“FEMA Refugees”

Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Atlantic City
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Yes I was a FEMA refugee being housed at the beautiful Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel. Although I wish the circumstances for our visit would have been different, I must say the staff treated us with the utmost respect and courtesy as if we were regular paying guests at the hotel. Initially, I was a little upset at the lack of amenities that this hotel had to offer inside the rooms. Then I realized that this hotel is primarily for business people who usually have expense accounts and can write off things without cost being a factor. Our situation was slightly different. We came with nothing but a suitcase having either been flooded out of our homes or lost our homes completely. We were asked for a $50 deposit either cash or credit card for incidentals in the room. I hesitatingly gave them my Visa. I had no intention of using any incidentals in the room. In addition, we were charged $20 for a refrigerator to be put in the room for the duration of our stay. I was then told it was $14.00 per day to park in their parking garage and there was no other options for parking. In addition, their rooms did not come with microwaves; only a Keurig coffee maker. In addition, free WIFI was only available in the lounge on the second floor or the main lobby on the first floor. There was no wireless Internet in the rooms. If you wanted to use the Ethernet connection in the room, it was $9.95 per day!!!! Ridiculous. Even the worst hotels have free WIFI, microwaves and refrigerators in their rooms. That part I found hard to comprehend as I stated before, this is a businessmens' hotel primarily. I guess that's another expense write off. So needless to say, I spent a lot of my time in the lobby and second floor lounge since I needed to stay in communication with my job as well as friends and family given the circumstances.

Now with that being said and given the extenuating circumstances of not only myself but over a hundred other people that were staying there as part of FEMA emergency housing, the refrigerator fee ended up being waived as well as the parking fees.....thank God! I'm not quite sure if that was the result of my phone call to Sheraton corporate or if FEMA stepped in after the mounting number of complaints about those fees.

Aside from that, the stay was wonderful...the place is spotless and the staff was courteous and knowledgeable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Linda R
SheratonAC, General Manager at Sheraton Atlantic City Convention Center Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2012

Thank you for your valuable feedback and your kind comments about our staff & hotel, we will ensure that they all know how you enjoyed your stay. Hurricane Sandy is truly something that everyone will talk about for a long time as all communities on the east coast work together to get back on their feet. The hotel was one of a very few in the area that worked directly with FEMA and was following the program that was outlined by FEMA from the very first day. It was solely the hotel decisions to waive the fees for parking & refrigerators and discount breakfast every morning – we wanted to ensure we were doing the right thing for everyone. Please understand that with all that was going on it took everyone including the hotel & FEMA a couple of days to get a smooth process in place as we changed our normal operating procedures to accommodate long term guests. We look forward to seeing you back in Atlantic City in the near future. If you have any associates who assisted you during you that you would like to be recognized please contact our executive offices we would love to reward & recognize them for you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,380)

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I am a frequent visitor to the casino-hotels in AC but this was my first stay since my youth in a non-casino hotel. We stayed Friday and Saturday nights a mere 10 days after Sandy stormed thru the area. We found everyone friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable and clean. Although the hotel is not very new, our room didn't show signs of wear. We asked for the ocean view and enjoyed the casino lights at night.

The negative was the parking. We were in town for a wedding. Some of us got free parking passes and some were charged $5. Plus the parking is under the Convention Center and a long walk from the hotel.

Everything connected with the wedding went very well.

We had lunch at the Tun tavern (my second time there) and were pleased with the wine and food.

We used the pool once and were dissappointed that the spa was outdoors and closed.

Overall, our experience was very good. Your get a more relaxing vib away from the boardwalk and casinos.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing the ocean!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KRoman4

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are glad you enjoyed the special event with us. We look forward to having you back as our guest next time you are attending a special event or just to relax.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here Aug 2012. The hotel location is very convenient to shopping, train, and restaurants. We find this hotel average. First there is no WIFI in the rooms upstairs you would need to bring extra cable that attached to the phone. The connection is slow. There is WIFI in the lobby. You can use their computers in the mezzanine level but really slow connection. The cleanliness is good but not great. Our housekeeper left us with dirty and wet towels on top of the chair, but never replaced with new ones. I'd have to call that night for towels. The housekeeper at night was very helpful he gave us more than enough towels and blankets so we gave him a good tip. We slept good, it was quiet and beds are comfortable. No complimentary breakfast. Parking is across the street, inside the convention centre it's a little inconvenient but the car was safe. We wouldn't stay here again if we can find a cheaper hotel with the amenities that we are looking for especially breakfast when you are travelling with children.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments. Please call our Executive Office we would like to discuss your stay in more.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed here many time for conventions. The convention is located next door. Also great rooms, staff, kept up!!!!

We also go there at times just to get away. Cheaper than NYC hotels. And no Loud crowds....

Room Tip: Try the corner rooms - larger spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

We are so happy to hear that our team was able to make you feel at home here at the Sheraton Atlantic City Hotel. We have shared your experience with our team and we look forward to having you as our guest soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I recently attended business meetings that were held at one of the casinos in Atlantic City. I enjoy gambling, but prefer not to be in that enviroment for prolong periods of time - specifically due to the number of smokers. I had stayed at the Sheraton on a previous visit, so I tried there again.
It was very convenient to get to my meetings, either by driving or even walking. The casino holding the meetings was only a few blocks away. The staff, from the door man who greeted me to the front desk, and also including the housekeepers were exceptional. Always smiling, always helping taking care of my needs or making suggestions. The room was spacious, and the bed comfortable. It was a nice oasis to return to after a long day of meetings.
Also had a nice dinner at the Tun Tavern which is attached to the hotel. I sat at the bar, watched both the playoffs (baseball) and MNF on the large TVs. There was a good crowd, and the choices for beer - great!

Room Tip: Ask for one faceing the ocean on a higher floor. This gives you a great view of the Atlantic City sk...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for stay with us at the Sheraton Atlantic City Hotel! We are so glad you were able to relax and feel at home. We hope welcome you back to our "Oasis" in AC.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here for three days for a work conference, and I found the room to be incredibly spacious and had a beautiful view of the other casinos, and the ocean in the distance.
The bed wasn't the most comfortable I've slept on, but the linens were comfy.
Not having free wifi in this day and age just seems silly- especially since the hotel is billed as a convention center. Also, the cell service (Verizon) was spotty- again, in a convention center this is counterintuitive.
The desk staff during the day were lovely, but the young African American man who checked me in Tuesday evening could not have been more rude.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your stay. We have shared these comments with our team and are working on the areas so we can improve for our future guests. We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again and for you to see our improvements.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I booked this hotel for 1 night to attend a concert at the Borgata in AC. I took Greyhound from Manhattan to AC, and was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was within a 10-minute walk from the bus terminal. The hotel was also positioned in the midst of the Tanger Outlets, which included great shopping options and restaurant choices, all within walking distance.
Upon checking in, I was told that the two double beds in my room were in fact full size queen beds, but based on my previous knowledge, full-size beds are the equivalent of double beds.
Nonetheless, I proceeded to my room, and was turned off by the visible stain on the toilet seat (that I wiped off myself), the scratches and marks on several walls, the crumb on the fitted sheet when I turned over the duvet, the wet areas of carpet near the bathroom and front door, the miniscule safe that could not fit my laptop, the tv remote that I had to bang to get to work, the dial tone button on the phone that was jammed, and the long strand of hair sandwiched in between the face cloths.
On a more positive note, when I called guest services, I was pleasantly greeted by a staff who informed me of the complimentary hour of internet service available on the 2nd floor of the hotel, which I did take advantage of. And this pleasant service was later overshadowed by another staff at the front desk who seemed bothered when I asked her for directions from the hotel to a particular location.
Overall, I would not recommend staying at this hotel. The rooms could benefit from a minor facelift and a simple, thorough cleaning. All staff need to treat guests with the same level of excellence.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

We are so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. we would like to oppurtunity to discuss your stay further with you, please call our Executive Office so you can explain your concerns in detail.