. Kind of gross.

Our only complaint with the hotel was the extremely slow elevators. VERY slow. Takes a long time to get one and they stop at every floor.

2  Thank tracylesq
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed there over the weekend. Lobby and public areas were typical for casinos - loud and busy. The rooms were lovely though. All updated furnishings, carpet and bedding. The bathroom was also very updated with vessel sink, double shower head (very good water pressure), frosted glass pocket door. Wish there was more place to hang towels though.

The pool area was the absolute best. Heated main pool, lots of recliners, cabanas and day beds available for rent, four jacuzzi tubs, attentive wait service in pool area, etc.

The only complaint was the extremely thin walls between rooms. Our next door neighbor appears to be having a party. We can hear EVERYTHING! It didn't settle down until they went out to party elsewhere. This was at least 30 mins after we called the front desk to complain.

I'm not sure if I'll stay here again. All the really good things about this hotel was negated by that one bad experience. Even if this was the best hotel ever, it's not good if I can't get a decent night's sleep. They need to beef up their soundproofing between rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We stayed here for a conference. We did not have much time or inclination to gamble so I could not comment on the casino. But everything about the hotel was great. The room was very comfortable. The bed is new and great. The sofa was L-shaped with an ottoman to put you feet up after a long day. There were plugs in all the lamps so it was easy to charge any electronic devices and there was a clock with an iPod-iPhone dock. Beautiful bathroom. We were there for three days and the entire staff was more than pleasant. The entire place was clean, the food was good, there was a great band in the bar, and we just had a pleasant, enjoyable stay. We thought the rate was very very reasonable for the quality of this hotel. We will surely return.

Room Tip: We had a room with a view of the marina and bay. Lovely to wake up to. when making the reservation...