“Liked it -- but important tip, Get there early for non-smoking room!”
Review of Golden Nugget

Golden Nugget
Ranked #9 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I've stayed at the Golden Nugget several times before when it was Trump Marina. The place looks completely different. They have done an excellent job at remodeling the hotel and casino. <not so sure that they will get their investment back because of the hotel's location and odd layout.> Regardless, they have re-done the whole place and it looks great. They have made-over the pool area and added jacuzzi's - very trendy trying to emulate the feel of the GN pool in Vegas with the bar and cabanas, etc. They have certainly spent all kinds of money bringing the place to a super stylish level. <They still need to go through the place fixing and tweaking little areas where things are coming undone such a chipping new paint, cracked windows, quickly fading wallpaper in new guest room bathrooms, peeling wallpaper by garage elevators, damaged decoration and adornment.> Overall, the changes are very impressive!! The guest room we got was excellent in appearance. Up to date decor, new marble added in the bathroom. We had both a tub and a shower. The Casino looks FABULOUS! Very warm and inviting. They have added restaurants and lounges breaking up the space and giving the place a completely new vibe that should be appealing to young and old alike.

Caveat: If you get their too late (after 10pm) be prepared to get a smoking room by default. This one thing made the hotel unpleasant. Who wants to open their luggage to have their cloths have a slightly smokey odor for the entire trip? <not us.>

Room Tip: The guest room doors slam hard. Get a room at the end of the hallway so when the party-goers coming...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,412)

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Stayed here in April during soft opening. Staff were very nice and helpful including room service. Casino is well laid out and I was able to rent a motorized scooter to accommodate my disability. Definitely will plan to return.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jtorsney
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The other posters for this property are right - go here, check it out since it's new and remodeled. It looks great, but DON'T STAY HERE!!

The non-smoking room we booked filled with smoke in the evening - the worst since I took an overnight train to Shanghai. I wound up with a sore throat the next morning.

The room walls really are paper-thin. As a frequent traveler, I've stayed in countless hotels with loud guests, but I could hear everything that the loud group of 5+ people next door were saying. It didn't help that they were up until 8 am - but they were just having fun. I would expect some noise-dampening.

The pool is very small, and the food is mediocre. You are staying by the marina and not the main area, so if you want any access to the boardwalk or beach, you will have to take a cab each way, so factor that into your plans and cost.

When I return to AC, I will stay anywhere else!

1  Thank blondegeek
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I was down in Atlantic City with 8 other friends. We were down here on a golf outing. First off let me say, we did not stay at the Golden Nugget, but we did choose to go to the Chart House restaurant at the hotel, as we go on an annual golf outing every year to Atlantic City for 3 days and always go to a steakhouse one of the nights. Let me tell you, we will NOT be going back to the place, The Chart House!! Our server was good, very polite, but not very attentive. Took quite sometime for our drink orders to be taken. Next, it was very dark in the restaurant and made it very difficult to read the menu. So, we then proceed to order and asked outr server a couple different questions. One question was, is the rack of lamb a full rack? And were told, "yes". Well, needless to say, the lamb comes out and it was 4 little chops! A rack is a minumum of at least 6 chops, and for the prices we paid, it was pretty much robbery. Next, another one of us order a filet mignon with a baked potato. Well, the meat comes out on this oversized plate. It just looked lost on the plate! All that was on this huge plate was a little piece of filet mignon, 8-10 oz piece at most with some of the meat "juices". Terrible presentation!! On top of that, there was no baked potato! we had to wait close to 10 minutes for the potato to come out, which is just ridiculous! If the Golden Nugget could, don't renew the lease to The Chart House. Put the brunch back! As for the Golden Nugget itself, they did make many renovations to the lobby, casino and specialty shops. The casino is just very crowded. Tables were very close together and made it very difficult to navigate through the casino. None of the games were labled, as far as card games. Craps, roulette are pretty self explanatory, but when you are looking for a card game, 3 card poker, let it ride, black jack etc... You need to walk around and look at the table to see where the games are. There really is no organization in the Casino. Also, I was quite disappointed in the brand new poker room. I wanted to get in a game, but there was only 2 tables open, in a room with 30 tables. On a Saturday night, that is just unaccpetable. When I finally sat at a table(3 card poker) which I was at approximately 45 minutes, I had ordered a drink. I never saw the waitress again and never received my drink. I was looking forward to coming here that night and I was quite let down. I will just have to stay where I know it will be good at The Borgata!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Relbeek23
Reviewed May 20, 2012

It is after 4am as I write this and it seems an appropriate ending to a miserable stay that there are 7 people drunk, screaming and shouting in the room next to ours. The rooms on this floor are meant to accommodate 2.

I'm here for a ballroom competition and the list of horror this stay has provided is lengthy, but I'll try to sum up the worst of this place:

1. Rude staff and management. An officious staff member pulled my husband and my parents aside when we were going to my room to inform us that my parents needed a key to go our room. The line to check in and get another key was about 20 deep. I'm 38 and my parents are in their 60s. It was 2pm, I was in ballroom dance attire, and the man made a scene embarrassing me in front of other competitors. When I requested that he call his manager when the manager arrived he informed me told that his staff member was just doing his job. No apology.

2. Buffet. Went down for breakfast the next day. My husband asked for an omelet from the station. The man makes an omelet, gives it to the wrong person, tries to call that man - who is now sitting down eating it back to give it to my husband. Really? Oh, and the food is set behind these weird glass screens so you have to hunch down and have the arms of a monkey to reach some of it.

3. Daily housekeeping knock before 9am. Every morning we have been "treated" to housekeeping knocking at our door before 9am to see if we are in our room. I've never had to use the do not disturb sign at a casino before. We are typically out before 10am. Why they would wake us up EVERY day before 9am is a mystery to me.

4. An insulting/rude Staff Member at the formal dinner. At the Competition banquet we asked to have two tables put together because the members of our dance studio were over 20 people. This had not been a problem at the last competition at Ocean Place in Long Branch, NJ where the staff were actually very polite and accommodating. The staff at this dump again came over and made a scene and loudly and rudely informed our group that the servers could not be expected to serve us with two tables pushed together. No consideration for any of the guests.

5. The screaming drunk people in the room next door. We have enjoyed the screaming drunk people in the room next to ours - for the past 2 hours. We called down to security. Nothing. Not that we expected anything at this point. My husband is packing up as I finish typing this. I would drive home at after 4am rather than stay here another minute.

We usually park our small little fishing boat at the State Marina across from this dump. They have nice staff who are very friendly. The dockmaster seems quite experienced. We also enjoy the Chart House above the marina - which is in NO way affiliated with the casino. Their bartender Eric is exceptional. We thought we'd give this place a try since they just were purchased and remodeled. What a horrible mistake.

We will back to the NJ State marina again next month and we do what we always do - walk across the street to the nugget and take a taxi to the Borgata.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank FPiers
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Stayed here for two nights in the middle of the week. Drop dead gorgeous room.......bay view......and an absolutely fantastic price through online booking. Newly refurbished, great contemporary decor....spotless room, most amazing dual head shower. All staff encountered were very pleasant to deal with and very helpful. I know the prices are reduced to attract the gambling custom....... this was an awesome price for a 4 star establishment and I would not hesitate to recommend this as a great place to go. Easy to get around...in and out of the town between casinos (if so desired) by using the jifney bus...whose drivers were really helpful

Room Tip: Go for the bay/marina views, nothing like a view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at Golden Nugget for 2 nights. When we first got to the room it was nice you can tell that its just been renovated. So we got happy, but in a few seconds we got VERY disappointed, the rooms are not insolated at all , they are paper thigh so you can hear everything what’s going on in the next rooms. It feels like you staying in the room with everybody. The other disappointing thing that early in the morning, the cleaning lady just knocked ones and just walked in and sad that front desk told her that we are leaving, but we have book for two nights. We got very angry and disappointed. I would not recommend Golden Nugget to any of my friends!!!!!

2  Thank Tanya_P60795